• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 15-1700 on optics....input

notme

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
TX
New to board
I am getting ready to spend approx $15-1700 on optics for a new Remington 700 LTR .308. I have Near base and rings on order for same. Strongly considering NightForce 3.5-15x50. She will be used mainly for targets out to 600-700 meters and some hunting.
Any other suggestions before I make the purchase?
Thanks

Re: 15-1700 on optics....input

If this is still available, you'd be missing out on a great deal.

NF scope

I have shot with 858 and actually used this scope.

Look into it and save some money.

That said, your headed in the right direction on your scope purchase. Nothing more than a NightForce is needed.

Good Luck and welcome to the Hide!

I guess it depends on what your mainly going to be doing other than hunting....like competition shooting or just shooting at the range? If all your going to do is hunt & also do a little range shooting, I think 1700 is probably too much to spend.

You can get some good glass for under 900 bucks. Lupy Mark 4, Super Snipers, Falcon Menace....Bushnell Elite series.....

Mgd45, you are probably the voice of wisdom and I thank you for sharing however, I rarely ever say "Darn, I wish I had purchased the less expensive model". I do shop price for what I want though

+1 on the NF option. I own a 5.5-22 and it is a great scope. I also have 4 USO's and would say that for the money the NF is hard to beat. As long as you have the money there is NO way I would go for less scope.

NF. There should be some good deals coming up on used SFP 3.5-15's since the FFP version has come out.

I was gonn link to the ad Russ did, but it looks like you already screwed the pooch on that deal.

Thanks for the input however, I did not "screw the pooch" nor did I mean to cause anyones blood pressure to rise. I simply wanted to ascertain whether the scope was zero stop, which it is not, and gather some personal input on the item from the seller. The gentleman who has the item advertised has listed it correctly however, I was hoping that he had left out the bit concerning the zero stop. At the price advertised, I would prefer to spend $183 more for a new product or $361 more and get what I really want.

NightForce 3.5-15x50 Zero Stop NPR1 reticle ordered
Now to wait for the Near base and rings ........
Thanks for your input

Sweet. If you didn't opt for the FFP F1, here's a little tip. Take a yardstick to the range. At a measured 100yds (don't guess, measure it-preferably with a steel tape) double check that at 15X your 10moa hash mark covers 10.5 inches. Then dial back until your 10moa mark covers 21 inches and mark the power ring-that way you can range at half power as well.
The coolest tip I heard from Randall (ar15barrels.com) at the TPRC09 match was this-while you are playing with a yardstick, adjust your NPR1 to where your 20moa hash mark on the vertical covers 36" and mark the power ring differently at that point. That mark is where you can set your power to use the NPR1 as a mil-reticle. The one moa (smaller) hash marks are 1/2mil at that setting and the 2moa (larger) hash marks will be 1 mil marks-like a leupy TMR or USO mil MPR!

Thanks for the tip, I will try it