• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

15" free float tubes, any experiences on those ?

hexades1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2005
Finland
I am building a 20" barrelled 5.56 chambered AR-15. I am planning to buy a 15" long free float tube and to put a flip-up sight at the end of it for iron-sight use and will probably use a red dot too a little later on.

The options on 15" ff-tubes seem to be Midwest 15" SS-tube and Troy Extreme Battle Rail (TRX) 15" tubes. What is the opinion on those ? I will probably put a bipod and tactical light on it so a few short rails are needed but I definately do not want a quad rail and would like to keep the rifle somewhat light and not fron heavy if possible.

I would like to get the Troy but MI SS-tubes are easier to get here in Finland. Any opinions on which one is better if used with a front sight on the tube ? Any differences on the stiffness of tubes ? Other insights on this ?

The rifle will be used on IPSC and other action shooting.

Re: 15" free float tubes, any experiences on those ?

I have an MI 15" 4 rail free float. It is lightweight but a bit fat for my hands & locks with one set screw underneath it to keep it from rotating. My next 308 rifle will have the troy TRX handguards as they are the best bang for the buck as far as light + cheap goes.

Can you get JP handguards? They are very popular here with the action shooting types I know.

I'm not a big fan of the quad rail forearms. I like to only position a rail where I need it. That being said, I have experienced both of the ones below. They are non quad rail and accept attachable rails.

JP modular hand guard 15.5" - Excellent hand guard. Rails for this one have to be purchased separately.
PRI carbon fiber free float tube 15" - Extremely light and durable. This one actually comes with two rails to place where you want them.

I have also seen a few AR's with these free float tubes and a shorter barrel combined with a suppressor. They look absolutely sick with the suppressor tucked inside the tube!

Look at Daniel Defense they are making one as well, not sure if it is 15 inches. I have handled the Troy TRX and they are a nice size in diameter and weight.

Precision reflex inc (PRI) makes a 15.3" i think, and its carbon fiber!!! I have one on my 20" with iron sights and it shoots perfectly fine. It has a little flex, but i think even the aluminum ones do at that length. It's feather weight too which the others won't be. Check them out...i couldn't be happier

John

I can get JP handguards but they are somewhat expensive here when you calculate the add-on rails etc.

With Troy one gets even the barrel wrench in the package. If I purchase it separately here it would be like 40 USD for the barrel wrench tool only.

Anyway I might be able to get my hands on the 15" TRX Extreme.