• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

150 & 200 yards with the .22lr

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Smithville, MO
www.customguncoatings.com
Thought Saturday would be a good day to go out and do a little shooting since I haven't been out in a while, couple the cold temps with the stiff wind, it was a good day to practice. I don't have any rounds loaded up for the .308, and i'll be sending it off to the holy grail of gunsmiths soon for some work, no point in doing any load development since things are going to change on it.

The wind was holding between 8 and 11mph full value (Kestrel 4000 told me so), and gusts were hitting 14-15mph, nice thing was was that it was constant across the entire distance to shoot. It sucks when you're doing some long range shooting and the wind is doing one thing at one yardage, and the complete opposite, or at least just something different at another yardage.

I had my zero set for Remington CBee22's for the backyard, and I wanted to get my SK Standard Plus zero (affordable match ammo @ $5/box) so I can start doing some squirrel sniping again now that deer season is over. Set my target box at 50y and got the zero dialed in, and punched two groups. The second group I took my time on and waited on wind conditions for each shot. The group is a fluke, I got lucky on one group with the wind the way it was. The rest of the groups that I shot were more like group 1.

12-5-09_22lr_t1.jpg

12-5-09_22lr_t2.jpg

After I set my zero I moved back to 150 yards to check my dope chart, and see what Exbal was saying. Exbal was correct on the wind, but several minutes off on the elevation, need to work on that. I printed 2 groups that turned out to be dead on with the windage correction, and my elevation correction that I had determined in a previous outing this past summer was correct rather than exbal. At 150y the extreme velocity spread from round to round really starts to show. I need to order some Eley Tenex, run it over the chrono, and then do this test again to remove the velocity variation from the equation when it comes to MOA group size at long range for the .22.

150y_22lr_12-5-09.jpg

150y_22lr_12-5-09_t2.jpg

Next I drove back to 200 yards and got setup. By this point the sun was starting to get low on the horizon, and the wind was dying down. Exbal called for 8.5moa wind, but since the wind had died down a bit, I dialed for 5 and sent my rounds. The 27moa that exbal called for, and my drop chart for 175m (191y) weren't quite enough. I needed another 3moa that my scope didn't have in it, so I just held over 3moa and send the remaining 4 rounds for the final group. You can see the 1 group of 5, the 1st round of the 2nd group printed just above, and to the left (out of view), I held over and sent the last 4. 3 hit in the group you see, one went high and just barely nicked the steel somewhere and made the strangest "zing" i've ever heard.

200y_22lr_12-5-09.jpg

200y_22lr_12-5-09_t2.jpg

Overall, I was pleased, the steel rang quite nicely for being hit was subsonic .22lr rounds. I was happy to hold average of 2moa at those distances with the wind being the way it was. I need to get a better can of paint. I used to have some great paint, but it suffered a .308 round from 800 yards when the shooter (not me) forgot to dial in the elevation change from 700 to 800 yards. I believe with better paint I can get a better coat on the steel to better see my impacts, at 200 it was hard to see some of the strikes.

I'm going to get a 20moa base ordered sometime soon and get that on so I can try 250 and perhaps 300 yards just for gits and shiggles. I'll likely try those with Eley just to see exactly how good it can do.

Branden

Re: 150 & 200 yards with the .22lr

Nice
laugh.gif
im not familiar with shooting the .22LR out to 200 but i can imaginge it would be difficult to get nice and tight groups

Nice report and good shooting, it will be extemely difficult to get better shot groups at 200 yds.

Grouping really well at normal ranges for the .22 require some solid techniques, and a lot of consistency in those. The biggest factor, that i'm personally finding, is a perfect follow through. Let me take a second to note that the tiny bughole group that I fired, was the first time i'm ever fired 5 rounds in a row that I did everything identical from round to round. I didn't even blink when the rifle discharged, and thus I could actually see the bullet in the scope go up, and then watch it make the hole in the target.

I've read, on here no less, about the "zen moment" in follow through, that was the first time i've experienced that "zen moment" where everything was perfect, and the group shows it. Odds of me doing it again.....low. Better off buying a powerball ticket, lol.

All kidding aside, my big rifle budget has been slashed pretty hard due to hours cut backs at work, and Christmas presents for my daughters, and my oldest has a birthday in a few weeks as well. As much as I would love to do more shooting with the big boy toy, my daughters faces on Christmas morning are going to give me far better memories than me hitting the steel at 1100 yards. I'll be doing a lot more rimfire shooting over the next several months because of budgeting allotments for other activities.

I kinda wish I still had my old 17hmr to compare group sizes at extreme ranges (for cartridge). I put almost 600 rounds through my old 17 before I sold it, and I have 1484 through this .22. One thing I remember of the 17 is that a breath of wind was bad. The .22, from what i'm seeing on target, is not AS sensitive to minute changes in wind, seems more predictable. Also, with the availability of match ammo for the .22, the extreme velocity spreads can be minimized whereas with he 17, that ain't happenin'.

Branden

Nice shooting Brandon. 27 MOA @ 200 yards with subsonic ammo seems to be what most of us have found that is needed for this long range .22LR shooting.

A 20 MOA Base is in my humble opinion a needed accessory for this type of shooting as to eliminate using a hold over aiming point, and couple that with a Mil-Dot scope or even a 25 or 30 MOA Base, you'll be able to stretch that long range shooting out even further.

The furthest I've shot so far has been 275 yards using my Mil-Dot scope and 20 MOA Base on my Savage MK II-FVT. I was able to get consistant hits on an 8x10 inch gong using Eley Sport.

I wish I would have tested more at 275 yards and reduced my gong size down to 7x9, 6x8, 5x7, and 4x5, just to see the results. Well, there's always next year.

Good shooting!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting Brandon. 27 MOA @ 200 yards with subsonic ammo seems to be what most of us have found that is needed for this long range .22LR shooting.

A 20 MOA Base is in my humble opinion a needed accessory for this type of shooting as to eliminate using a hold over aiming point, and couple that with a Mil-Dot scope or even a 25 or 30 MOA Base, you'll be able to stretch that long range shooting out even further.

The furthest I've shot so far has been 275 yards using my Mil-Dot scope and 20 MOA Base on my Savage MK II-FVT. I was able to get consistant hits on an 8x10 inch gong using Eley Sport.

I wish I would have tested more at 275 yards and reduced my gong size down to 7x9, 6x8, 5x7, and 4x5, just to see the results. Well, there's always next year.

Good shooting!
smile.gif

</div></div>

Joe,
I usually shoot Wolf MT but was thinking abut trying the Eley Sport. Have you shot any Wolf and found it to be better/worse in your rifle?

thanks,
Keith

Evening Keith,

I have not tried the Wolf MT, or any of the Wolf ammo as yet. It will be sometime I expect before I do as I have a lot of the Eley Sport on hand.

When I first tried the Eley Sport I really wasn't sure what to expect. However, any doubts I had about this ammo was very short lived as it performed very well in my rifle from 25 to 275 yards. I just could not see taking the next step (though I did) in looking for something better.

I also tried the Aguila Golden Eagle Target and was very pleased with it as well, though I did not see any real differnce between it and the Eley Sport (except price), so I just stayed with the Eley.

Sorry I can't be of further help but who knows, someday I very well might give the the wolf a try?
smile.gif

What optics are you using?

I have a cheap rimfire scope and I would need a scope base to reach out to 200 yards (I estimated around 22moa up from a 50 yard zero).

I'm using a Wonder Optics WOTAC 4-14x50 Gen2. Want to get one of the new ones, but alas, no available funds.

Come ups depends on the ammo, and conditions, it was in the 30's, and the BP was 29.6", I needed 30moa to hit 200 from a 50y zero, and that was shooting SK Standard Plus ammo.

Branden

I had luck with win xperts $14 for 500 at 185 around 3" with 10/22 adams and bennett, harris bipod off picnic table. my friend used it to neck shoot a squirrel at 150 all hold overs

Joe,

Wolf is manufactured by SK and sold under the Wolf brand.
SK is owned by Lapua.

Wolf is owned by wolf I think.

I have read that before that Wolf and SK were one in the same. I did not know SK was owned by Lapua however. Lapua makes some real accurate ammo as I understand it.

I will say in my 10/22 SK match works the best. It is better then wolf and lapua. As far as the ammo goes all 3 have the same head stamp. Dump all 3 manufactures out on the ground and you can't tell them apart.