• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1500+ Yards with 20" or shorter barrel?

jn11

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2011
NY
Hey Folks,
I'm new here and I tried a few searches, but couldn't come up with anything, so I'm looking to you all for some help.

I'm looking to start a new build of a rifle that's capable of shooting steel 1 MOA or less at 1500 yards. The thing is, I'd like to keep it short, as in 20 inches or less. I am able to routinely shoot my 18.5" 308 at 1000 yards, so I think I'd be able to hold up my end of the bargain. I'd like it to be a little different from what people are doing.

So, my questions are:
A) Is this possible? If not, what is the shortest you believe I could go?
and
B) What cartridge should the rifle be chambered in?

Thanks.

Re: 1500+ Yards with 20" or shorter barrel?

22LR, just aim high.

Getting there you can look into something like the 338 Norma Mag, 338 LM, 300 Norma Mag, perhaps 7-300 Norma Mag

Even with a 30" barrel in any of the above calibers a 1MOA 1500yd guarantee is a tough shoe to fill.

LOTS of things change between 1000yd and 1500yd, just like a lot changes between 500 and 1000.

You can do a .338LM with a 20" barrel. You won't be able to get the 250gr bullets to optimal speed (2900fps), but you might have enough velocity to still be supersonic at 1500 yds. You'll need about 2600fps, which might be difficult from a 20" barrel now that I think about it.

By the way, if you want a compact rifle that can shoot to a mile, you should consider a bullpup.

wow were you a marine? most people would laugh at that idea ha why such a short barrel? depending on your intent if hunting i would like a longer barrel for more speed and energy especialy at that range but target shooting if you have the ability i would stay at 20" try it i would love to see your group at 1500 if its moa that a lot of boot to fill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.S. #14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow were you a marine? most people would laugh at that idea ha why such a short barrel? depending on your intent if hunting i would like a longer barrel for more speed and energy especialy at that range but target shooting if you have the ability i would stay at 20" try it i would love to see your group at 1500 if its moa that a lot of boot to fill. </div></div>

it sure would be cool to have such a compact rifle capable of a mile though.

The bullpup SRS is compact even with a 26" barrel and good to a mile. You could go even more compact with a Covert and a custom 22" barrel and probably get close to supersonic at a mile.

oh man i would love that gun ive shot a mile before (yes with a hit) on a man sized target but a .308 and a 20 inch barel i might pick a 300 win with a 22 i know that should get you close its all about your ammo out there

Depending upon atmospheric conditions and altitude, it wouldn't be too difficult with a .308 (with 208 Amax). If you were dead set on .308 I wouldn't go shorter than 18.5". The real trick to shooting that distance with a .308 is a fast twist rate (1 in 10") and having lots of elevation adjustment available.

A good cartridge that would keep the build on the cheap side and minimize the inherent velocity-oriented inefficiency of a shorter-barreled rifle would be .300 Winchester Magnum. Don't jump on the really heavy magnums unless you want your arm torn off by recoil. The .300 has PLENTY of power to go the distance, even in a short-barreled configuration. If you want to make things slightly more difficult, .30-06 is another good option. If you want less recoil with similar range, look at the 7mms and 6.5mms, like the 6.5-284 or 7mm Remington Magnum. They do have shorter barrel life, but have what it takes to go the distance with ease.

With the aforementioned cartridges, I personally would not go shorter than 24", but you certainly could. Unless you want an excessively weak rifle with a crapload of recoil, I wouldn't go below 18.5". 18.5" will get you there, albeit with more elevation adjustment needed. I wouldn't shoot an 18.5" .300 win mag without a muzzle brake, just to let you know, not unless you have 6" of eye relief in your scope.

Have a good one
Fernandez

I had a 338 Norma with a 20" barrel that I shot out to 1500 yards. It pushed the 300 grain Berger at 2625 fps. The 338 Norma seemed to do really well in a shorter barreled rifle. You should be able to attain your goals with a 20" 338 Norma.

For a 20" bbl, here are some combo's I'd look at,

7-08, 162 AMax, RL17, 2700-2750 fps

30-06, 208 AMax, RL17, 2650 fps

338 WinMag, 250gr Scenar, RL17, 2650 fps

These should all make it to 1500 supersonic at sea level in most conditions. You could go to bigger cases, but muzzle blast will get to be really significant.

That is what am hoping for , I bought that 338 Norma from him,for that intenton of a short barrel rig. This should give me a nice short barrel rig to shoot 1500. Also some barrel life,over a 338 laupa