• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

155 lapuas varget

Re: 155 lapuas varget

When I try entering in your COAL and load data, Quick Load gives me an error on the Shank Seating Depth. What is the actual cartridge length? It seems your cases have probably expanded quite abit and that is why you are seeing what you are seeing. Have you resized any of them lately?

For my load of 46.5grs with 2.015" case length and 2.910" COAL, I get a 2.2% compressed load and the powder is up in the neck area. However, they had only been shot five times between full length resizing. At 49.2gr, I get an 8.1% compressed load.

Charger both chargers check out.
brass trim to 2.005
COAL 2.914
Federal GMN210 primers
Lapua brass
Varget 49.2 grs
155 Lapuas

According to Nosler reloading manual at 48.5 grs load density is 98%. IN the fifth editon printed on April 2002. The load works in my gun. Will it work in yours.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I would have to say USE CAUTION WORKING ANY LOADS> START LOW AND WORK TO AN SAFE LEVEL. This LOAD IS VERY HOT LOAD.</span>

Why does everyone keep questioning his load? If it works, it works. So be it. It's obviously not for every gun, but appears to work in his. I think it's pretty cool he is getting this hot of a load safely.

But, then again, don't think I'll be trying it quite this hot.
smile.gif

Do you have the lot number of your varget.

I have been hearing for years about the difference from lot to lot and never saw it in what I was using.

That`s until last year when I blew a trigger and lost 70FPS with the new batch...

I would not recommend this load in every gun. Every gun has different pressures. I even have another 308 that I know I would not try this load in.

Did they have another version of the 5r with a longer barrel? Mine is 24"

How far off the lands are you at that OAL? I'm starting at mag length, but don't mind single loading if I can get them to shoot better.

I'am over mag length. Even with my AI mags. I will post the lands here in a hour waiting for it to stop snowing in Nebraska. So far about 6" of snow. I have to shoot a match tomorrow in this.

Correction, Yes it is a 24" barrel. It is a 5r milspec Remm. hs stock. I took the stock off and put a A5 stock and pillar bed, jewell trigger, M5 floorplate. The bedding help the gun.

It is a 24" barrel. I was wrong on the barrel length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does everyone keep questioning his load? If it works, it works. So be it. It's obviously not for every gun, but appears to work in his. I think it's pretty cool he is getting this hot of a load safely.

But, then again, don't think I'll be trying it quite this hot.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Because nearly all of us shoot .308s, Scenars, and Varget, so we know what is within a reasonable range and what is too hot.

This load is outside the realm of reasonable. His coal is within .020" of mine and he is using 10% more powder for a marginal increase in velocity despite 2 more inches of barrel.

I did back my load down today. The load does work in that gun. The bolt got a little sticky the other day after 40 rounds.