• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 155 scenar in combat

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
if the military could, would it adopt the 155 scenar over the 175gr? If not, what about the 155 scenar is lacking when compared to the 175?

Re: 155 scenar in combat

Military cares a lot about terminal performance, especially terminal performance thru some obstacle. How does the 155gr Scenar perform after impact?

I did some testing for an ammo company based on the concept of using a 155 over a 175. The idea is the 155 has a far better fall angle than the 175.

The military has experimented with this concept but I dont know exactly where it stands right now but with money getting tight I bet it is dead

The 155 Scenar can be a viable military bullet.

US military reluctance comes from limited application (in 7.62mm it does best with barrels longer than 24-inches to take advantage of the BC, and in shorter carbine barrels it takes up more case space, again cutting back on velocity). It is also tons more expensive than run-of-the-mill GI Ball. You run into a return-on-investment wall when talking about capability for cost and quantity.

135-grain Match Kings are a fairly good match in shorter carbine barrels to 300-Meters -- better accuracy and faster than 147-grain GI M80 machinegun ball, 168 Match Kings, and 175s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did some testing for an ammo company based on the concept of using a 155 over a 175. The idea is the 155 has a far better fall angle than the 175.

The military has experimented with this concept but I dont know exactly where it stands right now but with money getting tight I bet it is dead </div></div>I agree. Shot a ton of 155's have done better than the 175SMK's. Close but the 155 is the winner.