• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

15x56 - Athlon Cronus vs Bushnell Forge

Beezer911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Midwest
OK - so I'm going to buy a cheap 15x56 bino - either a Bushnell Forge or a Athlon Cronus G2. Later on I'll get the Swaros, but that's not in the cards right now. When I get my "real" binos in a year or two, I'll hand whatever I buy now off to my son. Obviously, my son thinks this is a great plan since he'll end up with some decent gear for free and he'll have a pair of Swaros he might get to use one in awhile - if he asks really nicely.

So, has anyone tested the 15x56 Forge and the 15x56 Cronus head to head? The last mention of a comparison between the two was about a year ago, and they didn't actually do a head to head. I've seen one person say that they thought the Forge looked better, but it was a situation where he owned a Cronus and looked through a Forge at a match, or something. Good info, but it's an N of 1 and not a comparison under equal conditions.

So - anyone played with both of these and has any info or impressions to share?

Thx!

What are the uses for said binos?
15X is a bit high for hunting and general purpose use, usually 8 to 10 is used for that for the wider field of view and sufficient magnification.

Reactions: Beezer911
OK - so I'm going to buy a cheap 15x56 bino - either a Bushnell Forge or a Athlon Cronus G2. Later on I'll get the Swaros, but that's not in the cards right now. When I get my "real" binos in a year or two, I'll hand whatever I buy now off to my son. Obviously, my son thinks this is a great plan since he'll end up with some decent gear for free and he'll have a pair of Swaros he might get to use one in awhile - if he asks really nicely.

So, has anyone tested the 15x56 Forge and the 15x56 Cronus head to head? The last mention of a comparison between the two was about a year ago, and they didn't actually do a head to head. I've seen one person say that they thought the Forge looked better, but it was a situation where he owned a Cronus and looked through a Forge at a match, or something. Good info, but it's an N of 1 and not a comparison under equal conditions.

So - anyone played with both of these and has any info or impressions to share?

Thx!
You can get the bushy for 450 brand new if you are an OnX elite member. Don't know if that will sway your choice or not.

15X is a bit high for hunting and general purpose use, usually 8 to 10 is used for that for the wider field of view and sufficient magnification.
15x are fine if they are a substitute for a spotter. In closer range use or hunting, they are okay if you know what you are doing but they prolly won't be ideal.

I’m going to use them for spotting off a tripod at matches and for general long(er) range screwing around. I have a pair of 8X I can use for scanning and whatnot.

15x are fine if they are a substitute for a spotter. In closer range use or hunting, they are okay if you know what you are doing but they prolly won't be ideal.
I’m going to start learning to spot others at the range and help out at matches once I’m competent. These will only be used on a tripod. We go out to 1000 yards, but for matches its more like 300-600. .22 can go out to 200 or 300 but I’ve been told that tiny targets hit by tiny bullets that have lost a lot of velocity can be tougher to see without some extra mag. They’ll also be used to watch others hit p dogs while I’m letting my barrel cool down.

I have the athlons, and compared them with someone else's forges a few months ago at a match. I could resolve details on steel at range better with the Bushnells. I'd recommend them over my Athlons.

I’m going to use them for spotting off a tripod at matches and for general long(er) range screwing around. I have a pair of 8X I can use for scanning and whatnot.
Have you considered a spotting scope for your purposes? Since you'll be using it mostly on a tripod.
A 500 dollar spotting scope will likely be better than a 500 dollar pair of bino's, basically, half the glass.
I've looked through this, and found that that they are pretty dandy, not stellar, but they hold their own.

Not the head to head comparison you are looking for, but indirect experience of the Bushnell Forge.
After helping spot a couple of NRL22 and 22x matches with my trusty Leupold Mk4 spotter, the all day, single eye thing was straining. As proof of concept, I picked up the BushnelI Forge 15x56 with a .mil discount knowing I could flip them easily if 15x binoc's were not the solution or if I decided to step up to Swaro SLC. I have been happily using the Forge for over a year now. Others ask to check them out and spot stages with them and are pleasantly surprised. Will I step up to some Swaro's? Probably, but I am in no hurry to.

Tripod.2.jpg

I have the athlons, and compared them with someone else's forges a few months ago at a match. I could resolve details on steel at range better with the Bushnells. I'd recommend them over my Athlons.
Thanks - that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard the Athlons want you to be right on them to see clearly. Did the Bushnell's seem a little more forgiving to being just a little off of dead straight with eye cup in your experience?

Not the head to head comparison you are looking for, but indirect experience of the Bushnell Forge.
After helping spot a couple of NRL22 and 22x matches with my trusty Leupold Mk4 spotter, the all day, single eye thing was straining. As proof of concept, I picked up the BushnelI Forge 15x56 with a .mil discount knowing I could flip them easily if 15x binoc's were not the solution or if I decided to step up to Swaro SLC. I have been happily using the Forge for over a year now. Others ask to check them out and spot stages with them and are pleasantly surprised. Will I step up to some Swaro's? Probably, but I am in no hurry to.

View attachment 7814008
Thanks for the info! I think I'm sold on these. How do you like your tripod set-up. I'm thinking of building something like it for my bino and spotter (once I get the binos).

Thanks - that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard the Athlons want you to be right on them to see clearly. Did the Bushnell's seem a little more forgiving to being just a little off of dead straight with eye cup in your experience?
Honestly, I can't remember, I won't BS at you. I think you'll be happy with the Bushnells, and even with the Athlons. Bushnell was just a bit sharper is all that I was looking for at the time.

I love that tripod set up. It usually has the binoc's and a LRF on it with a counter and a stopwatch hanging off of it. I have since started using a tripod caddy on it and it makes for a great work station. It must be convenient as others like to ask to get in on it for jotting notes. I pretty much just fill it up with extra copies of the COF, pencils, alcohol pens, sharpies, and plastic dope cards for others to borrow.
Tripod Caddy
I also have a project in my head to make a tac table for my glass. I have the aluminum stock for it, but making one from HDPE also sounds like fun.
Abel Table

Whichever is cheaper. Both will be PRS observers just fine - looked through both myself helping out during a PRS match.

Have you considered a spotting scope for your purposes? Since you'll be using it mostly on a tripod.
A 500 dollar spotting scope will likely be better than a 500 dollar pair of bino's, basically, half the glass.
I've looked through this, and found that that they are pretty dandy, not stellar, but they hold their own.
I already have a spotter - an old Leupold. It's great and I really like it, it just gets tough to watch hits, etc cause it's a bit narrow and higher mag. I spend a lot time scanning around to find what I'm looking for. At times that's fine (like when I target shooting and want to see bullet holes in paper), but other times a pain.

Binos are 100% better for spotting at matches. Anyone who says otherwise has never tried it.

The Forges have been excellent and take an absolute beating. Tough to beat for the money.