• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

My new aac 16.5 308 patiently waiting on the Timney trigger and b&c tactical medallist stock

only the dead have seen the end of war

sytema6y.jpg

only the dead have seen the end of war

Finally I see one of these LRS stocks from Hart. Is yours a sporter contour inlet or running it in an oversize channel? What is your opinion of the stock?

Rem 700
243 win - stock barrel cut to 18
Bobby Hart stock with aluminum block
Timney trigger
New remage barrel to come in a few months. For me the short barrel carries well, but my rifle jumps a lot and hard to watch impacts. A muzzle brake is a must for me.

I believe the stock has enough room for a heavy varmint. Not positive though. Mine has a ton of room around the sporter barrel. The stock has the aluminum block in it. It required a longer front action screw. I like it. It is heavy though. Probably not heavy compared to a lot of rifles on this forum though.

This thread has all kinds of nice in it!

I'll build one myself on a rem in 308. Don't think a handier bolt action is possible then some of the ones I've seen here.

Hey guys,
I got my rifle back from my smith a few weeks back but am just now getting to the pics. Glad to join the short bus club.

Trued Remington 700 skim bedded to AX chassis
Kreiger 1:10 finished at 17" with hidden thread protector (Remington Varmit contour)
Badger knob
Cerekote in A.I. Dark Earth
Timney trigger
Badger 20 MOA base/NF rings, NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR
Smith work done by Ted Torres of Ritten Precision

I have yet to put a single round through it but I hope to fix that over Christmas. I have no doubt that its going to be a damn fine shooter!

Last edited:
Reactions: long range sponge
Hey guys,
I got my rifle back from my smith a few weeks back but am just now getting to the pics. Glad to join the short bus club.

Trued Remington 700 skim bedded to AX chassis
Kreiger 1:10 finished at 17" with hidden thread protector (Remington Varmit contour)
Badger knob
Cerekote in A.I. Dark Earth
Timney trigger
Badger 20 MOA base/NF rings, NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR
Smith work done by Ted Torres or Ritten Precision

I have yet to put a single round through it but I hope to fix that over Christmas. I have no doubt that its going to be a damn fine shooter!

The Zebra

Sure you heard that plenty already but...awesome looking rifle, let us know how she shoots.

The AI AX was apparently Made just for Short Barrels the 18.5 was Sick

cant wait to do one in 6.8 or Maybe 6.5 Creed.

Anyone know if the 6.5 will behave at 18.5" that would be great.

That's the 'Bieber'
Do a search and you're sure to find the thread. Be warned- not for the feint of heart!

Found it, Thanks!

Its a good looker, it's a bit on the heavy side for what I'm looking for but I guess barrel profile has a lot to do with that. Might try the same with a straw barrel..

Whats the furthest distance some of you guys have taking out your 16" barrels too. What kind of groups.
Thinking of building one myself but looking for more info on them
Something good for truckin around the thick woods compact and accurate to take out at distances

Ill consider this my place holder. Its a Rem700 AAC 308 cut down to 16" by ADCO. Seekings base and rings. NF3-15. Im just waiting on a Manners MCS T stock.

hu6v.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 16.5" SPS tactical in a Mcrees chassis with a USO ST-10,I shot it out to 1056yds on thanksgiving weekend.I was just shooting at a rock face out in the desert at about a 3'x3' rock,after a few adjustments I was hammering the rock. I was pretty surprised it shot that well at that distance.I'm shooting berger 185 juggernauts ,42.2 grains of varget in lapua brass.This load shoots just over 2400fps in my rifle.Elevation where I was shooting is 4250,I'm sure that didn't hurt.

This barreled action has seen the shorty thread before but I figured since it got a new EH1 with mini chassis yesterday that I would show her off again. She's 18... Inches, and he's 225 pounds.

View attachment 20545

Redirt IIRC this build started out as a factory barreled action? If so and it's still using the factory barrel i'm curious as to what velocity your getting? Cutting my 5R barrel to 18.5-20 haven't decided yet and am worried about velocity loss. I'm probably nearing 2700fps out of a 24" factory tube with 45.5gr of varget on my 178s. Hoping i can manage 2500 out of it after it's cut. Else i'd likely try and sell it for 200$ and go with a bartlein.

Its fine, however, offhand would be the last position I would attempt any meaningful shot.

Here is one of my shorty rides...Jon Beanland built Surgeon 591, .308, Timney Trigger at 2lbs. Bartlein 5R 1-11.25, cut at 18" then threaded and added the Surefire break for my can. We spiral fluted the barrel to match the same spirals on the Surgeon bolt. He is amazing. When I had Jon build it we sank it into a Sentinel stock. He went ahead and bedded the action into the McM as well. But after it arrived, I couldnt get used to it. So back in the McM A3-5 it went. Rifle is amazing. It shoots better than I do. Consistently .25 MOA of a rifle. I have rung steel at 880 yrds. Great rifle. Just super heavy...its a tank.

This is how it sits now. I prefer the McM stock...just my preference. Still on it is my S&B 5-25 P4F with MTC turrets. I had the scope coated to match the same OD color of the stock and metal.

Its fine, however, offhand would be the last position I would attempt any meaningful shot.

I get that, i mostly use my rifles for hunting, maybe 90% is hunting and 10% is bench. most hunts are stalking and the distances are very rarely over 80-90 yards. i use irons for those shots. thats were my question came from. The longer shots are always supported by bag/stick or rest.

One of the best threads I have found on here by far............got me thinking and dreaming of building a shorty.........yall are going to cost me some $$$$

Here is one of my shorty rides...Jon Beanland built Surgeon 591, .308, Timney Trigger at 2lbs. Bartlein 5R 1-11.25, cut at 18" then threaded and added the Surefire break for my can. We spiral fluted the barrel to match the same spirals on the Surgeon bolt. He is amazing. When I had Jon build it we sank it into a Sentinel stock. He went ahead and bedded the action into the McM as well. But after it arrived, I couldnt get used to it. So back in the McM A3-5 it went. Rifle is amazing. It shoots better than I do. Consistently .25 MOA of a rifle. I have rung steel at 880 yrds. Great rifle. Just super heavy...its a tank.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/hardim01/P1000555.jpg[/URL]

This is how it sits now. I prefer the McM stock...just my preference. Still on it is my S&B 5-25 P4F with MTC turrets. I had the scope coated to match the same OD color of the stock and metal.

[/QUOTE]

What's the contour?

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

Here is my finished 18" Savage .243.

That's a sweet rig! What is the twist rate? What bullets are you running out of it? Speed? My dad just got rid of his .243 with a 16" barrel, and I'm kind of wishing I'd bought it. I'm quite curious about rifles like this. Thanks for sharing.

I can finally add to this thread!

Savage with 16.1" Barrel
McMillan A5 Stock, glass bedded
Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger
Weaver Tactical 3.5-15x50 Scope

IMG_2540-vi.jpg

IMG_2539-vi.jpg

That's a sweet rig! What is the twist rate? What bullets are you running out of it? Speed? My dad just got rid of his .243 with a 16" barrel, and I'm kind of wishing I'd bought it. I'm quite curious about rifles like this. Thanks for sharing.

The barrel twist is the stock Savage twist which is 9.125 I think. I loaded up some 95 grain Berger VLD's to try, but I haven't shot it yet. May get it out this weekend. I will post velocities and how well it shot after.

I can finally add to this thread!

Savage with 16.1" Barrel
McMillan A5 Stock, glass bedded
Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger
Weaver Tactical 3.5-15x50 Scope

IMG_2540-vi.jpg

IMG_2539-vi.jpg

This is a nice set up. I'm gonna work toward something like this. Is that the surefire break and suppressor? Very nice rifle.

The barrel twist is the stock Savage twist which is 9.125 I think. I loaded up some 95 grain Berger VLD's to try, but I haven't shot it yet. May get it out this weekend. I will post velocities and how well it shot after.

Thanks for the reply! I hope you get a chance this weekend to give it test drive! I look forward to reading how it did. Thanks again! :D

Sorry for the crappy pics

Remington 700 AAC-SD 16.5"
AAC Brakeout 7.62 Muzzle Divice
AAC 7.62 Sd-N6 Suppressor
B&C Light Tactical Stock
PTG Bottom Metal
Vortex PST 4-16x50 Mil FFP
IMG_1767_zpsbd1e9005.jpg

16.5" Suppressed compared to a 20" AAC-SD
64db01ab-e8e8-4802-86f1-a4b24daad3e8_zps91c2b854.jpg

faf6ae8a-a54b-43f3-829b-9eb3348ec5b3_zps03db7b70.jpg

16.5" Suppressed Compared to AR-15 14.5" with a pined AAC Brakeout (16.25" OAL) stock fully extended
IMG_1764_zpsbe29fcd3.jpg

16.5" Compared to Ar-15
IMG_1763_zps48da6c69.jpg

Five rounds of TAP Z-Max 168gr @100yds. My hand loads with Hornday 168gr HPBT's are coming in around .5MOA-.75MOA.
IMG_1639_zpsf100e57c.jpg

Last edited:
This is a nice set up. I'm gonna work toward something like this. Is that the surefire break and suppressor? Very nice rifle.

thank you. It is a YHM Brake. I have the YHM SS Phantom and it is dam heavy.. YHM Ti Phantom is half the weight and on the way! yeah!!!

Youre welcome. I just looked into that brake. I like it. The price is way better too haha.

At $75 for each YHM Brake/Silencer-Mount, why would anyone buy any other Silencer? Every other Brake/Mount from the other brands are all $150! I have 3 YHM cans now, and do not plan to buy other brands unless they drop their prices on the mounts.

I'm looking to build a light weight 18inch shorty for scouting and wondering around the outdoors. Probably wont come across any critters beyond 300 yards .....but the possibility may present itself. Would anyone recommend a 18inch .243 or stay simple with a .223 ? I will most likely start with a tikka or remmington action. I already have a Remy.243 varminter sps that shoots 3/8 factory lead at 100 yards. Are larger barrels the best option with short barrels in the recipe? I will soon have a GAP 6.5 but I just cant justify spending lots of coin on a rifle that's probably gonna get a few bruises . ........sorry i have no pics, but with your help I can start my photo shoot soon :)