• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Re: 16-18 inch shorty rifles

Sexy sexy right there. My wallet is going to regret seeing that stumpy GAP 223 lol.

kukri_zps88d178a8.jpg

What the ups man dropped off at my work friday, A big thank you to Mike Bush, Michelle, Colton and anyone else who worked on my rifle at black ops.

Jordan,
That rifle is coming along QUITE NICELY! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ugly but handy
This is my $1700 "budget" rifle.
Rem 700 tactical .308 win 16.5"
-Bell and Carlson m40 stock
-Cdi bottom metal "props to Jeff for excellent work and turn around"
-weaver base
-Burris xtreme rings
-SS 6x42 mil/mil
-coyote tan cerakote
Weighs 11.5 with can

315F641E-04D5-4D0D-A0A4-A1A52B43FCB0-963-0000011938721B4A.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BravoSector1,

Nice rig! Love the look of the stock. Pretty cool you have a Savage 10FP in the 5R 308 version. Increasingly, they seem to be pretty scare on sales boards like GB, here, or GA. What is your typical group size at 100 with your loads (factory or handloads)? Taken it out to 1000 yet? Thanks for sharing the pic.
</div></div>

I've only got 300m to play with at my range but I'm printing a 1.7 inch 10 round group. 168gr AMAX over 42.0g of IMR 4895, CCI large rifle, with brass trimmed to spec length. I like it.

I recently sold my Armalite AR-50 in search of a more ambidextrous platform (I was shooting a right handed AR-50 left handed...not comfortable). I'm not a high volume or competitive shooter in .50BMG so I decided to focus on a platform that could be carried in the field if necessary yet have the components to be an accurate stick. Total rig weighs 16.89 lbs.

Anzio Ironworks "Idaho Light Weight" single shot .50BMG Rifle
- 18" match grade, fluted, lothar walther barrel
- Hand polished set trigger at 4.0lbs
- Chrome silicon springs
- Three lug bolt with Sako style extractor
- Fluted receiver
- Titanium firing pin
- Titanium muzzle brake
- Titanium bolt hand
Total rifle weight: 14.0 lbs.

- Atlas Bipod: 12.7 oz
- SWFA SS 6x: 20.3 oz
- Badger Ordnance MAX-50 30mm rings: 11.3 oz
- Butler Creek Flip Caps: 2.0 oz

IMG_7494.jpg

IMG_7496.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BravoSector1,

Nice rig! Love the look of the stock. Pretty cool you have a Savage 10FP in the 5R 308 version. Increasingly, they seem to be pretty scare on sales boards like GB, here, or GA. What is your typical group size at 100 with your loads (factory or handloads)? Taken it out to 1000 yet? Thanks for sharing the pic.
</div></div>

I've only got 300m to play with at my range but I'm printing a 1.7 inch 10 round group. 168gr AMAX over 42.0g of IMR 4895, CCI large rifle, with brass trimmed to spec length. I like it. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply! Pretty impressive groups. I'll check out that load. J.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jephs422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16" stiller tac30

IMG_20121014_142455.jpg
</div></div>

that came out nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: White Mamba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
that came out nice! </div></div>

Thanks! It's almost finished. Dropping it off for a teeny bit of finishing, then I'll finish the cam job on the scope and take off the brake. Can't wait to get some data with it. I've only had it long enough to run 10 rounds to break her in...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jephs422</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: White Mamba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
that came out nice! </div></div>

Thanks! It's almost finished. Dropping it off for a teeny bit of finishing, then I'll finish the cam job on the scope and take off the brake. Can't wait to get some data with it. I've only had it long enough to run 10 rounds to break her in...
</div></div>

I'd be interested in hearing about 600-800m shots with it. I'm thinking of doing 16-17" .308 bolt gun.

GAP Custom .308 w/ Templar action and 18" Bartlein. Thinking of putting a NF 2.5-10x on it to keep it lighter weight.

2012-09-01_14-43-20_262.jpg

Does good things at 200 (4 shots below). Brother shot it in a match at 600. Didn't do very well, but I blame him and the crazy wind we had.
smile.gif
I'm going to test it at 600 on the 27th. We'll see how it does then.
2012-09-01_11-11-26_253.jpg

DTA 17" Krieger 1:10 .308 with TBAC 30BA suppressor attached next to a fully extended 16" 300 Blackout
tumblr_mblmj8uJZk1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

3-shot group @ 500y 175gr SMK/Win SWAmmo
tumblr_mblmmxNdmA1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

5-shot group @ 600y 175gr SMK/Win SWAmmo
tumblr_mblmo3VbKc1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

Thought I posted in here before, but I guess not.

16.25" fluted Lilja 1:8 twist barrel, Manners MCS-T 90% CF. Wears a Delta P Design can when being shot.

20121009_173255.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DTA 17" Krieger 1:10 .308 with TBAC 30BA suppressor attached next to a fully extended 16" 300 Blackout

</div></div>

RedGoat, how do you like that DTA? I've been eyeing one for a while. Mag changes take some getting used to with the bull pup, or was it pretty easy to adjust? What about going from trigger to bolt? With them offset vs the normal parallel position, I would expect it would take a little getting used to.

Those are some fantastic groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bk ghandi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DTA 17" Krieger 1:10 .308 with TBAC 30BA suppressor attached next to a fully extended 16" 300 Blackout

</div></div>

RedGoat, how do you like that DTA? I've been eyeing one for a while. Mag changes take some getting used to with the bull pup, or was it pretty easy to adjust? What about going from trigger to bolt? With them offset vs the normal parallel position, I would expect it would take a little getting used to.

Those are some fantastic groups. </div></div>

I had no issues adapting to it. The trigger is just as smooth as any trigger I have ever used (I have never used jewell, my rifles get dirty), and the mag changes are just like any other system... practice - slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I have had time behind many great rifle systems, and I would trade them all for the versatility of the DTA. Also DTA customer service is top notch.

The DTA has a high upfront cost but if you compare the cost of 3 custom rifles with glass to a DTA with 3 conversion kits you can see were the savings are. And then you have the benefit of keeping the same stock/trigger/glass between calibers.

I'm sure you get the point, buy one you won't regret it. If for some reason you do they are easy to sell.

I just picked up this sweet little model 7 in 308 from Phoenix Custom Rifles. It started life as a 308 Model 7 CDL, with an 18" pencil barrel. I've killed several whitetail with it and 150 Nosler Ballistic Tips; best combination I have ever found. I sold it when I had a bit of magnum fever to a Marine buddy who then used it for a black bear, couple of mulies, and even a turkey, "It looks like he swallowed a cherry bomb!". I ended up trading the rifle I sold it for to the same friend, a Kimber Montana 300 WSM.

I got it back with the intention of simplifying on a light and heavy hunting rifle. I would make the model 7 the light rifle for 0-400ish yards, and a 300 Win 700P for the heavy. I'm halfway there:

2lkwtc7.jpg

swaheb.jpg

Next to a collapsed 16" AR:
2052trt.jpg

Keith did awesome work. He opened up the B&C stock to accept the Rem varmint profile barrel, repaired seveal voids, filled the hollow buttstock with MarineTex, installed and threaded the SPS Tactical takeoff barrel that I provided, installed the marksman bolt knob, then even textured and cerekoated the whole rifle. I couldnt be more pleased. It turned out even better than I expected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently sold my Armalite AR-50 in search of a more ambidextrous platform (I was shooting a right handed AR-50 left handed...not comfortable). I'm not a high volume or competitive shooter in .50BMG so I decided to focus on a platform that could be carried in the field if necessary yet have the components to be an accurate stick. Total rig weighs 16.89 lbs.

Anzio Ironworks "Idaho Light Weight" single shot .50BMG Rifle
- 18" match grade, fluted, lothar walther barrel
- Hand polished set trigger at 4.0lbs
- Chrome silicon springs
- Three lug bolt with Sako style extractor
- Fluted receiver
- Titanium firing pin
- Titanium muzzle brake
- Titanium bolt hand
Total rifle weight: 14.0 lbs.

- Atlas Bipod: 12.7 oz
- SWFA SS 6x: 20.3 oz
- Badger Ordnance MAX-50 30mm rings: 11.3 oz
- Butler Creek Flip Caps: 2.0 oz

IMG_7494.jpg

IMG_7496.jpg
</div></div>

i would change its nickname to "rattler" for 3 reasons... 1: the brake looks like a rattle snake rattler, 2: its skinny and long like a snake, 3: i bet it rattles the hell out of your shoulder at 14lbs
smile.gif
looks cool and its gotta be a lot easier than carrying that 30lb ar50 around, thanks for the pics, it needs some snake scales on it now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BESETbyAPOSTATES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Beiber24.jpg

Beiber21.jpg

Beiber22.jpg

Pistol.jpg
</div></div>

That is a SWEET set-up! Thanks for sharing. I'm very impressed by all the 'shorty' rifles on this thread. Pretty cool!

You guys suck... This site makes me spend so much money.... I saw the 16 incher from page one and loved it so much I ordered a barrel from Bugholes and now I'm scouring the net looking for a Remmy action!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine. 18.5" 1-10 308. It shoots 175s at 2650.
XM-3A1.jpg
</div></div>

What contour is that? Medium Palma?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine. 18.5" 1-10 308. It shoots 175s at 2650.
XM-3A1.jpg
</div></div>

Awesome build Emilio. 2650 is awesome you running tight bore or max load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What contour is that? Medium Palma?</div></div>

Wondering the same.

Its a Remington Varmit/PSS contour. Its not a tight bore. The ammo is a MK 316 copy. M118LR brass, 175 SMK FGMM large primer and 41.7gr of IMR 4064. No pressure signs at all.

Remington 700P in .223 with barrel cut back to 16". Same OAL as stock, but now includes the can!

IMG_2704.jpg

Savage SA in .458 Socom at 16" with 1-8" twist for 600gr Lehigh brass pills. Indiana deer gun legal without can (using JP brake) so wish me luck in 2 weeks.

rifle4photo.jpg

XM-3A1.jpg
</div></div>

Emilio, that came out great ! reminds me of the XM3 but updated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a Remington Varmit/PSS contour. Its not a tight bore. The ammo is a MK 316 copy. M118LR brass, 175 SMK FGMM large primer and 41.7gr of IMR 4064. No pressure signs at all. </div></div>

Whose barrel?

Its a Pac-Nor. I have a few barrels by them and they have always shot great.

18" Savage

[img:center]http://
FFD8CEAF-orig.jpg
[/img]

58F399EA-orig.jpg
[/img]

D844A1C2-orig.jpg
[/img]

Here's mine. Did all the work myself.

Started as a factory .308 Weatherby Vanguard.
Barrel cut and crowned to 17"
Badger 20 moa rail
CDI Precision trigger guard DBM
Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
Bedded B&C Medalist stock
Leupold 2.5-5X
Manson Tooling for barrel cutting and finishing

IMG_1126.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skkeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. Did all the work myself.

Started as a factory .308 Weatherby Vanguard.
Barrel cut and crowned to 17"
Badger 20 moa rail
CDI Precision trigger guard DBM
Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
Bedded B&C Medalist stock
Leupold 2.5-5X
Manson Tooling for barrel cutting and finishing

IMG_1126.jpg
</div></div>

I love the looks of that gun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skkeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. Did all the work myself.

IMG_1126.jpg
</div></div>

SO friggin' sweet...
shocked.gif

Ok guys after reading this thread over several times I want to cut one of my rifles down to 18". One question though. Is there a specific twist rate that works better in a .308 at 18"? Since my rifle is used for work and play I have to be sure that I'll have good accuracy results while shooting Federal GMM 168s, my duty ammo. My current barrels are Kreiger 1-11.25 twist at 22". I'll also be using a 30P with the rifle. Thanks for any info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bruno86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18" Savage

FFD8CEAF-orig.jpg
[/img]

58F399EA-orig.jpg
[/img]

D844A1C2-orig.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

I like the paint!

That is the mirror image of my Rem 700 shorty 16inch- thats in the classifieds here. Beautiful!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up this sweet little model 7 in 308 from Phoenix Custom Rifles. It started life as a 308 Model 7 CDL, with an 18" pencil barrel. I've killed several whitetail with it and 150 Nosler Ballistic Tips; best combination I have ever found. I sold it when I had a bit of magnum fever to a Marine buddy who then used it for a black bear, couple of mulies, and even a turkey, "It looks like he swallowed a cherry bomb!". I ended up trading the rifle I sold it for to the same friend, a Kimber Montana 300 WSM.

I got it back with the intention of simplifying on a light and heavy hunting rifle. I would make the model 7 the light rifle for 0-400ish yards, and a 300 Win 700P for the heavy. I'm halfway there:

2lkwtc7.jpg

swaheb.jpg

Next to a collapsed 16" AR:
2052trt.jpg

Keith did awesome work. He opened up the B&C stock to accept the Rem varmint profile barrel, repaired seveal voids, filled the hollow buttstock with MarineTex, installed and threaded the SPS Tactical takeoff barrel that I provided, installed the marksman bolt knob, then even textured and cerekoated the whole rifle. I couldnt be more pleased. It turned out even better than I expected.

</div></div>

Bolt guns really don't get much shorter than a DTA SRS Covert. A 16" barreled covert is around 26" if you take out the butt stock spacers. Any shorter and you would need a tax stamp from the NFA branch of the ATF.

DSC_3943.jpg

Here is my humble submission, just got it back today, haven't had a chance to shoot it in this configuration yet.

Rem 700 in .308. Action faced, trued, lugs lapped. Factory trigger set at a hair under 3lb, Midway bolt handle, Atlaxs DBM, 700PSS takeoff barrel cut to 18", set back, chambered with a PTG
Tactical Match Reamer, and threaded 5/8-24,B&C Stock, Larue 20MOA rail, waiting for a Vortex Viper HS Tactical to show up tomorrow. Whole things painted in Sniper Gray. This gun was a solid .75MOA shooter before, with the factory chamber, curious to see how it down. Most of the work was done by me, with the barrel and chamber done by a buddy/smith.

A very low budget build that should do everything I want to do.

IMAG0151.jpg