• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I'm picking up a used Rem700P and I am considering chopping the barrel back to 16 inches. Anyone have a shorty bolt action? Can you post pics? Specs? Thanks

Reactions: gatorbait308
Re: 16-18 inch shorty rifles

006-2.jpg

18" 243win, Krieger fluted 8 twist, threaded for suppressor.
Rem 700 fluted bolt and campfire knob. Jewell trigger. HS stock.

Reactions: onethousandmeters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">243! Huh!....</div></div>

75gr vmax's at 3000fps isn't too bad. Longer ranges I'll use the 87gr vmax at 2800-2900fps

that rifle is mainly for shooting coyotes and stuff inside 500 yards.

Reactions: Jaybird 220

Any chance of a close up of the brake and how it mates up to the barrel??

Does the brake work? More flash? Less recoil?..

The brake works great getting rid of recoil shoots pretty much just like my sons PC in .223. The rifle is loud but she can see hits through scope from bipod or rest. I ordered a Precision Carbine from the Savage special order dept. in 300wm that will be here next week. I will use the same brake on that rife with its factory 20 inch barrel.

I never heard of that carbine fom Savage. Is it new for 2011?

Be careful cutting down the barrel near/ less than 16 inches. I could be wrong, but in some states this can be considered an NFA/class 3 restricted item. Im under the impression here in texas, 16 inches is the lowest you can go. Someone please correct me if i am wrong

On another note, those rifles are awesome. Winny, im diggin your rifle. If i see right, the barrel is threaded. Do you run it suppressed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMcGinnis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful cutting down the barrel near/ less than 16 inches. I could be wrong, but in some states this can be considered an NFA/class 3 restricted item. Im under the impression here in texas, 16 inches is the lowest you can go. Someone please correct me if i am wrong </div></div>

It's not a "State" law it's a "Federal" law. Barrel length on a rifle cannot be shorter than 16" without registering it as a "Short Barreled Rifle". However if the barrel was cut to less than 16" and a muzzle device was PERMANENTLY attached to make it longer than 16" you are OK and do not need to register the rifle.

State laws can be more restrictive than that, but not less restrictive.

The brake on the .308 is silver soldered on to make it permanent so it is legal, barrel is 16.7 with brake. my new rifle with the factory 20 inch barrel will allow me to have the brake removeable. savage built me a PC in 300wm through the special order dept. The rifle will have the same mid weight/length/threaded barrel, accustock, and DBM as the PC. I wanted a shorter 300wm to go along with my Sendaro.

I am thinking of cutting my 308 rifle down to 20"

Currently it is a 23" tube.

I am thinking that there will be little velocity loss. I bought it with the idea of pushing 180s a little faster. But now I have a 375 Ruger, so I am less interested in the extra it of power . . .

So, is the increased "handiness" offest by the small velocity loss?

BMT

bmt....

I can't speak for the others that have posted in this thread, but for me the handiness is more important than the velocity loss. I ordered the Recon package from APA for a specific purpose and fills that role nicely. Its a practical-tactical rifle. It is used for work and play. A 1000 yard tack driver it is not, but out to 7-800 it works just fine, a little slower thats all.

B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bmt....

I can't speak for the others that have posted in this thread, but for me the handiness is more important than the velocity loss. </div></div>

Exactly

Initially had mine done for daughter to carry and shoot, after using it for hunting when she wasnt I hardly ever carry the 24 inch rifle anymore, her rifle is handier and shoots better. Never gone past 800yds but it was fine there. I have found I prefer them shorter and handier. I will let you all know how the 20 inch 300wm does.

CigarCop - That spiral fluting is crazy looking! Nice!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMcGinnis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful cutting down the barrel near/ less than 16 inches. I could be wrong, but in some states this can be considered an NFA/class 3 restricted item. Im under the impression here in texas, 16 inches is the lowest you can go. Someone please correct me if i am wrong </div></div>

It's not a "State" law it's a "Federal" law. Barrel length on a rifle cannot be shorter than 16" without registering it as a "Short Barreled Rifle". However if the barrel was cut to less than 16" and a muzzle device was PERMANENTLY attached to make it longer than 16" you are OK and do not need to register the rifle.

State laws can be more restrictive than that, but not less restrictive.</div></div>

Thank you for the correction.

Looks great with the suppressor, but i understand your reasoning for just going sans suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bmt....

I can't speak for the others that have posted in this thread, but for me the handiness is more important than the velocity loss. I ordered the Recon package from APA for a specific purpose and fills that role nicely. Its a practical-tactical rifle. It is used for work and play. A 1000 yard tack driver it is not, but out to 7-800 it works just fine, a little slower thats all.

B. </div></div>

Thanx to all.

I will be shooting this:

Rifle1191.jpg

At THUNDER RANCH (High Angle Class) in May.

I added M-1 Turrets and a "Tacticoool" knob since the phot was taken.

When I get back, I may well crop it (no time or $$$ to mess with it now).

BMT
BMT

Is the covert a drop
In chasis system ??

nothing DTA makes is a chassis system they are all weapon systems with proprietary parts.

DTA uses their own chassis/receiver. To have a Covert, you need to buy the DTA chassis/receiver and you can buy the caliber conversions from DTA or there are a couple Gun Smiths that do custom caliber conversions for DTA owners.

I have a DTA SRS Covert. I purchased both the 16" 8-twist that is standard for the Covert, as well as the 22" 11-twist barrel that is standard for the full-sized SRS. Directly comparing MVs for both barrels, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 16" pipe was only losing 75-100 fps to the 22". So the 16" can push 175 SMKs at around 2500-2550 fps with temps in the 20-40 degree range, probably a little faster when it's warmer. If interested, I posted a more detailed report a while back:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1597047&page=16

Fig3.jpg

muzzlebrakes.jpg

On the DTA - how long is it and how tall is it?

The AW is

Height - 7.0 (optic off) / 10.5 (with optic on)
Length - 28.5 (folded)
Width - 4.5 (folded)

Good luck

ETA - per DTA site:

Length - 28.25

The DTA Covert height (sitting flat) is ~6 1/4" (w/o optic) and ~9 1/2" (w optic). Of course, that will increase depending on how high the bipod and rear monopod are set.

Don't know the width for sure, never tried to measure it.

Lengths are as follows 16" barrel: ~29 1/2"; 22" barrel: 35 1/2". This is a little longer than the DTA values because I have the muzzle brakes installed. This could be shortened up a bit by removing one or more of the buttpad spacers, but I'm comfortable with them in and therefore haven't had a good reason to remove them.

Here's a pic comparing the Covert with the 16" barrel to a Sig 556 pistol (10.5" barrel w <span style="text-decoration: underline">no</span> stock, <span style="font-style: italic">at left</span>), and with the 22" barrel to a Sig 556 SWAT (16" barrel w M4 folding stock, <span style="font-style: italic">at right</span>). Sorry, the ruler is a little hard to see.

Fig2.jpg

Oh hell, I'll cheat a bit. Actual barrel length is 18.5, so I'm a bit over on this thread, but I can't resist the urge to pimp the new rifle a bit, so here we go:

100_2116.jpg

100_2115.jpg

100_2117.jpg

Getting into the 2580's with 175 SMK's and 178 AMAX's, in the 2830 range with 155 Scenars.

bm11,

I saw the pics of your new stick earlier this morning. You know, they look even better the 2nd time! Nice rig!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bm11,

I saw the pics of your new stick earlier this morning. You know, they look even better the 2nd time! Nice rig! </div></div>Thank you, sir.

IMHO the AX represents many positive refinements.

While I have never seen a DTA in person, it seems like a better mouse trap.

Good luck

I bought a Savage 110 (fp?) mainly for the scope that was on it. It was chambered in 300 win mag and the barrel had been cut to 16". It was very accurate, but very loud! I still have that barrel, the gun is now a 6br, I thought about using the barrel as the handle for my reloading press.
smile.gif

After reading this thread i went into the gun room and found a old ppc barrel that could be rechambered to a 16in 6mm. Just need a action and im set. Must have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this thread should be re-named and made a sticky as "The World's Shortest and Ugliest Rifles"

What y'all think? </div></div>

Usually when someone makes a joke like that they put a smilie on it so that people know they aren't just being rude. While not all these rifles are exactly my "thing", some of them (for example Winny's) are beautiful rifles. I would hope that you're just joking and not being a turd about something other people like, for the heck of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this thread should be re-named and made a sticky as "The World's Shortest and Ugliest Rifles"

Usually when someone makes a joke like that they put a smilie on it so that people know they aren't just being rude. While not all these rifles are exactly my "thing", some of them (for example Winny's) are beautiful rifles. I would hope that you're just joking and not being a turd about something other people like, for the heck of it. </div></div>

oh, my bad.

smile.gif

I take no offense to the ugly rifle comment. I would tend to agree.

However, I get the sneaking feeling that the engineers at Accuracy International didn't have looks in mind when they built it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this thread should be re-named and made a sticky as "The World's Shortest and Ugliest Rifles"

Usually when someone makes a joke like that they put a smilie on it so that people know they aren't just being rude. While not all these rifles are exactly my "thing", some of them (for example Winny's) are beautiful rifles. I would hope that you're just joking and not being a turd about something other people like, for the heck of it. </div></div>

Swan secretly loves short barrels, he just can't come out and say it. Yet