• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

psUqQ6v.jpg

Tikka Varmint in .223 cut down to 16in and threaded.

Reactions: long range sponge
This is a customers we just finished. It's our 18.5" A.C.E. Carbon Rifle featuring the Accurizing Chamber Extension. 7lbs 13 oz without optics. 6.5 Creedmoor and a proof heavy Sendero barrel.

JamieD
www.wolfprecision.net

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I will be shooting the 103 eldx this hunting season once I get a load developed for it.

It’s a criterion 7.5 twist, exactly like my old barrel but 6” shorter. The 10 rounds of my old load with 105 rdf .020 off the lands in norma brass with 39.4 h4350 got me 2780 at the 85 degrees here this morning. That would have gotten me to 2980 in the 24”.
This new barrel should speed up a tad after it gets worn in.

So I find myself wanting a shorty for hunting. I have a 26" 6.5cm, sendero contour, but I rarely shoot it due to limited access to longer ranges. Should I chop it or build another rifle in 16.5" 308? Will be run suppressed 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: trob_205
So I find myself wanting a shorty for hunting. I have a 26" 6.5cm, sendero contour, but I rarely shoot it due to limited access to longer ranges. Should I chop it or build another rifle in 16.5" 308? Will be run suppressed 100%.

I would just chop it. Otherwise you're spending more money on a different gun and still have the same problem with an excessively long barrel with no use for it.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
Is it an action that you can just order a shouldered prefit 308 for? Just do a barrel change then out to the field

If you don’t need the length for higher velocity and ever plan on running suppressed I would say just chop it. I run a 20” with suppressor and slings the 130eldm from handloads at 2800(ish) and it does very well at any distance I’ve shot it to. Furthest is just at or over 1k yards.

Is it an action that you can just order a shouldered prefit 308 for? Just do a barrel change then out to the field
No its a m70.

If you don’t need the length for higher velocity and ever plan on running suppressed I would say just chop it. I run a 20” with suppressor and slings the 130eldm from handloads at 2800(ish) and it does very well at any distance I’ve shot it to. Furthest is just at or over 1k yards.
It will be suppressed 100%. Previously planned on cutting to 22, but would rather cut to 18-20.

No its a m70.

It will be suppressed 100%. Previously planned on cutting to 22, but would rather cut to 18-20.

100% suppressed?? For sure just chop it then. You’ll have no problems at good effective hunting distances with a 20” and it will still reach out to good distances for steel target / paper shooting.

Absolutely you should chop it. I cut a 6.5 creed down from 24" to 18" and never missed a beat hunting or shooting, and it was way handier in the blind.

100% suppressed?? For sure just chop it then. You’ll have no problems at good effective hunting distances with a 20” and it will still reach out to good distances for steel target / paper shooting.
Absolutely you should chop it. I cut a 6.5 creed down from 24" to 18" and never missed a beat hunting or shooting, and it was way handier in the blind.

So should I go 18 or 20? 18 would keep it under 25 with suppressor. But 20 probably wouldn't be unmanageable. I hunt treestands, ridges and fields, and sometimes drag it through bear territory.

So should I go 18 or 20? 18 would keep it under 25 with suppressor. But 20 probably wouldn't be unmanageable. I hunt treestands, ridges and fields, and sometimes drag it through bear territory.
Try 20 and if it’s still too long then cut 2 more inches off. I have a feeling you’ll be fine with 20” + suppressor though.

Chop it! 16-18” 6.5cm still has a 20-22” 308 beat at 1000. And for hunting ranges I’d go with a stubby 6.5 all day!

So it looks like 139s and R16 might be a good place to start?

I don't have any experience with RL16. I've used the berger 130 OTM and hornady 130 & 140 ELDM and H4350 only. Been solid combos for me with easy and repeatable accuracy. I stick with the 130 weight bullets and do just fine.

Watching him chamber that proof barrel. Is that amount of run out normal? Looked like the muzzle was moving 1/2" or so.

I’ve been slowly gathering parts for a shorty build.

I had Caleb at Alpha & Omega chamber a Green Mountain blank in .243 after cutting it to 16.5”. I need to contour it yet, because even if it’s only 16.5, at 1.250” it’s a stout little bugger. I want to spin it down to about 0.875” or so. Plan is to drop it on an Origin. I picked up an HS Precision with a DBM setup, and short a trigger and some Cerakote, that’s what I got. No pics, because it’s all in pieces right now.

Should make a nice all around 600 and in rifle with the 87-95gr loads.

Reactions: CStroud
Bone stock Rem 700 16" .223 w/ Jewell HVR trigger and YHM ULT-30
IMG_20190706_161232.jpg

1/2" dot - 2nd 5 rounds of 69 SMK Fed. box ammo down the pipe
IMG_20190707_131158.jpg

Reactions: shooter65
I built an 11" 308 pistol. It's a better shooter then I figured it would be.
Don't have pictures at this time but maybe I'll take some and update this post.
I have the Remington 700 aac-sd and I'm struggling to keep velocity with the 175 smk. I use to shoot it alot at 800 on steel with it or else I probably would have shortened it for hunting / packable reasons.

Why do so many of these 16-18in guns have such massive optics? Seems weird to see 4.5-27 or 5-25 on top of them?

I am looking for an optic for my 16in fix and I am wanting small and light

Why do so many of these 16-18in guns have such massive optics? Seems weird to see 4.5-27 or 5-25 on top of them?

Small, light, tough, repeatability, ffp and a decent reticle is a hard combination to find.

I'm not a chassis guy, but I really like that build ☝

Does the folder still lock over the bolt?

While i'm usually a big proponent of ultra-shorts on short rifles, almost solely on an aesthetic basis i actually love this look. Also this is my brother's 308 which he wanted to be as heavy as possible. So he really needs a Gen II razor instead of my ATACR or the PST Gen II he owns.
IMG_5570.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking setup. Hows the weight with the NX8?
Thanks, Thats a m24 contour bartlein with TBAC Ultra9 supressor and TBAC bipod.... Handles lighter though, i guess im not used to short barrels.

Attachments

• 20190802_160745.jpg
    20190802_160745.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 278
That's about where I figured a 140 class would be might get some more after it breaks in a bit. Even still, it probably still beats a 130 at distance.