• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Still try to keep 90 percent of my rifles under 18". I just don't have too many needs for anything longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-110412.png
    Screenshot_20210103-110412.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 481
  • Screenshot_20210103-110336.png
    Screenshot_20210103-110336.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 491
@TMR137

Im in the process of building a 16” 308. If you don’t mind, what load and velocity are using out to 900.

After playing with the my ballistic app I decided to try Berger 168 hybrid targets, but would appreciate some real world data.

Reactions: Duffy1298
18” 6.5 creed built by @Deep South Tactical . Dlc’d axiom, WTO switch lug, proof 1:8, manners eh1, and a short area 419 arca rail. Should be a compact hammer with my resonator k on the end of it.
Darn near having Travis at TS Customs spin me up almost the same build. Went with a LPA Fuzion & Benchmark CF barrel though. Beautiful rig. Love that highland camo

Reactions: Mudmarine
I've been running a 16.5" 6mm Creedmoor barrels for a couple of years now with very good luck. velocities have run around 150 FPS slower than same loads in my 22" barrel. Add a suppressor and it is traditional rifle length, a very handy and fun gun.
A good friend got an 18" in 6.5 Creed barrel about a year ago and is now thinking shorter.

Cut my aiax down to 17 in's on the 308 barrel and so far, it rocks. I have not chronoed it after the cut down but don't see any reason to worry about it. I know I have lost a couple of fps but it is not anything I will worry about. It is still capable of long range shots with extreme accuracy.

The receiver is stock, I ordered the shouldered barrel and recoil lug from carbonsix in October 4th and received it today. The company had great communication and returned both of my calls within 15 minutes. Super nice and helpful.
I've got a tikka barrel on order, that i guess will be done soon. I was just curious as i've seen prefits for 700 receivers that weren't trued and didn't really understand how that worked without the receiver in hand.

Reactions: Jakeweb09
I've got a tikka barrel on order, that i guess will be done soon. I was just curious as i've seen prefits for 700 receivers that weren't trued and didn't really understand how that worked without the receiver in hand.
I’m wondering the same thing here

The receiver is stock, I ordered the shouldered barrel and recoil lug from carbonsix in October 4th and received it today. The company had great communication and returned both of my calls within 15 minutes. Super nice and helpful.
What caliber did you go with? Will be interested in what you come up with as far as velocities. I am looking hard at a 18-20" 25 or 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from them to lighten up my Tikka for a suppressed hunting rifle.

What caliber did you go with? Will be interested in what you come up with as far as velocities. I am looking hard at a 18-20" 25 or 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from them to lighten up my Tikka for a suppressed hunting rifle.
I went with 308. I was going for a lightweight hunting rifle but I couldn’t keep it under 10 lbs. It is lighter than my other 308 but that wasn’t hard to do! I don’t currently have a chronograph but will need one at some point.

Reactions: 260284
@winniethepooh Foaming at the mouth for an XM3 and you post this. It must be fate lol.

How did you source the parts? Granted mine is gonna be a wannabe and shorter. I just can’t shell out the cash for that brake and FA762. So thinking 16.5” with my 30CB9 will look pretty similar to the surefire OTB setup.

Also plan to run the new 169gr smk at 2600 or so. Should make for a hell of a rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: winniethepooh
It was a gladius clone at one point. Still need to get the ejection port done but that’s on the back burner. Awesome stock, very hand for prone or off hand
That’s funny cause i wanted a gladius also back in the day badly. But then saw the XM3 recently and have been wanting one since. Does he have more stocks?

Reactions: onethousandmeters
18" 6.5 CM barrel on an AI AX. The handguard is a long action, the can is less than a half inch from the rail.. so just about perfect.

I've got a 16" .308 barrel but I need to put the shorter handguard on it to fit.View attachment 7530955

Dammit all to hell, ur gonna make me get an aiax chassis now. I’ve been a McMillan fan for the most part, but I’m considering switching over now.

18" 6.5 CM barrel on an AI AX. The handguard is a long action, the can is less than a half inch from the rail.. so just about perfect.

I've got a 16" .308 barrel but I need to put the shorter handguard on it to fit.View attachment 7530955
Nice rifle!!!

I have a some of questions for you:
How far are you able to shoot out too with the 16" barrel?
Are you loading your own and what is the recipe if you are?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: onethousandmeters
My ladies....Junkyard Girl on top. Great little shooter. Just a bunch of parts I had laying around from over the years, take off 700P barrel @ 18 inches, used 243 action from a pawn shop, old Leupy MkIV M3, McMillan HTG bought from here. Decided to toss a Griffin GP 7 can on it along with some Kyrlon. No frills, shoots 3/4 moa with 175 smk's, just a hair under 10lbs.

Bottom is Tinkerbell and was my work rifle for years. She's on the first page of this thread when she was brand new back in the day. Built by APA as their Recon model in 2009, wearing a Tac-Ops suppressor and USO. This rifle has been carried in all sorts of conditions and has never let me down once. An absolute joy to shoot.

1611185599834.png

Was out at the range with my new 18" 223. Only shot 10 rounds, but it will be get some threads on the end so it can wear either a can or a flash hider... Have to say it does handle well and is light.

My ladies....Junkyard Girl on top. Great little shooter. Just a bunch of parts I had laying around from over the years, take off 700P barrel @ 18 inches, used 243 action from a pawn shop, old Leupy MkIV M3, McMillan HTG bought from here. Decided to toss a Griffin GP 7 can on it along with some Kyrlon. No frills, shoots 3/4 moa with 175 smk's, just a hair under 10lbs.

Bottom is Tinkerbell and was my work rifle for years. She's on the first page of this thread when she was brand new back in the day. Built by APA as their Recon model in 2009, wearing a Tac-Ops suppressor and USO. This rifle has been carried in all sorts of conditions and has never let me down once. An absolute joy to shoot.

View attachment 7533005
Tinkerbell was the rifle that inspired my shorty years ago. Cool to see your still rocking it.

View attachment 7533005
Tinkerbell also inspired my first shorty! Mine's at the bottom of page 31.

I've since sold it and had some experiences with the Q Fix, which, honestly, I never did get along with, but now I'm workin on another shorty.