• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16" 6.5 Creedmoor Options: Criterion vs Rainier Arms Match

Best Route

• Criterion

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Rainier Arms Match

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to decide on a 16" 6.5 barrel for a AR10 build.

Any other options im missing?

Sounds like a fun project. What ranges do you expect to shoot and how are the ballistics on a 16" barrel?

why did you sell the criterion you had?
7F20398F-BFD4-497E-A4BF-76EC1572AEB4.jpeg

ETA: Fuck Ranier Arms

Those a good options, but consider X-Caliber as well. I'm extremely happy with the two that I have (6mm ARC and 308).

I vote Criterion, because forget about Rainier. Also, I’d avoid Faxon’s 16” 6.5 CM. It’s very light but I’ve seen rust issues with their barrels and also their 6.5 CM chambers can be difficult for brass to extract.

Wilson Combat has a 16” 6.5 CM that might be worth looking at. And it’s on sale apparently.

The Criterion Hybrid is chrome lined and will have a longer barrel life than steel barrels, but is still plenty precise. I run a 16” one with a JP full mass high pressure BCG and it has been flawless the past few hundred rounds, including PRS match time.
Sounds like a fun project. What ranges do you expect to shoot and how are the ballistics on a 16" barrel?
A 16” 6.5 CM generally beats or equals a 20” 308 for wind holds. It is a handy and extremely capable package. Very versatile.

That’s why USSOCOM is starting to run 14.5” 6.5 CMs for some of their CONOPS.

Last edited:
I have a 20" Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel on a AR .308. MOA shooter all day with match ammo.

I have a Rainier Arms Ultra Match 16" 308Win barrel. It shoots very well but it's from 2017 when they were still using Shilen blanks.

Reactions: PappyM3
Went with the criterion. Here it is installed on the "AR10"
as well as my 13.7 scar

Nice! I have an 18" 6.5 Grendel with a Criterion barrel. It shoots match ammo better than moa. Even shoots wolf steel case about 2 moa.

Bump, any other options on this market?

Looking at doing the same (16” “light” creedmoor)

Wilson combat makes a fluted 16" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

I only have experience with criterion out of your choices.
Don't let the chrome lining fool you into thinking there accuracy is degraded
The 3 barrels I have on builds from criterion
Shoot more accurately and consistently than any button rifled stainless barrels I have
On other builds
And at the point my stainless barrels become worn those will be replaced with criterion as well

Criterion barrels are duty built quality
With phenomenal performance and longevity

Reactions: PappyM3
From what I can find the only 16” criterion 6.5 creed barrels are nitride, they offer 308 in 16” but I don’t see creed

Reactions: msgriff
I only have experience with criterion out of your choices.
Don't let the chrome lining fool you into thinking there accuracy is degraded
The 3 barrels I have on builds from criterion
Shoot more accurately and consistently than any button rifled stainless barrels I have
On other builds
And at the point my stainless barrels become worn those will be replaced with criterion as well

Criterion barrels are duty built quality
With phenomenal performance and longevity
Do you have a link to any chrome lined Criterion 6.5 CM barrels?

From what I can find the only 16” criterion 6.5 creed barrels are nitride, they offer 308 in 16” but I don’t see creed
Do you have a link to any chrome lined Criterion 6.5 CM barrels?
I believe they changed their 16” 6.5 CM Hyrbid barrel to nitrided. I’m not sure when or why they did. The one I bought was chrome lined like all their 223 Wylde core/hybrid barrels. But I noticed the nitrided switch for 6.5 CM a couple months ago I think.

Reactions: msgriff
I believe they changed their 16” 6.5 CM Hyrbid barrel to nitrided. I’m not sure when or why they did. The one I bought was chrome lined like all their 223 Wylde core/hybrid barrels. But I noticed the nitrided switch for 6.5 CM a couple months ago I think.

I noticed this too. The original i had a while ago was chrome lined
For some reason they only offer nitride now based on their site specs. I ended up going with the criterion... shoots well

Reactions: Jsp556 and PappyM3