• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16" barrel on a .22 with a can?

DFARM

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2005
Western Washington
I am getting ready to have my M1969 Romanian trainer threaded for my supressor, and I was wondering what I'm going to lose performance wise if I were to have the barrel chopped to 16" from the original 22"?

The rifle is very accurate now, and I'm a little worried that it will somehow "lose it's magic" if I chop the barrel down. If I remember correctly, I read an article about barrel length in .22s and the best length for accuracy and velocity was around 12 or 13 inches, so I keep telling myself that I'm not going to lose anything but some length and weight.

This rifle is not just a range toy, and I'm hoping to be carrying it around while chasing bunnies and grouse around in the woods this fall.

Thanks for the info!

Re: 16" barrel on a .22 with a can?

You should have similar accuracy as long as your barrel is properly recrowned after chopping it to 16".

If you are shooting subsonic ammo from your rifle you will never miss the extra inches from your barrel. Even if you were shooting high velocity, I don't think you would be losing much in terms of velocity.

Had my ruger 77/22 barrel chopped to 16 and threaded a couple years back. Have an aac flash hider/mount on the barrel, run a very heavy old m42k on it. Accuracy is still amazing at 50yds with wolf match and it didn't seem to lose anything at 200yds either.

I cut 2 of mine to 16" and saw no problems. I prefer them that way since they are now as long with the can as they were before I cut them. Didn't change my accuracy at all.

Alright, the rifle goes to the Smith today, it's getting cut! I'll report back when I get it back and get it to the range.

If I recall an article where Al Paulson progressively chopped down a 22 barrel and crono'd velocity: max velocity was in the 11 to 12 inch range. Velocity actually start to decrease after that. Barrel friction exceeded powder pressure.

You should be fine with 16, unless you want to SBR it.

"If I'm not mistaken it only takes a 16" of barrel for a 22 to reach its velocity. Any longer than 16" just speeds it up a little more. You'll be fine."

What???

There is hardly any velocity loss between a 16" barrel and a 22" barrel in the .22 LR.

I finally got my barrels back over the weekend and got my rifles back together. The m'69 I had cut down just may be my new favorite. 22 for a while. I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet, but I did take it out in the woods and get the scope mostly dialed in and accuracy seems on par with how it was before. Having a bolt gun with a can on it is awesome!

similiar post on another site, but my input to the barrel shortening thing:

don't think of barrel length and powder burn when thinking performance or accuracy, think barrel twist. you at least want to spin the bullet 1 complete turn. for example a 1 in 16 means 1 complete rifling "spin" in a length of 16".

the rifling twist helps to spin the bullet, which centrifigul force helps to stabilize the bullet in flight once it leaves the muzzle, just like throwing a football.

if it is a 1 in 16 twist as most .22lr manufacters have, a 16" barrel + chamber length will give you that 1 full complete spin of the bullet.

just like a centerfire, a longer bullet heavier (such as the 60 gr aguila) will work better in a "faster" twist like a 1 in 9 compared to one with a shorter lighter bullet (40 to 29 grains) that a 1 in 16 twist.

a wiki explaination and equations for the best twist rate for any given projectile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling

http://www.travel-golf.org/rifling_twist_rates_and_bullet_accuracy.htm

if you want to think powder burn, it'll depend on the powder charge / FPS of the ammo used. again, most powder in high velocity will be burnt up in that 17 to 20 inch range, standard velocity / subsonic / match ammo will burn up in the 14" to 18" range.

i cut a 20" barrel sporter down to 16" and chronied both HV and match velocity ammo. at 19" there was a noticable drop in FPS, but after that the amount of FPS was barely measurable. i've further cut it down to 16", and same FPS range as the -1 and -2 inch readings.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2137639&#Post2137639

the groups are kind of sucky compared to a little more mork done to the simple F model, but it gives an idea of the difference on the chrony and on paper.

i should have, but didn't update with the 16" data.

so will you lose anything? probably not and if so not much. you'll probably be able to gain more, and possibly open the door to other ammo performing better at the 16" length than the original.

I would say you should gain accuracy shortening the barrel. Less whip. Not that that's a huge problem with the little .22lr, but technically it should be more accurate.

I went from a 20" barrel with no suppressor to a 16" with an AAC. With CCI subsonics it performs very well.

I would chop it. If it is recrowned right you wont lose any accuracy and might even gain some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dale5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would chop it.</div></div>

....he did.