• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16 inch .308 vs 18 inch .308

minsane

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
Hi guys:

After a wait of about one month I finally received by Krieger .308 barrel on a RRA LAR-8. The only problem is that they cut it too short. I requested an 18 inch and they sent back a 16 inch. The reason for the 18 was to have more reach. How much performance will I lose with a 16 inch. vs an 18 inch. Another problem is that they did not thread the barrel so blast will be extreme. Should I send the barrel back?

Thank you!

Re: 16 inch .308 vs 18 inch .308

id send it back out of principal, but i would for sure send it back fo the threading. thats BS. where is the gas port? carbine, mid or rifle? and as far as reach, i think from what other guys have said, you lose 50fps roughly for every inch you cut.

gather any documentation you have and tuesday morning call whoever you got it from and see what they say

Well I wanted the 18 inch naked. They made the mistake on length. They sent me a naked 16 inch. The flash I know is going to be bad on this one. The gas port is carbine. I'm sure they will make it right it just sucks to wait.

I think 14.5" to 16" with an AR10 type rifle is about perfect.

Go to the SH YouTube page, the POF used in all of the those videos is 16" and with the GDI video that is 16" too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think 14.5" to 16" with an AR10 type rifle is about perfect.

Go to the SH YouTube page, the POF used in all of the those videos is 16" and with the GDI video that is 16" too. </div></div>

What velocity are you getting with the 16 inch barrels with Fed 168 and 175 grain Match?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think 14.5" to 16" with an AR10 type rifle is about perfect.

Go to the SH YouTube page, the POF used in all of the those videos is 16" and with the GDI video that is 16" too. </div></div>

What velocity are you getting with the 16 inch barrels with Fed 168 and 175 grain Match? </div></div>

From POF's site:

http://www.pof-usa.com/pdf_files/P-308ballistictestresults.pdf

2nd page has muzzle velocities for a 16" with various different brands of ammunition. 2500fps with M118 type ammo, pretty good I thought.

2500fps is no problem with the 175gr, I don't shoot any 168gr bullets.

My 16" GAP is a little better and will reach 1000 yards with 39 MOA, although poorly. The same rifle is an honest 1MOA hitter at 800 yards.

There is no good reason to try and push these to 1000 yards, but they do perform well at 800, and especially below.

After owning several KAC that wore 24" and a GA that wore a 20"
I would concur with Lowlight, as I have a 14.5" & two 16" in my stable right now and would not own anything loner than a 16"> if I thought I need a longer barrel than a 16, I would pick up a bolt gun.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Well it does not look like I would be losing that much by sticking with a 16 inch. My rationale when I initially went with the naked 18 inch was that the overall length of the barrel was about the same as a 16 inch with a A2 type flash hider. As we all know a 16 can produce a huge fireball. My original thought was that the naked 18 inch would not produce much flash. Was this thinking correct?

In general does an 18 inch barrel without flash hider produce a huge fireball? Is there any flash?

Thanks again guys.

This is a 16" POF, yes it has a muzzle brake but I don't see any flash...
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25JggjRMkCo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25JggjRMkCo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I never notice a "huge' flash with any of them... must have to shoot em at 2AM in order to recreate the "huge" flash.

This is a 12.5" 308, captured in mid shot... minimal flash
POF_FLG-2581.jpg

Take some pictures/video at dusk or in the shadows.

Reactions: longknives

Why worry about the flash/muzzle blast? You won't be standing next to it while you're firing it, and the only way you're going to see it is at night for a zillionth of a second. Thread it, get a good brake, have fun.

I have a 10 in the blast from the muzzel sucks without my can on it.