• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 16" LMT MWS/NF 3.5-15x50/Mount

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
So I've had an LMT MWS for quite some time and was recently able to afford another Nightforce when EuroOptics had their sale on the 3.5-15x50's sale. I was originally going to get the NF Unimout, but Jason talked me into the Badger Unimount. I mounted it yesterday and realized that it doesn't have and MOA built into like the NF Unimount would have. Am I going to be able to make it to 1000 yards with it? I'm disappointed in myself for not noticing that before I mounted, but I guess now I'm stuck.

First, I would call Euro back to see if you're actually stuck since you were talked into the different optic mount by them without having all the facts. Second, you're really going to be pushing the limit anyhow with a 16" gas gun .308 at 1k. What is your MV and what projectiles are you running, and how hot and high are you typically shooting at? You will almost certainly be deeply transonic at that distance even with stout loads (well, gas gun "stout" loads anyhow), so I would concern myself with 800yds and in. A grand with a 24" .308 bolt gun is done out of arrogance, with a carbine gas gun it's usually just pissing away good ammunition.

A mount w/ built in MOA isn't required for a 16" .308 MWS to reach 1k.

edited: removed videos/info since op figured out what he needed to know. If I had the money to buy a MWS, and NF NXS 3.5...I'd definitely know the purpose, and reasoning for buying it before hand. It's not hard to find a great use for a quality .308 AR.

Last edited:
I'm with Redmanss, why on earth would you put a 3.5-15x scope on a 16" AR-15 and try to shoot to 1k yds? That rifle needs a dot or low power variable. Save up and get a bigger blaster for your new NF.

223's need 80gr pills going 2900+fps to have a reasonable chance of hitting anything consistently at a grand. Otherwise, it's a waste of ammo.

Last edited:
I'm with Redmanss, why on earth would you put a 3.5-15x scope on a 16" AR-15 and try to shoot to 1k yds? That rifle needs a dot or low power variable. Save up and get a bigger blaster for your new NF.

223's need 80gr pills going 2900+fps to have a reasonable chance of hitting anything consistently at a grand. Otherwise, it's a waste of ammo.

I kinda like the post and the videos of the guy who does exactly what the OP is talking about with the exact same gun he has, although he is doing it with a 2.5-10. Are there calibers and cartridges and platforms that will do the same job more efficiently? Of course, almost always. The MWS is a large frame AR by the way not a 223 like you're talking about, that would be the MRP. Trident definitely gives any of us who have semi autos something to shoot for, pun intended. Pushing a rifle and shooters limits is what a lot of us like to do. With some of us it's with 5.56 or 308 and others it's 6mm Creedmoor or all the way up to 338LM. Just about anyone can read what someone wants to do with their rifle and think there is almost always something "better suited for the job" but people choose to do it their way or try it just to push their own limits.

If it's not what you ordered or not what you wanted then I'd send it back. Otherwise just mount it up and use it, you should have more than enough adjustment for anything a 16" 308 will be asked to do.