• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

16" rifle length gas 308 reliability?

kb1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
I know KAC, and LMT have a 16" rifle length gas 308, but can anybody else that is running this set-up comment on reliability? I'm looking to build something similar, and have heard everything from "it should run great" to " it will run like crap when it's cold". There doesn't seem to be a real consensus on this set-up.
Thanks

I have a dpms that started as a 24" bull barrel. Cut it down to 16" and couldn't be happier. Functions flawlessly.

An adjustable gas block (over bored) may fix problems, if any are encountered.

I have a 16" dpms and have not had any problems. However, it's only been shot in warm weather.

One of my OBR Heavys is a 16-incher. Never had any problems whatsoever that weren't ammo related (Barnaul .308), in terms of reliability. As for cold weather, we don't have much of that in Hawai'i, so I can't comment on that. Good luck with your endeavors!

Actually, come to think of it, I don't think my 16" OBR utilizes a rifle length system. I know my 18" OBR does. But I think my ECC does, and still no failures, thus far....except when using crap ammo.

Last edited:
Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem with what I want to do. Thanks for the input.

KAC does not make an SR25 with a 16 inch barrel and rifle length gas system. They do however make one with an intermediate length gas system. I'd be willing to bet that LMT doesn't either.

Last edited:
You would be correct and I would be wrong.... "On the 16” SR25 EC and ECC models we utilize a rifle length gas system".

I have a few Armalite AR10A4B carbines and have ran them in 15°F to 105°F - I ran them thru their recommended break in and I have had 2 stuck casing issues on 1 carbine due to dirty casing issue - I clean them regularly and haven't had issue 1 since with any of them