• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

165 SGK Seating Depth

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
I am on my 3rd round of load dev for this bullet and am getting some good results. I think after my next trip to the range I will be ready to start varying the seating depth. I am currently seating at 2.760 COAL. To me this just seems short though. Has anyone else had good luck with a longer depth even up to and over 2.8? I know it varys per gun and this is a Rem 700 R5 if that helps. I used the search and found lots of people using this bullet but no mention of COAL.

Thanks

Re: 165 SGK Seating Depth

There are always loads of questions on seating depth. What is the correct seating depth for your rifle? How long is a piece of string? See there is no right or wrong answer.......ponder that one a while.

Now as to your question:

1) You have a Remington 700 5R. Which is/was made in the following calibers: .223 rem, 308 Win and 300 Win Mag. Which do you have?

2) So where do you start with load development if you don't know the correct COAL for your rifle?

Well, first since you have a repeater it would be nice if your rounds actually fit and feed from the magazine box. So the first thing you do is measure the inside of your mag box with a caliper. If it's a 308 in a Remington 700 it will measure something like 2.825" for example. You then subtract .010" and you max COAL therefore becomes 2.815", again for example. (assuming of course you using a long enough bullet to keep at least one caliber length in the neck, excluding the boattail)

This does two things, it ensure your loads will feed from the magazine, and bullets lengths tend to differ by + or - .005" and you will be allowing for that.

Once you have that max length, you cannot make your loads longer, unless you change your max box of course. Then work your loads up, try different powder et al, all with the same bullet length.

If you cannot get an acceptable load, then dink with your bullet length and go shorter, as you cannot go longer, without making magazine changes.

Bob

Thanks for the reply. This is a 308 sorry I left that out. I got the original COAL info from the Sierra manual it said 2.750, I have been loading at 2.760. My max mag length is 2.845 and I shoot a 178 AMAX at 2.838. I already know I need to be between 2.760 and 2.845 (-.005 or so for variance)

I was really wondering if anyone had used this bullet and seated it at or over 2.80?

Shoot to mag constraints if a repeater interests you. Load to the throat if max potential interests you.

No 700 308 will yield both in Factory form,due to their lawyer proof throating.