• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 165 sst or interbond

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Just acquired a 20" heavy barreled 308. It shoots the 168 bthp hornady's less than .5" with 44.5 grains of Varget. This will be my primary deer hunting rig, mostly being used for shots less than 200 yards in the woods. I can't decide if the interbonds are worth the extra price, but I don't want the bullets to blow up either. Muzzle velocity is 2560 which is slow and makes me think the sst's would work just fine. Anyone here have any experience with either?

Re: 165 sst or interbond

sst's are good to go. i use them myself and have yet to be dissapointed. ive also never had an exit wound with them. ive found traces of the bullets on the inside of the hide where it wouldve exited, but no actual exit holes. they seem to go in and fragment like a mother f###er. whatever organs it hits instantly shred apart. i highly suggest them for a deer round. also, i use the exact same rifle for hunting. almost an identical load too.

I shoot the 165gr SST's out of my 30-06 and they are fantastic on Deer

I shoot rabbits with a .308 and 165gr SSTs. Throws crap everywhere, its spectacular. You differently wouldn't have to worry about them expanding up on animals.

Kc

I use the 30-06 150gr GMX's on deer and they don't run after the shot.

With a 308 for deer any softpoint above 150gr will work plenty effectively. No need to drop money on the more expensive bullets for that application. If you are partial to Hornady, just get some of the interlocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a 308 for deer any softpoint above 150gr will work plenty effectively. No need to drop money on the more expensive bullets for that application. If you are partial to Hornady, just get some of the interlocks. </div></div>

I agree 100%

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a 308 for deer any softpoint above 150gr will work plenty effectively. No need to drop money on the more expensive bullets for that application. If you are partial to Hornady, just get some of the interlocks. </div></div>

Exactly right! Interlocks will punch a hole through both sides almost every time. May not kill them any more dead than the SST's, but there are 2 holes bleeding to track them by easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a 308 for deer any softpoint above 150gr will work plenty effectively. No need to drop money on the more expensive bullets for that application. If you are partial to Hornady, just get some of the interlocks. </div></div>

I agree 100% </div></div>
+1
Or just use what you already shoot, if your gun shoots them well, and your already used to them, why throw a monkey wrench into it and add in a bunch of variables?