• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

168 gr A-max

ryan85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
Oklahoma
What are your most accurate .308 loads using the 168gr a-max. Need help findng a starting point. Thanks

Re: 168 gr A-max

It's going to depend on barrel length and twist rate, but 44gr Varget works for most people.

whatever loads you get from here you really have to do testing on your own as your rifle will/may not like other loads that other’s rifles liked. Not to mention some rifles like to jump to the lands while others don't. That is the fun/frustration of reloading for rifles. But, keep this in mind, most people use Federal Gold Medal Match as their norm for accuracy. If you look at that cartridge it is below 2.8 COAL and will jump in most everyone's rifle but seems to always come out as very accurate. HMM!!!

42.5 grains of Varget was my most accurate load for 168 SMKs. I've also used it for AMAXs. Keep in mind that depending on conditions that bullet will start to go subsonic and tumble somewhere between 800 and 1000 yards.

For longer ranges (800+) the 175 SMK works great with 44.0 grains of Varget ... I've been able to push those reliably out to 1000 yds.

You should still use caution and build up to these loads based on pressure signs, etc.

Good luck w/your load development.

Bear