• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 168 gr AMAX twist

Dark Horse

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Albany, NY
What twist do you guys prefer for the 168 gr AMAX? I will be re-barreling an M14 with a heavy Krieger this winter and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Hornady recommends a 1-12 but that seems a little on the slow side.

I normally shoot 175 Sierra's and 168 AMAX's out of a 1-11, and have noticed the Sierra's a little tighter and more consistent during the warmer season. Now that I've been shooting in the cold, the Hornady's have become the better shooters.

I remember coming across an article about the M25 Whitefeather with heavy Krieger 1-10 that hated the 168 AMAX but shot the 155's well.

I would prefer going to a 1-10, but don't want to make the mistake if it won't shoot the 168's and would prefer something I can shoot consistently year round with both bullets.

Reloading isn't an option right now for me because I just don't have the time so I'm using FGMM and TAP.

Thanks for the help.

Re: 168 gr AMAX twist

Can't speak for the M14 but my Savage 10 twist shoots 168's and 155's well. I've always kinda considered the 10 twist to be pretty well perfect for me cause I can shoot everything from 155 Scenars all the way up to 208 AMAX and 210 SMK's well! Well at least I'm hoping it will shoot the 208's and 210's well, I'm getting ready to start trying them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't speak for the M14 but my Savage 10 twist shoots 168's and 155's well. I've always kinda considered the 10 twist to be pretty well perfect for me cause I can shoot everything from 155 Scenars all the way up to 208 AMAX and 210 SMK's well! Well at least I'm hoping it will shoot the 208's and 210's well, I'm getting ready to start trying them!</div></div>

I'm getting the same results here with my 10FP with a 1/10 twist.

I've used 155 Palma, 168 Amax and 175 SMK with good results.

168 AMAX shoot great out of my 10 twist barrel. Go 10 or 11 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 - 12" twists should work well.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 - 12" twists should work well.</div></div> that is why Lots of builders go with 1:11.25 as gives you the flexibility to utilize the wide range of 309 bullet selections- 155-178 grains

My 1-12 Krieger loves 155grn AMAX but I still can't seem to find a really good load with the 175 SMK yet. Not sure if it's my twist or what.