• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

168 grain tap vs. fgmm ?

Re: 168 grain tap vs. fgmm ?

I think we might have to add this one to that stupid Xtranormal video of questions on the hide.

To avoid 10 more threads by you with the same kind of question [is XXX like FGMM]... no.

None of these are EXACTLY like FGMM. There is a reason that Federal Gold Medal Match has the reputation that it does. Its been around a while. It consistently performs well. It is well manufactured.

If you hold up various cheap offerings against FGMM, odds are that before any of us ever even looks at it, no they will not easily compare, whether they use the word "match" in the marketing or not.

In this case you are asking whether a personal defense engineered round (of reasonably steep pricing, from a quality manufacturer) is similar-in-class for "accuracy" (did you really mean accuracy or are you looking for consistent precision, do you know the difference?) to a match "target" round (although as I have said myself in other threads, FGMM has been used to end a few lives of both 4 legged critters and the 2 legged variety).

My limited experience with the rifle offerings in the FPD TAP line (308 only) is that yes it is a very accurate offering. Its external ballistics profile is different than FGMM (unsurprising given bullet difference) so you will want to calculate new theoretical information and then put together "dope" based on real-world shooting specifically with this ammo.

Although I would ask... if you want FGMM why do you ask about all these other things? Just get FGMM...

If you are trying to find a "defense" round because this is advertised for defense, I would question your use. If you are using a 308 at close quarters for "self defense", what you really need is a shotgun. If you are at a distance where you need a 308 and it truly IS self defense.... well..... I guess we are all in trouble at that point
laugh.gif

In my rifles, Hornaday 168g A-Max, and 168g BTHP loads shoot as good as FGMM. The same goes for the Hornady 178g BTHP as compared to FGMM's 175g SMK.

I don't shoot the TAP version because I don't need the supposed fancy terminal characteristics of the FPD round, and the A-Max TAP round is essentially the same as the normal A-Max loading. When I called Hornady about the differences, they said the TAP has the nickel plated brass, and a low-flash powder. I don't see the need to pay more for these TAP options.

I'm buying the Hornady instead because it is cheaper than FGMM, and leaves me with better brass from which to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we might have to add this one to that stupid Xtranormal video of questions on the hide.

To avoid 10 more threads by you with the same kind of question [is XXX like FGMM]... no.

None of these are EXACTLY like FGMM. There is a reason that Federal Gold Medal Match has the reputation that it does. Its been around a while. It consistently performs well. It is well manufactured.

If you hold up various cheap offerings against FGMM, odds are that before any of us ever even looks at it, no they will not easily compare, whether they use the word "match" in the marketing or not.

In this case you are asking whether a personal defense engineered round (of reasonably steep pricing, from a quality manufacturer) is similar-in-class for "accuracy" (did you really mean accuracy or are you looking for consistent precision, do you know the difference?) to a match "target" round (although as I have said myself in other threads, FGMM has been used to end a few lives of both 4 legged critters and the 2 legged variety).

My limited experience with the rifle offerings in the FPD TAP line (308 only) is that yes it is a very accurate offering. Its external ballistics profile is different than FGMM (unsurprising given bullet difference) so you will want to calculate new theoretical information and then put together "dope" based on real-world shooting specifically with this ammo.

Although I would ask... if you want FGMM why do you ask about all these other things? Just get FGMM...

If you are trying to find a "defense" round because this is advertised for defense, I would question your use. If you are using a 308 at close quarters for "self defense", what you really need is a shotgun. If you are at a distance where you need a 308 and it truly IS self defense.... well..... I guess we are all in trouble at that point
laugh.gif
</div></div>

A bit quick on the trigger today, are we?
wink.gif

It's a valid enough question, and I can see plenty of reasons why someone would want to know if the Hornady loads compare favorably to FGMM. The 168gr SMK should be a last-resort choice for hunting/duty/self defence, which is plenty of reason by itself for wanting something more versatile.

In my experience, the 168gr TAP offerings (and the BTHP and AMAX loads are <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> the same) come close to, or equal, what I can get out of FGMM. Then again, as of late the price difference between the two has been fairly minimal - if anything, I'd say it's probably been cheaper to buy FGMM at times.

As always, everything is going to depend on the individual rifle(s) in question, and the only real way to get an answer is by trying a box of each and finding out what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elohim1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these two ammos neck to neck concerning accuracy? ? </div></div>

Although better answers have been posted. . . . . .

No two brands of ammo are exactly the same.

FGMM is good stuff.

For reasons that I cannot explain, Black Hills 175 grain match shoots best in my rifle. (3/8 MOA on a windless day).

I use Hornady 110 grain TAP during the day, as I have neighbors + livestock + Mountain Lions and coyotes.

I use an 870 at night.

BMT

Depends on the rifle. My AW shot FGMM better, where my TRG shot TAP better.

OH NO...not again!!

Most match ammo is judged against FGMM. Simply put, it has been an industry leader in terms of consistency and accuracy for a LONG time now for good reason. BUT...with all things ammo-related...your mileage may vary. Each rifle is different in terms of what ammo you can get the most out of. Some will run best on FGMM, while ohers may prefer Hornady (or brand x, y or z). The best way to determine what will work best for YOU AND YOUR RIFLE, is to buy some different brands (FGMM, BH, Corbon, Hornady TAP, SW Ammo, etc., etc., etc.) and see what YOUR results are in comparison. When you find one that works the best for you and will do what you need it to do, then buy in bulk and save yourself some money. Or even better, get started reloading and begin load development for your rifle because at the end of the day, the best ammo for your rifle will not be anything you buy commercially, but instead will be the ammo you load yourself.

I am finding there are some "snappy" ones on here.
Nevertheless, since i am responding from my cell phone, i will avoid the rebuttal. Finally, I do not recall asking for your opinion on other than what i initally posted. Are you the Forum police?

Thanks to all the others who contributed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we might have to add this one to that stupid Xtranormal video of questions on the hide.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

I have shot the FGMM 168 hpbt side by side with the Hornady 168 hpbt match load. This was from a stock Rem. LTR .308. They both shot about the same for me out to 500y. At the time FGMM was running $40 a box and the Hornady was $25 a box so I went with the Hornady. I think there brass is way better than Federal brass. Plus I reload so I shot the cheaper of the two until I had 1k pieces of brass. (had a local shop order me 1k and I bought them over the span of 6 months or so) Now I've been running a 200 round lot and have about 12 reloads on this brass and had my first head seperation this weekend. My load is not super hot, I'm loading a 44.5gr's of RL-15 over a br2 primer with a 178gr amax topping it off. I went with this loading so I can get out to 1k and have a good hunting round if needed.

I have shot both of these rounds. I like the GMM, but the TAP shoots well out of my rifle. It's more expensive, so I just stick w/ the GMM. Both Chrono at 2650 out of my VTR

laugh.gif
</div></div>

I think we may have a jerk of the week response. If you're so put out by the question, then why take the time to respond?

Oddball-DICK...I know it might be a stretch for you but please, refrain from being a complete douche bag when replying to someone's post. It is unneeded and inappropriate.

Elohim1, as others have already stated, it really depends on the rifle. For example, the Hornady TAP 168gr BTHP holds slightly better groups out of my POF than does the FGMM 175gr SMK at 100yds. You best option is to purchase a box of FGMM 175gr, Hornady TAP 168gr, and maybe a box of Black Hills 168gr for a comparison. By doing that, you will know what performs best in your rifle.