• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

168gr.A-Max friendly seating die

toolmaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2008
N.C.
I have been using an RCBS Comp. seating die and have been getting between .005 and .008 runout. i tried the standard RCBS seater and still have runout issues. After taking apart both dies and inspecting the seating stems it looks like they were not designed to fit the A-Max bullet profile. The brass is neck sized using a Lee collet die and has zero runout after sizing so i am pretty confident it is not a brass issue. So my question is which brand of seating die would be best for this bullet profile and give me better concentricity?

Re: 168gr.A-Max friendly seating die

I use a normal Lee 308 Seating in my Rock Chucker IV, works perfectly for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using an RCBS Comp. seating die and have been getting between .005 and .008 runout. i tried the standard RCBS seater and still have runout issues. After taking apart both dies and inspecting the seating stems it looks like they were not designed to fit the A-Max bullet profile. The brass is neck sized using a Lee collet die and has zero runout after sizing so i am pretty confident it is not a brass issue. So my question is which brand of seating die would be best for this bullet profile and give me better concentricity? </div></div>

I've been using a Redding Competition seater with 168gr and 178gr A-MAX bullets for a few years with excellent results. No problem seen and no marks on bullet tips but Redding will send you a different seater plug if you call and talk to them about it. The Redding seater cannot be used for compressed loads they will eventually crack from the pressure of compressing the powder.

For some reason the Lee Seater die seems to do the job great. Low runout too. Looks like a cheap piece but it gets the job done.

Hornady sells an Amax seating stem for their seating dies.

Thanks for all the feedback, i just ordered a die from Hornady with the seating stem that is made for the A-Max. I'll report back when i get the die and load some ammo.

I have a Forster Bullet Seating die and use the 155 A-Max. I usually get less than .001 runout.

Give a try with Redding Competition Seating Die. There are available 2 type of seating stem for exchange.

Normal Seating Stem : For normal bullet desing like BTHP , FMJ
VLD Seating Stem : which special design for long tip bullet like Berger VLD or Hybrid.