• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.17 HMR or .22 Magnum and which rifle?

Re: .17 HMR or .22 Magnum and which rifle?

I'll bring up something that nobody else has.....cleaning. I had a 17 Savage for a short when they first came out. I'm one of those guys that likes to do a barrel break in with every new rifle and I was so frustrated by the time I finished the break in procedure on the 17 that I sold it. The cleanig rod broke almost immediately and I had to rig up a pull through using heavy monofiliment and 22 patches cut into 1/4's. It was really a royal PITA! I know they have bore snakes available now, but they aren't the same as running a brush and patches through a bore. I bought a Ruger 77/22mag the day I sold the 17 and was glad that I did for that reason alone. One of my buddies bought a CZ 22mag a week later, and while the wood isn't as pretty as my Ruger, it will easily outshoot the Ruger. Both shoot impresive groups.
I personally don't think much of the idea of using any rimfire on live animals past 100yds. even though many folks do shoot them much further. If I know I'm going to be shooting longer ranges or possibly larger varmints, I'm going with a center fire.
When you're finished with your shooting sesion with your buddies, ask to scrub both barrels and see what YOU think....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fellas,

I will be getting a rimfire rifle in the next month and wanted opinions as whether to get .17HMR or .22 Mag?

Next question is what rifle to get in the above calibers?

Thanks, </div></div>

I've owned both. I like the extra thwack of the 22mag although the 17hmr was fun too.

I shot a crow at 150Y with the 17 and it flew off,LOL. I watched him fly into the distance as he lost altitude and recovered a few times.

Altogether hundreds of PD's,crows,Jacks,cottons and tweeties expired at the impact of my 22mag.

OP, I advise you find a old 70's era Savage/Anschutz 141M. I paid $425 for my 141 a few years ago.

A few facts, (and I own a shoot both, they each have their place)

With most bullets the 17 bucks wind much better than the 22 mag does at longer
ranges and as well at shorter ranges. Just google it and look at the charts.

A 17hmr has the same energy as a 22 long rifle at 200 yards. So it is marginal at
best for killing at that range even though still fairly accurate.

For closer than 100 yard shots a 22 mag with the 50 grain federals is a work horse.

I have seen and shot 17's that will consistently break eggs at 200, Never have
seen a 22 mag pull it off round after round.

Get a CZ bolt action 22 mag. You wont regret it. Ive had ALOT of Rimfires... maybe 30-40... something like that. Out of all of them, the CZ's were most impressive for cost vs quality.

And the 22mag just always worked better for me than the 17.

Off the subject a little but I thought it was worth mentioning.

One of the funnest cartridges I've owed was a 17K Hornet. It would launch the Berger 15 grainers at 4227fps! Same recoil as 22 mag and very destructive. I actually liked it better than my 17 Remington and my 17hmr.

I say 22 winmag!

Now an even better question why don't they make 60 grain 22mag bullets?
They make em for 22lr....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say 22 winmag!

Now an even better question why don't they make 60 grain 22mag bullets?
They make em for 22lr.... </div></div>

Because its easy to do it with a 22lr, they just use a 22 short case and put a long bullet on it. A 22mag 60 grain would require a specially made case. Im sure an ammo manufacturer could do it, its just not as easy as the 22lr.

it would be pretty sweet though.

Another vote along the line of what S123 said, I just finished bedding the action and sanding the barrel channel on a a Savage Anschutz 164m that I bought back in 1970. I would be well pleased if all my rifles would shoot as well. I would have to take the fifth ammendment on what that 22mag has harvested