• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 hmr suggestions

Skippy15

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2022
Texas
Looking at getting a 17hmr. Going to run a dead air mask on it so preferably a short rifle with good accuracy. Not competition use just ranch use for varmints as a truck gun and some hunting. I currently have a Kidd 22lr I built so looking to get a 17hmr that is similar but not breaking the bank (vudoo)

Currently looking at the Bergera bmr and the Christensen ranger. I like the length and weight of those. The Christensen would be the top of my budget (I already have a scope)

Any suggestions?

Reactions: crackerbrown
Not on the same caliber as those rifles, but, for your intended use it’s threaded, short and accurate with CCI A17 ammo matched to this specific rifle.
Savage 93R17 FVXP
Only a 3 shot group at 150 but pretty good.
F46B2026-1C2F-49B1-A961-65AD9C6BBA4E.jpeg

Looking at getting a 17hmr. Going to run a dead air mask on it so preferably a short rifle with good accuracy. Not competition use just ranch use for varmints as a truck gun and some hunting. I currently have a Kidd 22lr I built so looking to get a 17hmr that is similar but not breaking the bank (vudoo)

Currently looking at the Bergera bmr and the Christensen ranger. I like the length and weight of those. The Christensen would be the top of my budget (I already have a scope)

Any suggestions?
Christensen Arms Ranger .17 HMR.

I've got an older CZ 452 and I love it. With the choices that you mentioned above, I'd go with the Bergara.

My Tikka T1x in 17 HMR has been a wonderful rimfire rifle. Mine is a 20” barrel and I run a Rugged Oculus. I believe it’s available with a 16” barrel as well.

I'd get a savage for a truck gun, mine that I've had for years easily shoots 1 inch groups at 100. I used to take it to the range to shoot when I wanted to let a barrel cool during load workups.

Reactions: db2000
I'd get a savage for a truck gun, mine that I've had for years easily shoots 1 inch groups at 100. I used to take it to the range to shoot when I wanted to let a barrel cool during load workups.
That’s exactly what I do with mine 🤣
Hard to beat for $220 I paid for it on sale. Even came with a low end scope.

Any suggestions?
I would go with Bergara BMR Steel. If you want a light weight gun go with the Christensen. The Bergara is just a fiber tube over a thin barrel. the Christensen is a tensioned fiber barrel.