• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.17 HMR

Ed Kurzawa

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Shelby Twp, Mi
With spring around the corner, i am looking for a new rifle to replace my .308 ill be parting with. Does the HMR live up to the hype? I cant find good info anywhere because its hard to find anyone who shoots more than 100 yards. How bad does the wind blow it around? I have been shooting my 10/22 at longer distances for a while now and it has gotten boring. I want a heavy barreled bolt action rimfire that i can shoot a ways AND kill small varmints. So its either HMR, or another 22. Whats experience have you guys had with the little .17?

Re: .17 HMR

you came to the right place to find out about shooting rimfires 100 +, 200+, and beyond.

i personally can't give a firsthand on the .17 as my experience with it is limited. but with that limited experience i know that it is flat shooting and quite devastating on critters.

the wind will blow that little pill around well, but nothing that can't be compensated for with good dope.

depending on the amount of shooting you are going to do, it can get a little expensive in ammo costs, but limited paper shooting and varmint use is right up the ally of the .17. if the cost of ammo isn't an issue, the .17 is a handy round to have.

i'd also consider the .22 mag as another option with less wind drift than the .17, and heavier bullets available for better knietic energy on game. it' just not as flat as the .17, and ammo is comparable in price.

i'm sure the "teeners" will be along soon and can give more insight, but i thought i'd throw in 2 cents.

Thanks for the insight. I have a .17HM2 but its useless passed 120-130 yards. Wont kill much and isnt very stable even in the slightest wind. The .22LR is better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a .17hmr thinking that it would out perform my old .22 bolt action. Definately not the case. I took it out on two seperate occasons and only came home with disappointment. If anyone so much as sneezes near you while you engage whatever it is your shooting at, no joy. The .17 might move faster, but it sucks in the slightest bit of cross wind. I sold it 2 weeks after purchasing it. Now I use my old .22 and have no problems. I recently bought a .22mag and love it. More power and speed. And more loads to choose from. </div></div>

That is interesting because that is not my experience at all. I have incredible 17's and 22's. At 50 yards, the 22 wins hands down. At 100 yards, it is a draw. In heavy winds, the 17 outperforms. In light winds, the 22 outperforms. At 200 yards, there is no comparison, the 17 wins by at least 20%.

And this is comparing Eley Match 22LR ammo with off-the-shelf 17HMR ammo. BTW... all 17HMR ammo is made by CCI, but not all lots shoot the same. I bought 3 cases of stuff that will not shoot in my gun. I bought some different stuff off the shelf at Wal Mart and I was back in business. Find a lot # that shoots in your gun and buy a lot of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a .17hmr thinking that it would out perform my old .22 bolt action. Definately not the case. I took it out on two seperate occasons and only came home with disappointment. If anyone so much as sneezes near you while you engage whatever it is your shooting at, no joy. The .17 might move faster, but it sucks in the slightest bit of cross wind. I sold it 2 weeks after purchasing it. Now I use my old .22 and have no problems. I recently bought a .22mag and love it. More power and speed. And more loads to choose from. </div></div>

That is interesting because that is not my experience at all. I have incredible 17's and 22's. At 50 yards, the 22 wins hands down. At 100 yards, it is a draw. In heavy winds, the 17 outperforms. In light winds, the 22 outperforms. At 200 yards, there is no comparison, the 17 wins by at least 20%.

And this is comparing Eley Match 22LR ammo with off-the-shelf 17HMR ammo. BTW... all 17HMR ammo is made by CCI, but not all lots shoot the same. I bought 3 cases of stuff that will not shoot in my gun. I bought some different stuff off the shelf at Wal Mart and I was back in business. Find a lot # that shoots in your gun and buy a lot of it. </div></div>

Have you found point of impact to be erratic at all? I have read elsewhere that the little .17 bullet and the high speed make it very deflective to wind columns. I believe the analogy was "The light small diameter bullet flies like a flying flat table" meaning the wind will actually deflect it toward the ground or carry it.

My Savage 93r17 FVSS heavy barrel is +.25 @50y, dead on at 100y and -4" at 200 yards using Hornady red tip 17gr. YMMV.

I used to use a 22mag for small game but it was just too devastating and wasn't near as flat-shooting as a 17HMR.

I've recently switched to 20gr FMJ rounds and I've noticed an improvement in slight to moderate winds, and the FMJ isn't nearly as devastating on squirrels as the red tips are. The 17gr in wind really isn't that bad when you're in the woods hunting.

I love my 17HMR, so much so I have two of them.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just get the basic black heavy barreled Savage. The Accu-trigger aint all that bad to be honest, however I did replace it with a SAV-RAT.

I like shooting glass beer bottles filled with water with the polymer tip 17gr rounds. They basically explode.
laugh.gif

My Savages out of the box were, I would estimate, .5moa to .6moa depending on the lot of ammo.

Also, don't clean the shit out of them, they like their barrels to be dirty. I keep about 30 rounds fired when taking it hunting and only clean when my groupings open back up.

Thanks. It seems most are happy with the HMR. And those who dont like it so much hate it. Ill have some time to decide whether i want a HMR or another 22. I gotta sell the .308 first. Keep the opinions coming fellas. Much appreciated.

If you're looking for affordable distance, the HMR is for you. I have personally hit X marks plenty of times with my own at 300 yards. If there was an in between for rimfire and centerfire to get the best of both worlds, the .17 HMR would be it in my opinion. Yes, the ammmo is much cheaper for a .22LR obviously, but the .17 HMR is one fun and addicting round. Be ready to not want to put it down.

I have a heavy spiral fluted barreled Savage in 17HMR and is a blast to shoot. It's a laser to 200 yards and devastating on anything under 20-25 pounds. Instant kill without repainting the field with varmint innards.

If the winds are up switch from the 17gr to 20gr to help and wait for wind lulls. 10-12 bucks for 50 rounds isn't bad for the performance. I've found Winchester to be most accurate from my 17.

The Savages in 17HMR can be had from 240-400 brand new.

My Savage.
l_5edb75c4d6f6414a9da9e5e999caee95.jpg

As stated, the wind will play hell with them, but, I've taken my .17 HMR out to the Dakotas several times, and it will tip over prairie dogs at 200 yards, whereas the .22 long rifle is pretty much limited to 50 yards.

I've just got a Ruger, bolt gun that is stock, with the exception of a Volquartsen trigger, and on calm days, it has shot a lot of 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I can't say I've ever shot a 1/2" group at 100 yards with a .22 long rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed Kurzawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you found point of impact to be erratic at all? I have read elsewhere that the little .17 bullet and the high speed make it very deflective to wind columns. I believe the analogy was "The light small diameter bullet flies like a flying flat table" meaning the wind will actually deflect it toward the ground or carry it. </div></div>

I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing it to 22LR, I believe it is less inherently accurate, yet ballistically superior, so I see less erratic behavior. Especially at longer range.

The frustrating thing about 22 is that a headwind will significantly affect your POI at 100 and a tailwind tends to spread my groups out. My theory is that with the 22LR travelling at about 1000 fps and the 17 travelling at 2600 fps, the additional fps added or subtracted by the wind for the 22 is going to have a larger impact than with the 17. That time of flight just kills you.

I love shooting both the 17 and 22, but each has its place. Now one argument is that you can get a 223 and reload it for as cheap as 17 ammo is... and you get better ballistics with the 223. That is true. BUT you also have to reload. That burns a lot of time. Easier to just buy a box of ammo.

Compared to the 308, your 17 will be cheap to feed. Compared to 22, it can be expensive, depending on the grade of ammo you shoot. I think that covers most of the pros and cons.

I have a 93r17 FVSS with a vortex crossfire 6-24x50mm and it is a killer, seldom a miss and plinking is fun and one can never get to much trigger play. It is bout 25 cents a round and great to go back and forth from a larger caliber to the .17 to help reduce the chance flinching. I have owned a bolt and 10/22 in .22 cal. and think this .17 is a better round, dont miss my .22's a bit. anyone who gives the savage .17 a try loves it.

The Savage 93 is great. I have the Marlin 917. To me they both tie for the best for the $$$. Can't really go wrong with either one. They both have a bunch of aftermarket goodies too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whereas the .22 long rifle is pretty much limited to 50 yards.
</div></div>

Maybe for someone who can't shoot. I have taken prarie dogs at 150yds with my .22lr and it's knocked em down deader than shit. </div></div>

Yup. Anyone who is wondering about the capabilities of a .22LR beyond 50 yards should take a little look in the comps section. Beyond 100 yards, the .17 is superior in my opinion. But the .22 will still sure as hell get the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whereas the .22 long rifle is pretty much limited to 50 yards.
</div></div>

Maybe for someone who can't shoot. I have taken prarie dogs at 150yds with my .22lr and it's knocked em down deader than shit. </div></div>

Only if you have time to calculate range, and holdover, or, change the settings on the scope. After about 75 yards, with a .22 long rifle, if your range estimate is off by 25 yards, it's a miss.

With the .17, just put the crosshairs on, all the way to 200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Only if you have time to calculate range, and holdover, or, change the settings on the scope. After about 75 yards, with a .22 long rifle, if your range estimate is off by 25 yards, it's a miss.

With the .17, just put the crosshairs on, all the way to 200.</div></div>

If you know a field pretty well, quick ranging isn't that tough based on landmarks. In a new field, yes, fast, accurate tanging is tough.

My drops for 200 yards are 7.5 mils from 50 yards. That is a lot of drop.

For what it's worth I recently bought an H&R single shot in 17 for PA ground hogs (and shits and giggles). I'm having a blast with it. I put a Sweet 17 scope on it and so far it's been spot on. I zeroed it for 50yds but can simply dial it to 200yds and get minute of groundhog. I've only had it at the range three times so far but neither day was dead calm.

Thanks to SBS, I bought a .17 HMR. I opted for the Savage TR. Due to the weather & work I don't have a lot of time with it yet, but that will change soon. It shoots flat to 150 yds, & I'm waiting to take it out further when I get the chance. My personal range goes to 485 yds. That should be long enough for finding the limits of this .17.

If the .22LR is the .308win in the rimfire world, then the .22mag is the .300win mag, the 17hm2 is the 7mm-08, and the 17hmr is the 7mm WSM!

Nice little round imo, and i have seen ammo prices drop lately which is really good news.

I have a Marlin 917v HMR an love it, I placed the 10/22 in my daughters hands. I have no problem with distance, yes it can be pushed around a little but In my opinion its not as much as the 22Lr. You will need to determine which ammo works best for your rifle, I have found that Hornady & CCI are the best for me with a small edge to CCI. Also shop around you can buy 17gr Hornady for around $9.25 to 9.50 for 50 rounds on line, CCI is about $1.00 more per 50 rounds. Much more than 22LR but not much more than 22 mag.