• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 hornet Scope

Jake2000_04

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2023
Northern California
Hi Fellas,

Purchased a Savage varmiter in 17 hornet. I plan on shooting mostly ground squirrels and similar sized things mostly at 100-150 yards, with some stretching out 200-300 yards.

Is there a scope that jumps out to you with a budget of $600? I’d prefer to be in the $300-400 range, but can make 600 work.

Been looking at SFP scopes: 6-18x40 VX freedom, Mark 3 6-18x50, some vortex vipers and Burris’s.

Do you think 6 power is too high for minimal magnification? I like the higher mag because squirrels are so small, but don’t want to chase that and sacrifice quality.

Any suggestions would be great, I really appreciate it.

Jake

No joke probably my favorite caliber of every rifle I own! Mines the cz 527 and it’s just devastating on game, they just fall over dead every time. Even big game like bobcats and coyotes and then you get up to them and it looks like they died of natural causes. Your going to love it. I have a 3x9 trijicon accupoint on mine for now. I think the 6 as a base power may work out ok. The mark3 could be a sweet scope for that rifle.

You guys think 6x is too high for my lowest magnification? All my friends say 4-12 should be plenty and better for low end. I’m kinda leaning 6-18 but worried about 6

Last edited:
I bet my ass off, that all your friends shoot with 10-12 magnification, if they have max 12 scopes.
You wont be disappointed, if you pick the scope that has 18 on top, or even more.
You get even more sharper shots, and if you are blinking, the more power you have the better the groups are.

I bet my ass off, that all your friends shoot with 10-12 magnification, if they have max 12 scopes.
You wont be disappointed, if you pick the scope that has 18 on top, or even more.
You get even more sharper shots, and if you are blinking, the more power you have the better the groups are.
You’re right! Haha. Do you think 6 is too high of magnification for the lowest setting?

You’re right! Haha. Do you think 6 is too high of magnification for the lowest setting?
Since no one is answering your question, if the object is hunting, 6x MAY be too high. It depends on where you are hunting, the distances involved etc...
A 3-15 or 3-18 is more than enough top end, the scope that I linked has surprisingly good glass.
You'll need the lower end for for field of vlew, 6x is going to be cramped.

I effing love the 17 Hornet 🐝 ! Have the same rifle as @Simonsza1 the CZ 527.

For ground squirrels, screw the low mag. I never use it for shooting, and even 8x would be fine for scanning, really. I’m always at 18-25x.

I have used the Vortex 5-25 PST II to great effect…love the hard to find EBR-2d reticle, but the 2c is nice and open as well. Better to see those little buggers.

The newer 7c reticle has too much garbage hanging down from the horizontal stadia, methinks.

I might later switch to the Razor 4.5-22 for its lightness and lockable turrets or to a Nightforce NX8 4-32 for its increased mag range, capped windage, and (probably) more toughness. But those options are a lot more expensive.

Found a 2d for you for $660

Last edited:
Hi Fellas,

Purchased a Savage varmiter in 17 hornet. I plan on shooting mostly ground squirrels and similar sized things mostly at 100-150 yards, with some stretching out 200-300 yards.

Is there a scope that jumps out to you with a budget of $600? I’d prefer to be in the $300-400 range, but can make 600 work.

Been looking at SFP scopes: 6-18x40 VX freedom, Mark 3 6-18x50, some vortex vipers and Burris’s.

Do you think 6 power is too high for minimal magnification? I like the higher mag because squirrels are so small, but don’t want to chase that and sacrifice quality.

Jake

If you want to spring for better glass, and don't care about illumination, and can afford to spend a little bit extra for a higher quality scope, this is a smoking deal going on right now! I recommend the same rings as above.

And really, FFP really helps with holdovers and wind holds. You need The Quickness to nail those shifty little bastards.

Reactions: FuhQ
Thanks guys! I’m use to second plane and the FFP plane looks weird/uncomfortable to me.

Maybe I need to change my mind, but I like having the reticle stay the same. But I’ve never shot super long distances precisely. I’m a redneck!

I’m leaning towards this

And was thinking about just putting a CDS dial on it for the hornet. I’ve never been a turret guy, been more of a zero at a hundred and figure out my bullet drop points. CDS dial is pretty much running turrets though, just easier. Tough decisions!!

Thanks guys! I’m use to second plane and the FFP plane looks weird/uncomfortable to me.

Maybe I need to change my mind, but I like having the reticle stay the same. But I’ve never shot super long distances precisely. I’m a redneck!

I’m leaning towards this

And was thinking about just putting a CDS dial on it for the hornet. I’ve never been a turret guy, been more of a zero at a hundred and figure out my bullet drop points. CDS dial is pretty much running turrets though, just easier. Tough decisions!!
I'd recommend not getting a Leupold, but that's just me. I sent tons of them back when I worked at the gun store. That was a long time ago, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth about them. I even watched a couple of the tubes crush with less than 18 in-lbs. or torque...Which is not a whole lot. They're very fragile scopes. You don't have to buy what I recommended, but I'd recommend NOT buying a Leupold.

I’m leaning towards this

I get it. FFP isn’t great at the wide end of the mag range, even if you have an illuminated reticle.

But as a prairie dog and Richardson ground squirrel (aka incorrectly as the “gopher” in the Midwest) shooter, believe me at 10x and above you will love FFP.

Short reason: your drop and wind holds stay constant regardless of the magnification. Unlike SFP, which is calibrated only for one mag range.

Scenario: at 200 yds, say your wind hold is 0.8mils. So with FFP, the wind hold is 0.8mils at every magnification! Easy!

With a Leupold 4-24x52 VX-6hd containing a varmint hunter’s reticle, that wind hold would only be valid at 18x, which is what that scope is calibrated at (with that reticle, at least).

Reactions: FuhQ
I'd recommend not getting a Leupold, but that's just me. I sent tons of them back when I worked at the gun store. That was a long time ago, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth about them. I even watched a couple of the tubes crush with less than 18 in-lbs. or torque...Which is not a whole lot. They're very fragile scopes. You don't have to buy what I recommended, but I'd recommend NOT buying a Leupold.
Thanks a ton! That’s what I’ll be torquing it down to. Do you have a certain scope suggestion?

I get it. FFP isn’t great at the wide end of the mag range, even if you have an illuminated reticle.

But as a prairie dog and Richardson ground squirrel (aka incorrectly as the “gopher” in the Midwest) shooter, believe me at 10x and above you will love FFP.

Short reason: your drop and wind holds stay constant regardless of the magnification. Unlike SFP, which is calibrated only for one mag range.

Scenario: at 200 yds, say your wind hold is 0.8mils. So with FFP, the wind hold is 0.8mils at every magnification! Easy!

With a Leupold 4-24x52 VX-6hd containing a varmint hunter’s reticle, that wind hold would only be valid at 18x, which is what that scope is calibrated at (with that reticle, at least).
That is all great info! Thank you

Reactions: carbonbased
I have Nikons, Athlon, and a Vortex. However i just got a Ruger 8334 HB .22lr. I installed a Burris 4.5x14AO. AT 50 yards I am blowing out the 10 ring. I wish it was squirrel season.

I have a 6-24×50 on a 17hmr, if you are trying to scan quickly the high base can make it a bit fiddly, being able to wind up if shooting from a bag is good. 4-20 is probably perfect.

I’m leaning towards this

Leupold 6-18’s are my favorite for varmint rifles.

Hi Fellas,

Jake
So what did you wind up with on that 17 Hornet?