• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.17 or .22 for long range training

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
Been looking at a cheap(er) way to extend range, but was wondering which caliber would be better for reaching out. It seems the 17s will have more speed, but the .22 weight will maybe keep it going. Anyone have any thoughts.

Re: .17 or .22 for long range training

If you are looking to use as a trainer for long range, the 22LR will be better in that it cannot go as far. At 200 yards, you are close to max range, which is what most rifle ranges go to.

If you actually need to get out to the distance effectively, then the 17 HMR will get you to 100+ yards better than 22LR will.

It seems like you are trying to simulate long range on a rimfire, so a 22LR is probably your best bet... mainly because it <span style="font-weight: bold">doesn't </span> have a lot of range on it. It will be highly wind affected. If you are trying to learn to dope wind, the disadvantages of the caliber turn into advantages.

If you wanted to shoot small game or needed accuracy at 75 - 200 yards, the 17HMR is a better option. It will group better at that range.

I had both for a while. I really liked the 17 because of it's accuracy at the extended ranges, however when I shoot a 'trainer', I like to go through a lot of ammo, and $15/box for 17hmr is quite a bit more than the $7 for match grade .22lr. I have since sold the 17hmr as I only shot my .22lr after I bought it. The .22 tested my skills of reading wind, and mirage more than the 17hmr did. Plus the greater weight of the bullet made the hits on my steel target much more solid at longer ranges allowing me to see and hear my hits more effectively. Since the 17hmr is fairly loud, I had to wear earplugs, and hearing a 200m hit on steel with that tiny pill is tough, a .22lr is quiet, and no earplugs are required for the most part.

I would stick with a .22, however, if disposable income is plentiful, get both.

Branden

Those little .17 17 grain bullets get pushed around by the wind pretty bad at < 100 at 100+ they get pretty squirelly. anybody using the .22 mag.

I will be shooting a Savage in 308 or 06, so the savage with accutrigger will be the gun, but I don't know if I wanna go 22LR or 17HM2.

problem is that for a trainer the 17 hmr or 22 mag are too expensive....you'd almost be better with a centerfire except for range.Go with a 22lr and also have the option of using it for squirrels or to introduce son/daughter to shooting.

HM2 ain't that cheap. Nobody's making guns for it anymore. Expect it to be harder to find in the future. It's a great round, but speed sells and there's apparently not room for 2 .17s in the market.

i actually use a 22 winmag bwana. i love it, its a rem 597 mag bull barrell. i just ordered a Volquartsen barrel and new hammer for it yesterday. should be a nice tack driver.

HM2 is cheaper than match 22LR.

brknshk, how much is the VQ barrel? Found a hmr 597 close, bt want to go WMR.

they range from 215 up to 309.00, the one i bought was like 238.00 s.s. match barrel with compensator. there easy to work on also. ive done all my own work on it, and have had it broke down all the way, barrel off, action completely apart. i actually had mine on here for sale for awhile lol. there a good little rifle, deffinetely want to get the target hammer though as the trigger feels like about a 9lb pull
smile.gif

They seem to be about $115 from Remington, may just go that way. Still don't know what I need the gun for. Maybe I can trade something else for it.

hi the HM2 is an awsome round but as others have stated i think that i might nat make the test of time like the 5mm Rem rimfire magnum the 22lr is the best to stick with if you use any target 22lr it is usualy sub sonic and in a long barrel fairly quiet aswell as being cheep to shoot. if you are using it for training the 22lr ammo has lots of variations everywhere and is the best option. I love the HM2 it is the best rimfire i believe besides use supressed where a fast twist and 60gr sss ammo is the best but not available here unfortunatley. But if you have some coin spare and find a batch of HM2 you could stock up with 20 thousand or so rounds and have a few years of shooting but the end result might be that you have to rebarrel the rifle to 22 if the cartrige is not manufactured any more so look at a rifle with interchangable barrels like a 10-22 if you go with the 17 so an aftermarket barrel is an option if ammo dries up.

I have a 10/22 in hm2, and would honestly like to have a suppressed 22. BUt others thins will have to come first, like the 30 cal, and he 22 trainer, then the can(s) will come.

.22LR.

I think the fact that it is affected by the wind at the shorter distances than the .17's is the first point. I think that throwing jacketed bullet technology into the pot just adds another unneeded complication (and expense).

Like (I guess) a lot of people, I found the idea of the HM2 intriguing. I logged it as one of those ideas that's 'interesting, when I get around to it', and like the rest of those people, I never got around to it because there was no compelling need for me to do so. It got away from me. Probably the best thing that could have happened, given more thought.

The only ammo I maintain any significant stock of is .22LR. I make all my other ammo, and never maintain any more stock of completed ammo than I can already and definitely anticipate using in the next two weeks or month, at most. Just doesn't make any sense for me to start stockpiling another chambering when all my real training needs are already met by the .22LR. It would be a luxury, and my budget allows no such luxuries.

Greg

I own both and I have been thinking of selling my 17hmr. I bought a savage 93r17BTVS in March and now wish I would have bought a Mark II instead. Like you, I wanted bolt action rimfire trainer but ammo is just too expensive compared to 22lr. Its hot round but for training its not worth the extra dough. Don't make the same mistake I did.