• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 WSM anybody tried it?

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    It's been out for a little while now, has anybody messed with one? I've been curious about it despite ammo costing more than 17HMR. If it catches on I'd think ammo costs would come down.

If you have one please comment, thanks.

I have not had the opportunity to shoot one yet, but many LGS got one in last week. I got the chance to fondle it in the shop for a bit.
    First impression it felt cheap, barrel is thin not a bull like most HMR's, & the action didn't feel as smooth as most Savages. I wasn't impressed neither was the shop owner.
    Might form a different opinion after or when I get the chance to acutely shoot one.

Only 17 wsm available is the Savage B-mag.
    Pencil barrel in a tupperware stock, not conducive to producing accuracy.
    When one is available in a bull barrel and heavy laminate stock with a bedding block
    already installed at the factory, I might think about buying one. As it is, my
    .223 bull barreled Varmint is the better choice.

I just pulled the trigger on one. Got lucky and paid retail for ammo, not the double people are charging. I should have it setup next week. I shot it at SHOT show last year and it was a fun little guy. under $350 invested in everything minus scope and rings, which i have a few around to try out with it. It'll be a fun experiment.

Trevor B.

i gotta agree just handling one is like handling the new rem 783, doesn't really have the "gotta have one" in feel or looks...but if it shoots well, that's another story.

trevor, lots of folks waiting on that range report, thanks in advance.

Just from fondling my friends I'd say that B Mag definitely has a cow barrel.
    Case looks like all business but the rifle is Mickey Mouse.

C'mon D...cow barrel is obviously not a bull barrel....cheez louise...gotta keep up...eh?
    spank2.gif

As to fondling friends, s'okay by me as long as they're of the feminine persuasion. (are we havin' fun yet?)

I bit the bullet and bought one at retail. Got about 200 through it and did a solid break in with Sweets for the first couple of dozen. Put a Bushnell Tac Elite 6-24x50 ET6245FG on it with Mark 4 High rings. Torqued scope and rings to manfg settings. Zeroed at 150. Tried shooting groups and letting cool between 4 round groups. 100yds im getting about 1.25" or more. Had Harris Bipods on the front swivel and suspected the stock was making contact while loading up. Removed stock and shaved down barrel recess. The stock is so damn flimsy that i would almost have to remove the forend just so it wont touch. Stock is extremely cheap! I also kept closing the bolt before it was all the way forward and left marks on the plastic stock with the bolt. Bolt is rough and is definately not a surgeon action. Rotary mag is a PITA to lock into bottom plate, had it pop off twice when i first started. Feeds pretty good though. I could send the 25gr rounds out to 500 on a 18" gong and hit, but the 20s wouldn't make it accurately.
    All i can say is that my savage TR can group better than this. Pencil Bbl... maybe, Stock... sux! COME ON SAVAGE!!! WTF WHERE YOU THINKING!!! The first gun out for this round should have been at least 5 times better than this, even at that price it should at least equal MarkII TR (not the best, but mine shoots awesome) If i could do it again, i would wait till another heavy barrel comes out or at least a different stock. Round works great on rabbits, but beyond 250 you're just getting lucky, Squirrels... no luck at 300, Round is definately capable, but rifle+stock combo is a NOGO.

If someone wants to make me a stock for this I'll pay 300-350 for a laminent or even wood with a comb would be nice.

Aren't there places where some game can only be hunted with rimfire? West Virginia used to be rimfire only for night hunting coyote. For people in this situation the round could be a big step forward, it's a shame there isn't a more capable rifle chambered for it.

Round looks very good but I cant bring myself to buy it with a pencil barrel. They could have at least accustocked it and bull barrelled it.

it looks like a hellava cartridge for sure... but then again, it is indeed stepping into .223 territory.

No lie...rather have the 223, my CZ 527 set trigger Varmint is ideal for vermin control out to 200 yards.
    Better ballistics with the 223, more variety of bullet weights, can be reloaded to custom fit your needs.
    And with market prices dropping, the 17 wsm round now costs about the same as factory load 223.

Find .223 Rem / 5.56 NATO Ammo in stock | WikiArms - Best Price on AR15 Ammo

Buddy just bought a place in the Michigan, in the UP. Night predator hunting is restricted to Rimfire there as well. This is be a nice one to throw a NV adapter on the bell and head out at night.

Trevor B.

I would definitely like to hear one.
    In my neck of the woods (gun unfriendly Canada) I shoot the .22WMR mainly because it packs a not bad punch but is quieter than a .223, which is a legitimate concern in many areas.
    If the new .17 is nearly as loud as a .223 I don't see the point given there is no cost benefit.
    I have a feeling the WSM is going to end up on the list of failed cartridges.

When I shot them this past SHOT show I thought it was very noticebly quieter than a 223, even wearing electronic muffs. I should be picking up the rifle today or tomorrow from my FFL. Hopefully will get to a range by the weekend.

Trevor B.

Last edited:
    I was talking to my buddy that works at my local gander mountian and he said that on average every 5 sold, he hears about problems with 3 of them, didn't specify on the problems, but He was pretty quick to steer me away. But I like the idea and would be interested in the future.

"Never buy the A-model of anything."

Even many Savage 'fanboiis' think the B-Mag is a steaming pile.

Pencil barrel in a tupperware stock, not conducive to producing accuracy.

Even many Savage 'fanboiis' think the B-Mag is a steaming pile.

Somehow, BoilerUp, I think your turn of phrase gets the point across much better than my earlier remark.
    turd.gif

When Winchester makes a new round and doesn't make a rifle for it....that should tell you something.

Two different companies...have been for decades. FN/Browning licenses the Winchester marque from Olin and they don't seem too terribly interested in the brand other than contracting for firearms production offshore. They ran a regular production of Model 70's in Columbia, SC at the FN plant for several years, but that has faded away as SCAR and handgun production has grown.

Profession opinion, the 17WSM round isn't going to survive in the market. Stock up on the ammo if you can find it....5mm Rem RF Magnum is real cartridge collectors item now.

Two different companies...have been for decades. FN/Browning licenses the Winchester marque from Olin and they don't seem too terribly interested in the brand other than contracting for firearms production offshore. They ran a regular production of Model 70's in Columbia, SC at the FN plant for several years, but that has faded away as SCAR and handgun production has grown.

Profession opinion, the 17WSM round isn't going to survive in the market. Stock up on the ammo if you can find it....5mm Rem RF Magnum is real cartridge collectors item now.

I gotta agree with BERTMAN77MK2. If you like shooting .17 then do it with something you can reload. As noted the 5mm Rem RF is not in production anymore. Neither will the new .17 WSM be in a short time.

For whatever reason the firearms world seems to push where 1% of the shooting public would like to see change and never push where 49% of the shooting public would like to see change.

I've never understood the point of this cartridge...

Its a lot more effective on coyotes and fox than the hmr and can be had in a rifle that is very light and fairly cheap. Some urban areas are rimfire only so using a 17 fireball or similar cf rifle are out.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I would be willing to shell out some monies to put a heavy barrel and a manners stock on my Bmag. It'll turn it into a 2k rifle after that, but i love the round... just not the rifle.

Anyone cutting barrels or stocks?

I just got one and I have to say for the money I think it was a good buy. I shot a ground Squirrel at 300 yards with it and I think I could take it further. The first 3 shot group was about 1/2'' at 100 yards. Im looking forward to taking it out again you can definitely tell this thing hits a lot harder then the 17hmr. I just got 3 boxes of the 25g ammo to try, I was shooting the 20g stuff. But for 350 OTD I am really happy. I hope Savage come out with a nice heavy barrel version and I will pick that one up also.

As much as I'd like to try out this cartridge I just can't get past the butt ugly Savage rifle. If CZ or someone would build an attractive rifle in 17 WSM I'd buy it.

I had really looked forward to trying this cartridge however when Adam and I were able to buy rifles and ammo it was disappointing . We were coming back from Sniper Craft in Ca. And were able to buy rifles and ammo at Scheels and Cabelas .
    The results were not good. Two of the rifles wouldn't extract 3 out 5 times. It's not much of a rifle it closes pretty hard.
    The accuracy was bad you could put 2-3 shots fairly close together then get a couple of fliers. The groups were 3-5 inches we tried four rifles and three different scopes and not one was very good. We saw some issues with the ammo seemed like it was inconsistent . Their were several ruptured case heads and split cases. We didn't chrono it but by the sound there was a lot of variance in the ammo. I am going to try again when better rifles are on the market. I think Winchester will improve the consistency
    of the load as time goes on. Sorry to say it turned out this way we really wanted this ammo to work out.
    Thanks

Would it be possible to get a Lilja or other custom 17WSM barrel for a CZ455 or Quad? That might be an option to test the round in a much more proven setup. ...or is there something about the 17WSM round that precludes it from feeding or being used from these rifles?

Would it be possible to get a Lilja or other custom 17WSM barrel for a CZ455 or Quad? That might be an option to test the round in a much more proven setup. ...or is there something about the 17WSM round that precludes it from feeding or being used from these rifles?

The diameter of the 17 wsm is larger so it won't work.

This would be the perfect round for yotes here in CT. We are limited to 22lr and 17 rimfire on state land. Something I've always wanted to try. Hopefully someone comes out with a better rifle than the BMAG soon!

Volquartsen rolled out a few different autoloaders in the 17 WSM. They 'claim' 3/8'' accuracy. Just saw them at SHOT. Looking better for the cartridge, but not so much for the BMAG.

Trevor B.

Boyds I believe is making stocks already for the B Mag. The factory stock and barrel does nothing for me! Does the barrel on the b mag use the savage jam nut or? If it does it maybe an easy one to rebarrel!

Speaking as someone in the business of selling guns, I can say that Savage should have NEVER put out the BMag. It should have instead have been a version of their 93. I don't know what they were thinking, honestly. They know how to put out a quality rimfire rifle but did the opposite of almost everything they do well.

17 WSM anybody tried it?

I finally got around to throwing a scope on my B-mag and getting it sighted in. The rifle is complete shit. It really needs to be built on the 93 action or something similar. I've only put one box of rounds through it. If the rifle doesn't fall apart (which wouldn't surprise me) then I can't say I regret buying it. It groups 1" at 100 and I think with a little work I can tighten it up to 3/4". In the one box of Winchester ammo that I've shot, there were several split cases. I don't know who is to blame for that. The rifle is extremely light which I really like for a rifle that I toss around in the tractor (95% of my intended use). Of course, the reason it is so light is because it is built like a McDonald's toy. I was feeling pretty mediocre about the rifle until today when I popped a coyote at 280 yards. I still think the rifle is shit, but the fact that it is 17wsm makes it a lot more attractive now that I realize what the round is capable of! With about 2 mils of holdover, I sent a round completely through the coyote. She didn't make it more than 20 yards before she was deceased and that 20 yards was traversed by flopping and rolling. She didn't do any running. Quite an impressive round! My HMR would have taken almost 5 mils. I know for a fact that it wouldn't have passed all the way through (it doesn't at 50) and I really doubt it would have killed her. Definitely would not have dropped her on the spot. I like the WSM and highly recommend giving it a try! Pass on the B-Mag.

Exit wound (I'm not believing this shit!)

B2391CA2-AF53-4E27-AE8A-1215D179B5AE_zps67qdk9mg.jpg

1B4A420C-4B50-4997-A6C3-0E317A89F9C8_zpsdli8o2jf.jpg

AD9DC275-66EB-405D-A25C-44AF4DF95F69_zpsm7tl59rb.jpg

Last edited: