• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 WSM vs 17 Hornet

nick338

Commander- of what I have no idea
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Yes I know the Hornet is a centerfire but I'm hoping the rimfire guys can answer this. Which of these rifle/ammo combinations is generally more accurate with an off the shelf gun and factory ammo? I know the HMR is hard to beat but I'm looking for something with a little more speed and distance for shooting paper and steel.

I would say the 17 Hornet. You can hand load and tune the load to the gun. 17 WSM you are limited factory ammo.
Mark

Reactions: shoot4fun
There are no guarantees of accuracy with the 17wsm.
All the cartridges are produced by Winchester...all of them.
It's rimfire being made at the Winchester factory,
no matter who's name is on the box.
As an inexpensive varminting round, it's easy on the wallet.
It'll never be a cartridge for precision paper punching,
but for turning critters into meat spray, it does the job.
If you enjoy reloading, go with the centerfire.
If you just want to grab a box of ammo and head out, get the 17wsm.

There are no guarantees of accuracy with the 17wsm.
All the cartridges are produced by Winchester...all of them.
It's rimfire being made at the Winchester factory,
no matter who's name is on the box.
As an inexpensive varminting round, it's easy on the wallet.
It'll never be a cartridge for precision paper punching,
but for turning critters into meat spray, it does the job.
If you enjoy reloading, go with the centerfire.
If you just want to grab a box of ammo and head out, get the 17wsm.

This. It really does just come down to rim vs center. You want a rimfire? Wsm is king of the hill. You want a centerfire? Hornet is my pick (though Fireball makes a good case for itself).

I’d let the rim/center decision do the picking for me between these two.

Btw if you’re just shooting targets inside ~200yds just go HMR and call it a day. I love my CZ455 in HMR.

This would be a VERY easy decision, I'd get a CZ 527 Varmint model in 17 Hornet and never look back.

It's certainly not because I don't like the other two but with the 17 Hornet, even though the initial cost of the gun will be a couple hundred dollars more, you will be getting a MUCH higher quality rifle and without a doubt, the 17 Hornet in a CZ 527 Varmint model will be, consistently, far more accurate than the rimfire cartridges. Even when using factory ammo in the 17 Hornet, it is far more accurate on a consistent basis than the rimfire 17's.

My second choice would be one of the Savage Bmag SS HB models that comes with a laminated wood stock, not any of them that come with the plastic POS stock.

Reactions: shoot4fun
This would be a VERY easy decision, I'd get a CZ 527 Varmint model in 17 Hornet and never look back.

It's certainly not because I don't like the other two but with the 17 Hornet, even though the initial cost of the gun will be a couple hundred dollars more, you will be getting a MUCH higher quality rifle and without a doubt, the 17 Hornet in a CZ 527 Varmint model will be, consistently, far more accurate than the rimfire cartridges. Even when using factory ammo in the 17 Hornet, it is far more accurate on a consistent basis than the rimfire 17's.

My second choice would be one of the Savage Bmag SS HB models that comes with a laminated wood stock, not any of them that come with the plastic POS stock.

Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for.

Reactions: Wading
Handloading powder down to the kernel after working up a solid load will destroy 17wsm. The low ES will show it's prowess the farther the bullet gets from the barrel.

My answer is a 20-221FB AI. Man that thing is awesome! 32's at 3750 fps out of a 21" barrel. Groups .4" at 100Y and SD is 8fps. 1.4 mil drop at 420Y. I like not having the Hornet rimmed case.

20's compared to 17's, for 20's with similar powder capacity to a 17 - longer barrel life, barrel doesn't heat up as fast, intervals between cleanings is shorter, more thwack, easier to hold bullets when seating them, powder flows into case easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wlfdg and drcarr1
^^^^^
What he said is true, but I'll leave this pic of my CZ 527, 17 Hornet.

20200806_175554.jpg

I have one that will become a 20 VarTarg (20-221 Fireball) one of these days.

Reactions: stilesg57
About two years prior to the birth of the 17 Hornet I had a custom 17 Ackley Hornet built on a CZ527. Had I had any idea the 17 Hornet was coming (even if the 17AH is 200 FPS faster) I would have done the 17 Hornet instead.
The 17WSM I have seen work over prairie dogs was impressive but the 17HMR is a much better choice for a rimfire rifle.
17 Hornet tops them all.

19 calhoon.

If you're not into weird stuff .221 fireball or 20 practical.

That is one I've always wanted! I like that guy a lot, he's fun to talk to, and very knowledgeable.

He's a damn good guy. I need to buy a bunch more bullets before the supply is interrupted. I hope he has a deal with Sierra to sell them if he quits.

Reactions: steve123