• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 175 gr .308 Lapua Scenar-L

AZ, unfortunately, no. I did use them in the match I was in about two weeks ago, but this match only required my shots to be as accurate as "minute of steel". I will say this I honestly wouldn't trust the posted MV that Lapua posted (at least in regards to it's loaded ammo). I used those numbers just to get balk park dope via JBM's and Lapuas own ballistic App. My first string of fire were five targets 900 to 1100 yards. All misses.
After trouble shooting in between stages I used a generic MV of 2650fps ( the same as 175 SMK's), and reworked my dope. I was able to hit steel out to 900 using that dope but I think the 2650 was a bit generous as my shots were still lower than center mass hits (6 inch steel targets). Windage was not a problem though.

My problem is until I am able to get a chrono I don't know the true velocity of the round which for now I can only determine is between 2602 and 2650fps. Maybe more in the 2625-2650 fps range. I want to also find out what powder Lapua is using in its loaded ammunition, from there Ill try to see what charge they are using and i'll also take other measurements such as the OAL, seating depth and so on.

Ill try to take care of that in the upcoming week, Ill also try to be as detailed as you guys are in my findings.

Bryant sorry to hear that. Not sure this will help, but something that has worked for me is taking the distance to the target, as exact as possible, knowing what your scope setting was moa or mils when you did get on target, along with all the other parameters being the same when you did the hit, then enter 10fps intervals on the speed, 2600, 2610, 2620 etc., doing a recalculate each time on your program after entering each speed and watch what the moa or mil is at the known distance. This should give you a pretty close realistic speed of what your bullet is doing when it leaves the muzzle, without having to run a chrony on it. Basically what you are doing is using distance and the moa or mils to reverse calculate your speed. Hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, let me know your dope and I will run it through my program and see if I can come up with an answer for you.

Realistically hitting a 6" target @ 900 yds to me, is pretty damn good.

I wish you luck on the powder type, not to be negative but some of the bullet manufacturers consider their load formula proprietary and may not release it?

AZ

Thank you. Your statement actually supported something I had been pondering since I first started shooting the loaded 175 Lapuas and noticed thier posted MV seemed especially slow compared to what I had been used to shooting with FGMM (SMK). I was under the impression fast bullet = better, Now I am learning not always the case.

Bryant,..Yes and no. We are using Scenar;s here not SMK. That said speed is never a factor in itself in regard to accuracy. The balance of components against the actual barrel and bore harmonics will see nodes at high and low speeds that show the accuracy potential of the combination.

For AZ thats proven slower than for my stick. Out of my colleagues who shoot the same bullets and powder it varies from 43gr to me at 43.5gr. In my early pressure and ladder tests, I saw that if I stepped up to 43.8grs of the same EL130 powder again I hit an accuracy node. Super fast but a max load for sure.

AZ has done an excellent job in keeping this thread interesting. Weather here has closed in and three solid days of rain and yet more forecast mean zero chance at longer distances here for a while.

1200yards is the next objective and hopefully that will happen as soon as range space and weather match.

I hope a few more pick up on the Scenar L potential and lets see who can gt then out to a mile with accuracy first??

Hmmm,...maybe I really do need to build that .300 WSM afterall LOL

Not sure if this will come up because I believe it is in the archives but will try. This is the final results of my testing and load development for the Lapua 175 Scenar L. 1000 yds, 4 shot group approximately 2 7/8" group. 6 fired total, two to get on target and 4 for effect. 10" target.

AZ2000

Attachments

• photo49143.jpg
    photo49143.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 28
  • photo63366.jpg
    photo63366.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 33
You probably may notice the posting is by MJM1 Not AZ2000. A few years ago if you were on the board, the Hide was sold and many of us were not able to log back on and had to re-register, at that time I simply changed it to AZ2001 which some how disappeared. So in order to post my final results I had to re-register again. The gun went through some modifications as I moved forward to get my accuracy, adding a 24" Shilen Heavy barrel, stainless with a 1-10 twist and a Sharp Shooters Supply laminated wood stock. These were shot off of a portable bench with a Harris bipod and a leather stock support bag. Final load was with 42 grains of Varget using Nosler brass and Wolf primers, coming out at 2640 fps and of course the Lapua 175 scenar L.

AZ2000

Last edited:
Reactions: Jinta