• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

175 MK OAL for 700p

Okurok

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Delta Colorado
I just bought a Hornady LNL OAL gauge and tried it out. I'm not sure if I'm getting correct readings. When I tap the bullet in the first place I feel a little resistance is 2.705 oal. With a slight more pressure, it runs out to 2.950. At that point it is lightly stuck in the rifling and a small tap will dislodge it. Does 2.950 seem too much for the 700P or would that be a normal range for this rifle?

Re: 175 MK OAL for 700p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.950 is about typical for a factory remmy. Mine is 2.963.</div></div> wow, the factory Remmie's are that far out. What bullet were you trying? My GAP M40A3 with a 168 AMAX is 2.870 to the lands and I load to 2.850. I am not saying your numbers are wrong I am just thinking out loud as how do you load to the lands when it is so far out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.950 is about typical for a factory remmy. Mine is 2.963.</div></div> wow, the factory Remmie's are that far out. What bullet were you trying? My GAP M40A3 with a 168 AMAX is 2.870 to the lands and I load to 2.850. I am not saying your numbers are wrong I am just thinking out loud as how do you load to the lands when it is so far out? </div></div>

I'm using 175 Matchking Sierras. I'm going to see how much the magwell will allow. I doubt it will be the -.020 to -.040 that the instructions recommend.

Yes, Remington chambers are long. mine is .147 over the standard 2.80 COL on the factory .308 ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okurok</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.950 is about typical for a factory remmy. Mine is 2.963.</div></div> wow, the factory Remmie's are that far out. What bullet were you trying? My GAP M40A3 with a 168 AMAX is 2.870 to the lands and I load to 2.850. I am not saying your numbers are wrong I am just thinking out loud as how do you load to the lands when it is so far out? </div></div>

I'm using 175 Matchking Sierras. I'm going to see how much the magwell will allow. I doubt it will be the -.020 to -.040 that the instructions recommend.</div></div>

I have to relook this but I think my AICS Mag takes up to around 2.9 COAL may be a little longer but I will check and see.

My dilemma at the moment is my bolt gun loves 2.850 or longer but my 308 semis have to have less than 2.810 to fit into the magazine. I tried 2.810 in my M40A3 and it didn't like it. I hate having to load two different lengths. Ok, that is my problem but just venting.

Unless your AI mag is modified it'll won't allow that type of seating with the spacer in front.

my Rem. LTR is 2.932 with any of the three, 168 amax, 168 smk, or 175 smk. I modified my magazine to except oal to 2.950. But after realizing you really can't seat bullet out that far because there isn't much bullet left in the case neck to get consistent pressures, if anybody has a diff. theory please chime in. Sierra told me .250 of bearing surface should be the minimum in caseneck. But, who know what the right answer is. Going out to 2.925 leaves less than .100 in case neck I think, thats not much.

Yep that sounds normal - I ran 2.866 at approximately 15 to 20 thousands off the lands.

You won't mag feed worth a crap though
wink.gif

Just make em 2.810 and you won't have any problem.

When I was running my Rem700p the throat was about as long as yours - 2.96?.

I ran a BO M5 DBM and seated the 175's to 2.850, and it fed reliably through AI mags.

The 175's are forgiving and very tolerant of jump. I originally started at 2.820 and worked it up to 2.850, and still fed reliably and i could tell no appreciable diff in accuracy.

YMMV