• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 175 mk velocity

erdmann

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Midland,texas
ok i need some help my load is 42.8 varget 175 mk, 210m primers, oal to the lands ,309" at 100 yards, Tac-30 26" barrel velocity unknown, My ? is i am trying to go on my loads, 44 gr to date, but i can not find the accuracy node.I shoot f class with good results but others tell me i need to go up on velocity is this correct? This load at 600 Yards if i read the wind is very good thanks in advance

Re: 175 mk velocity

You can got to JBM ballistics, put in the 175SMK(Litz) and the rest of your environmental data and adjust the MV until the output elevation matches your known dope at 600-that will give you a ballpark of your velocity now.

You are at a lower accuracy node for sure, and will probably find the next around 44.3-44.5
These charges get around 2700 in my 26" Rock.

45.2 an BR-2's do well in my 22" Pac-Nor, 33.5 moa to 1K.
Load for your stick,...books are great staring places, but their not the final word.

i dont use vargay but accuracy sweetspots for me are 2600 and 2715 with probably an unknown somewhere near 2650ish. this from 26".

175SMK, 44.7 Varget, 21" Factory Rem 5R barrel = 2660fps.

I would definitely say your on the lower end from a velocity standpoint.

If you are getting the accuracy you want, there is no reason to chase the velocity gremlin.

This load at 600 Yards if i read the wind is very good

My 2 cents is that you've already answered your question. The last statement says it all..... If it is indeed "very good" then problem solved. I too have to remind myself all the time that it's acuracy and not velocity

I have a rather hot "match" load, but I got 6 loadings on last year's batch of brass and they are still good to go.
175gr SMK
Laupa brass
BR2
Varget @ 44.9 gr
2805 fps
29" Bartlien on my GAP built F-t/r rifle

I have found 44.6 gr. of varget to shoot very well in several rifles with 175 smk's all had 24 or 26" barrels. A couple of 24 and 20" barrels shot better with 44.8 gr.

44.6, 44.8 and 45.0 all shoot in my 24" AI with very good results.

JH

I might add that these were all with winchester cases, fed 210, 2.22 to the ogive, approximately 2.802 oal

If you look at JBM you'll see that you need to get to about 2650 to reliably stay super sonic to 1000 yds. The minimum is somewhat less but when you combine atmospherics and some variation in MVs you'll probably need to be in that range.

I'm working up that same load right now. I think I can get to where I want to be info wise with one more day at the range, but it looks like I'll end up at about 44.7 with a 24" barrel.

Oh and if I were guessing at 42.8 you're probably at around 2500 ± 25 fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erdmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5 shot average 42.8 shot temp 48* over crony 8' from bench was 2680 </div></div>

Sheesh, that must be due to the extra 2 inches on the barrel.

My pet load.
I run 44.8 grs Varget
175 SMK
Lapua Brass
210m primers
.010 off lands loaded at 2.28 to the ogive.

Gun is a 20" SPS. Velocity with that load is 2620 @ DA of 1300 ft. 70 degrees.

Note: This a max load for this gun. Very slight ejector marks on the brass. Load is very accurate, low SD and ES. Shoots well out to 900 which is the max limit on my shooting range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erdmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5 shot average 42.8 shot temp 48* over crony 8' from bench was 2680 </div></div>

Sheesh, that must be due to the extra 2 inches on the barrel. </div></div> barrel. i guess, i tried it again and got the same

Your brand of brass will make a big difference.

Winchester will have more capacity than Lapua and will need a higher charge to achieve the same velocity as Lapua.

I'm running 43gr of varget with a 185 berger in a 26" krieger loaded 2.90 with wolf lr primers and could go slightly higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erdmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: erdmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5 shot average 42.8 shot temp 48* over crony 8' from bench was 2680 </div></div>

Sheesh, that must be due to the extra 2 inches on the barrel. </div></div> barrel. i guess, i tried it again and got the same </div></div>

I've been loading in BH brass. My rifle is a built by Chris @ Long Shot with a 24" Rock barrel and a Badger brake for a 26 over all. @44.2gr Varget I was getting an Av of 2637. My Es was 29 and my Sd was 14.7.

If your getting 2680 you've got plenty of velocity to get to 1000 and stay super sonic.