• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 175 smk vs 178 amax in 16" Rifle?

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
I checked my loads today and got pleasing results in my lmt mws. However, I am not sure which load to go with. I am shooting a match in a couple weekends with shots out to 800yds or so, and I am leaning amax due to lower cost and I have heard the bullet behaves well when velocity drops off.

Is there any reason not to choose the 178 amax?

Velocities from 16" barrel:
175smk: 2500fps
178 amax: 2475fps

Groups:

175smk:
100yd175smk.jpg

178 amax, I know this group isn't as good but I wasn't shooting my best today. I have done as well with the amax as the smk posted above.
178amax100yd10rd.jpg

Re: 175 smk vs 178 amax in 16" Rifle?

I prefer the 175smk, because that is what I'm familr with. Stick with what you'll familiar with. If the 178amax shoot well for you and you know your DOPE, go with that.

There is something to be said about a company that makes only bullets. Don't know what kind of match you are shooting but at roughly 800 yards you're talking about a difference of 1.2". Could possibly be the difference between first and second. Sierra all the way...

Shoot the bullet that YOUR rifle likes best. It doesn't matter what another person's rifle does. Nor does it matter what the company makes. Hornady makes great bullets and my rifle liked the A-Max better. Then again, my rifle liked the 155 Scenars even more.

Use the one that your rifle shoots best and the one that you'll have the most confidence in. Load up a shit ton of them and be done with it.

i have shot the amx and mk bullets out to 500 and the groups between the two could be laid one over the other and you could not tell the diff, the only reason i like amax bullets more is i have also been using this more and more as a hunting bullet also, i like having a bullet that works for 2 jobs