• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1760 with a 300wsm

outlaw81

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2011
SE OK
Hey y'all. I'm lookin for anyone that has or has tried goin for the mile with a 300wsm. I've shot out to 1100 with bout .5 moa out of my stock savage 12 26" 300wsm. Been shooting 190smk's with 63gr h4350 bout 2980fps. Any load advice? Bullet choice? Got pics of target at that distance? What kind of groups? I've also been toying with the notion of long-throating my barrel for 220smks so I can get about 64 grains of H4350. I understand the thoughts about case capacity, but by my calculations I should be able to get a compressed load with the 220. The 240 is out of the question without goin over pressure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: 1760 with a 300wsm

Not yet. The next three bullets I was gonna try are the smk 200, the accubond 200, and the amax 208. The 190 has a BC of. 533. The three I listed are all closer to. 6. Know of anyone who's actually hit a mile with a 300 wsm?

Plano 300 WinMag with 225 Hornadeee BTHP pushed out by 73grns of Retumbo flys no problem to 1 mile.

You're going to need as much BC as possible for a WSM. Like stated, Hornady's 225 BTHP would be good, and Berger's new 230 grain would be good. The Berger has more BC, so I'd look that route. You will have to load it long and onto the lands, so you will have to single feed it. It will be too long to mag feed.
I'm pushing a 225 BTHP at 2704 fps, and it took me 76 MOA to get to 1780 yards.

I haven't shot my .300 WSM to a mile, but I've been considering it and will get around to it eventually. I'm with some of the others in that I wouldn't really bother with the 220 SMK, or even the 200 grain accubonds. You might give some of the hornady bullets a try 208 amax and the new 225. Personally, I'm gonna go with Berger bullets, which have always been good to me. The 210 VLD has a slightly better G1 BC (.631) than the 220 SMK, and you might be able to push it faster than those 220's. I evaluated some of the new Berger 200 grain Hybrids, and their G1 BC is listed as .624. That's only .005 less than Sierra claims for the 220 SMK@ 2,100 fps and above. So it's pretty close in terms of BC, and you could definitely push them faster than you could the 220's. It might make for some interested calculations. I haven't ran some numbers and looked at all these, but I'd definitely consider them. You may be able to make up the difference in slightly lower BC's with that bit of extra velocity you might can get from your .300 WSM.

How drastically would this change with a 208gr HDY? Sorry, no hijack intended.

208 Amax, 225 Hornady, 210 Berger LRBT, 230 Berger would be the bullets to look at IMO.

The 208 Amax being the first. I've made hits in excess of 1700 with a 30-06 throwing them 2700fps. They transition reliably and shoot very well.

You might try H4831sc with that bullet weight, you'll gain a little speed over the H4350 and it is an excellent powder as well.

It looks like 208 amax is the best route. I checked it out with others that have my gun and they're getting almost 2900 in some cases.

Rodent has hit a one foot square steel plate at one mile at Thunder valley several times with a 300 WSM and 208 AMax's.

We've been plugging the 12"x12" steel plate at a mile for some time now with .300 WSM's.
One shooter uses Beger 185's and they work great. Most others are using 208 Amax's. They will do a mile with no problem.
Good luck!

Those 185's - 210's work great with h4350. I'd bet that's what your using just for the powders consistency with this cartridge.

Outlaw81, i shoot the same rifle as you i beleive. A savage 12 LRP 300wsm, i have a Mcree stock on it. I have shoot at the mile target, which is a 12"x12" plate, at Thunder Valley many times just messing around. I shoot the 208 Amax with 62.0gr H4350, COAL 2.960, 2865fps. I have came within inches of the target many times, multiple times in a row. The only reason i havent hit it yet is due to my inexperience with calling wind changes, but my hits are within 17" circle consistantly. It can be done with your rifle. I have also tried out the berger 210 and they seem to hold a more consistant group at those ranges. The only reason i dont shoot them all the time is the price difference between the two. Hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sbfcolin2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outlaw81, i shoot the same rifle as you i beleive. A savage 12 LRP 300wsm, i have a Mcree stock on it. I have shoot at the mile target, which is a 12"x12" plate, at Thunder Valley many times just messing around. I shoot the 208 Amax with 62.0gr H4350, COAL 2.960, 2865fps. I have came within inches of the target many times, multiple times in a row. The only reason i havent hit it yet is due to my inexperience with calling wind changes, but my hits are within 17" circle consistantly. It can be done with your rifle. I have also tried out the berger 210 and they seem to hold a more consistant group at those ranges. The only reason i dont shoot them all the time is the price difference between the two. Hope this helps </div></div>

Are u having to jam it in there? I was considering long throating mine for more case capacity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've been plugging the 12"x12" steel plate at a mile for some time now with .300 WSM's.
One shooter uses Beger 185's and they work great. Most others are using 208 Amax's. They will do a mile with no problem.
Good luck! </div></div>

As Tom says here, I have done it several times as well as many other shooters. I'm actually selling the single shot I used to do so. The 208 AMax is a fine bullet with H4350.

no i dont have to jam it in. It goes in pretty nicely. I seat it so it is about .003 off the lands. You should consider doing a ladder test to see what your rifle likes. There is a good thread on here that explains how to do it. I dont remember what it is called but try googling it.

Thanks guys. I ran a ladder with the 190's and I'll try those first and see how it goes. Got 50 of em loaded with 208's and heading to the range tomorrow. I say range, it's actually a ridgeline road in the hills. started with 61.5 gr h4350 coal 2.90.

Nutz,

How'd that trip to the "range" go? I've been thinking about a .300 WM or WSM and this thread has been great.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I had luck with both the 190s and the 208s. I had to put on a 30moa base to get the elevation. For me right now, groups at 1760 aren't measured in inches, they're measured in feet!!! LOL. We built a target that was two 4x8' pieces of plywood stacked sideways. My first hit with the 208 was about 100 yds in front of the target. I adjusted and hit the bottom about 2' south of my 2' target. I adjusted again and hit the target at 11 o clock. Next shot was about 1' down from the last and 2' left. There wasn't much wind, I'd say about 2-5. I managed to hit the plywood everytime after that but the grouping was huge. About six foot with the 190s. The 208s were a little better at 4 1/2-5 FT. I've got a ways to go in learning to read the wind at that distance. I certainly recommend a scope higher than a 16x super sniper. I spent the last 20 shots at 1000 on a tin bucket. Was able to roll it like a beer can with both weights. Does anyone have any advice to help me get better?

I'd be surprised if anyone can do better... there's just too many random variables at play that can add/subtract to tightly group 3 shots, then disperse the next three, for example. For 1760, one MOA would be almost 18.5 inches... my guess is to keep within 2 MOA at that distance would be amazing, given that the bullet would increasingly vary outside of a pure ballistic drop.

I'm chasing the one mile goal with a 300 wsm, also. I am in the third stage of testing with the 208 Amax, but I bought a box of the 225 Match projectiles after hearing how well they performed for Chad and CKA. My 208 Amax load was pushing 2983 fps during initial testing, so on paper it needs 18.3 mrad to reach 1760. I'm swapping some equipment, so my testing is kind of on hold for now.

GardDog: Can't you just change out the base? I used a 30minute base to get out that far. That's what I had to use to make a 16 power ss get out there. How fast could you run ur 220's? I had a reamer built for a 3.14" 300wsm that was throated for 240's. The problem I ran into was pressure signs at 64.5 grains. The speed didn't seem like enough at the time and I was getting frustrated with big groups at 300. If I woulda just stuck with it who knows what woulda happened?!
cry.gif

Twigglenutz,

First, I'd say you found all the right bullets. What you need to do is learn to use slower powders. For the .heavies in .30 cal try RE-25, H1000 or Retumbo. VV has a newer one out, N570. But, I don't find it very often.

I think you'll find with slower powders and heavier bullets, the charge will get the initial pressure up high enough to be efficient, while at the same time giving you more push down the barrel.

i was having the same problems when i first started shooting at a mile. i was using a bushnell 4200 6-24x50 scope and my groups were dancing all around the target. When i traded it out to my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 my groups started to tighten up. I think that it was due to the fact the cross hairs were so big at those ranges and blocked out the small target i was shooting at and it made it hard to hold the same POA each time. Now i have the NP-R1 reticle and i have no real problem holding on the same spot each time if i have a steady rest. I know that 208 amax bullets and h4350 work great together, so if you did a ladder test with them you should be fine with your load. I recommend getting a better piece of glass. You'll be amazed what it will do for accuracy IMO. I recommend a Nightforce, it is expensive but you will not be disappointed at with it. I had to save my pennies for about six months to get mine but i am extremely happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twigglenutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GardDog: Can't you just change out the base? I used a 30minute base to get out that far. That's what I had to use to make a 16 power ss get out there.</div></div>

Yeah, I'm swapping my 20 moa base for the 30 moa version. The new scope was just lagniappe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twigglenutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How fast could you run ur 220's? </div></div>

I haven't even cracked the seal on the 220's box yet. If the 208's fail miserably (I haven't taken them past 400 yards yet), I'll work up a load with the 220's.

My combo of norma brass, 210 bergers and h-4831 with horus vision reticle, roughly 70min elevation from 100yd zero with the conditions that day,I have personally hit a 18"x20" gong multiple times at the magical mile.

i was finally able to get on target at mile today. I hit a 12"x12" plate two times in a row with a 10 mph variable cross wind. I took 6 spotter shots till i got the wind figured out. I had changed my load from my last suggested post (I got a new barrel). Here is my new load 63.2gr H4350, 208gr A-max, win brass, CCI 250, and COAL 3.125 (.005 of lands) 2875 FPS. Hope this helps a little bit.

Hey hillian: i was using 65gr h-4831sc. my reamer has .220 freebore which is long throated.

excaliber: Thanks for that information. My chamber started with a .066 freebore and I used a finish reamer to extend it to around .270. I've traditionally used 4831 for my 300WSM. This spring I started focusing on H100V. H100V is to fast for the increased case capacity. I'm starting to evaluate slower powders now.

hillian: one reason I use Hodgdon extreme powder is because it is less temperature sensitive. Reloader 22 is great for 300wsm but it is temp sensitive. I also tried H-1000(great) but highly compressed which is OK but accuracy suffered. Chronograph it in winter and then summer and you will agree.

OK im back. Im also hooked on 208s. LOL. I just put a 20 minute base back on and used a millett 6-25x56. It was clearer than the SS. I was able to hit a 2x2' steel plate 9 times total out of 20 shots. Have u guys ever been able to watch ur trace through the heat waves? I can say one thing, if you would like to learn to shoot 1000 yards better, go spend some time at a mile. I think im getting the hang of it. It'll take a while to hit a 1' sq plate but it could be done under favorable conditions. Its just so cool that this short fat case will go that damn far!!! Thanks for all the help and advice guys!!