• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17HMR Rim-X

BisSilent

Trailer Park Engineer
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2020
Got my 20" 17hmr barrel from @orkan today so I had to try it out. It seems to be a shooter. Here is a group at 100 yards. That damn 5th round always gets me. I gotta get the right scope mount and an arca rail. I suspect I will put a tuner on it and will find the ammo it likes. For now I'm really stoked!!! (Calipers zeroed at 0.17)
20210528_183317.jpg
20210528_183339.jpg
20210528_183449.jpg
20210528_184018.jpg
20210528_184105.jpg
20210528_184327.jpg

17 hmr is my favorite rimfire cartridge.
Spent quite a bit of time and cash learning it's limitations.
Things to remember...

Only two companies actually manufacture 17 hmr cartridges.
CCI and Winchester make all the 17 hmr available at this time.
Browning is relabeled Winchester production.
Everything else is put together by CCI on the CCI assembly line.
Only differences are head stamps, labels and tip colors.
The box may read Remington, Federal, Norma or Hornady,
but what's inside is CCI.

It's all intended for use as hunting/varminting ammo.
Don't expect precision results punching paper.
Y'er gonna see strays and fliers due to slop on the production lines.
Expect the ES to swing from a low of 80 fps to over 300 fps.
Don't go thinking that those wanderers are due to the rifle or are your fault.
It's not match grade ammo...just mass produced bulk cartridges.
No factory lot testing or batch grading.
Purchasing by brand will not be a guarantee of good results.
Nor will weight or projectile type offer any advantage.
I've had great results from all the brands and poor results too.
Such is the luck of the assembly line lottery.

Last edited:
Anybody besides volquartson offer a 17 cal tube in carbon fiber? That’s what I’m holding out for.

You're handicap as well I see😂🤣😅
No I'm disabled growing up with my two brothers who were right handed. I always had hand me down right handed guns ,though I shoot left handed with a gun right handed with a bow. I shot competitive archery for years got a master bow hunters status. Then in 1993 I got my right trigger finger cut off in a machine mishap. Had to retrain my index finger for release shooting. I shoot right hand with my rifles often just incase something happens to my left hand.😉 so now I shoot right hand actions left handed.

No I'm disabled growing up with my two brothers who were right handed. I always had hand me down right handed guns ,though I shoot left handed with a gun right handed with a bow. I shot competitive archery for years got a master bow hunters status. Then in 1993 I got my right trigger finger cut off in a machine mishap. Had to retrain my index finger for release shooting. I shoot right hand with my rifles often just incase something happens to my left hand.😉 so now I shoot right hand actions left handed.
Damn, I was just talking about your grammar🙄