• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18” .308 barrel on AI AT?

704N

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
This has probable been covered before, but cannot find so either advise or direction pls.

I’m considering a 18” barrel (with a break) for my AI AT in .308 1:10 twist rate. My question is with the right bullet will it reach 1000yds with reasonable accuracy, I’m thinking 185grn or 168grn

If so, a good bullet for doing so with this combo. The rifle will be used mainly for Civilian Service Rifle out to 500yds here in the UK with occasional 1000yd snaps shooting for which a suppressor will be added.

Many thanks

The video is old, but it's an 18" @ 1000, Frank doesn't seem to have any trouble, but it's probably not that easy, he doesn't say what gr. bullet he's shooting but I remember him saying something about having a good load with the Berger 185gr. Juggernauts, don't remember the powder though.

Last edited:
When Was running the 185's I used PP2000MR 46-48 grains. I had a 22" barrel though. The 168's will more than likely give you a fit, stay with the 185's.

I was right about 2700 fps with mine, thumpers

The video is old, but it's an 18" @ 1000, Frank doesn't seem to have any trouble, but it's probably not that easy, he doesn't say what gr. bullet he's shooting but I remember him saying something about having a good load with the Berger 185gr. Juggernauts, don't remember the powder though.

2000MR

I ran my 16.75” .308 w/ 175’s to 900 several times.

7A07A815-5B06-41A2-8FD9-E8A3D52BE8B5.jpeg

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Federal GMM 185 Berger Juggernauts will get you there in an 18” gun. I do it very regularly with my SR-25 16” ACC, as well as my A.I. 20” .308.
The 175SMK are very spotty to 1K from a 16” gun, but the 185’s are quite predictable.
That’s from a factory load, handloads open up an ENTIRELY new world of possibilities.

Definitely need the twist. I shot a 20" 1/12 .308 178 with 44g varget and definitely ran out of steam past 800. 1000 looked horrible. I have a 16" 1/10 im eagle to play with. I did enjoy my 16" 1/8 (wish i didnt sell to a buddy)

I'm pretty sure there was a recent podcast with Frank, Mike, and Adam just talking about this. All scoring hits out past 1000 on a 24", 22", and 18" 308 and they talked about their dopes.

Reactions: dozer460
As mentioned previously, 2000MR and 185 Jugs. IIRC, it was running 2700fps. Definitely raised my eyebrows when listening to the podcast (It was like, me driving down the round with a sudden "Whhhaaa?", and reaching over to tap the "rewind 30 seconds" button to make sure I heard it correctly.).

As mentioned previously, 2000MR and 185 Jugs. IIRC, it was running 2700fps. Definitely raised my eyebrows when listening to the podcast (It was like, me driving down the round with a sudden "Whhhaaa?", and reaching over to tap the "rewind 30 seconds" button to make sure I heard it correctly.).

I think I did the same thing, rather multiple times haha

Reactions: MarinePMI
LOL! Glad I wasn't alone in that.... :p

Which episode of the podcast was this in? I'm looking to do the same here (18-20" 1:10 with 185 Juggs) and want to give it a revisit, but I don't remember which episode it is, and Podbean is a pain to search through episodes individually. Thanks!

Reactions: dozer460
I'm pretty sure there was a recent podcast with Frank, Mike, and Adam just talking about this. All scoring hits out past 1000 on a 24", 22", and 18" 308 and they talked about their dopes.
Do you happen to know the number or date? I would love to listen to it.

Which episode of the podcast was this in? I'm looking to do the same here (18-20" 1:10 with 185 Juggs) and want to give it a revisit, but I don't remember which episode it is, and Podbean is a pain to search through episodes individually. Thanks!
Hey Bash, I think he mentioned it again in his latest podcast (either right before his Father passed, or the one right after), maybe 124 or 127, 128? I wanna say it was somewhere around 45grs of 200MR...(which jives with the same range of their load data listed for Jugs).

Attachments

• 2018_Alliant_Powder.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh and Basher
Do you happen to know the number or date? I would love to listen to it.

Man I don't recall as I have a lot to catch up on and I've bounced around a bit. I'll attempt to narrow it down later. I thought it was in the 1Teens but can't remember. It was a really good one that I wanted to save so I'll get it found for you.

Thanks guys, I'm listening through them again so I'll just jump ahead and see if I can narrow it down. (y)

So Episode 99 is titled (oddly enough...) "Short .308 Rifles." :LOL: However, no 185 Jugg info in that one, just 168 ELD-M and Prime 175 info. Still a super informative episode, though. Maybe I'll have to do some more homework comparing the BCs of the Juggernauts in comparison to ELD-Ms, SMKs, Hybrids, etc. Paul (the other guy in the episode) stated that the 168 ELD-Ms had a higher BC than the 175s, but he didn't state if he was referring to ELD-Ms, SMKs, or what. So I'll dig around some, but if anyone wants to listen to it, you're looking for Episode 99.

Frank was using 175gr Cor-Bon ammo, you can see the boxes in the video.

I am sure the new 168gr TMK and ELDMs have a redesigned boat tail. I remember 9 deg instead of the 13deg from the SMK

Frank was using 175gr Cor-Bon ammo, you can see the boxes in the video.

I am sure the new 168gr TMK and ELDMs have a redesigned boat tail. I remember 9 deg instead of the 13deg from the SMK

Ummm...we were talking about the podcast, not the video...

I am tracking that, i was responding to Jakerz, but i dont know how to post the @ thing.

Second part was a response to C-grunt

The 185 load frank has tested for awhile. Before the podcasts came out. I started shooting it in my 20" 308 before Federal started loading it. Phenomenal difference. I switched to the factory load when it came out because I can get it at a really good price so it makes it worth buying rather than the taking the time to load. But if your loading that 2000MR and 185 bullets are where it's at.