• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18.5" 17 HMR barrel too short?

Fungun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
I have a Ruger 77/17 that I'm looking to have re-barreled. I will be shooting it suppressed 100% of the time and want to know if 18.5" is too short for the 17 HMR cartridge. Primary use for the rifle would be shooting steel spinners and clay targets 200 yds and less.

I'm trying to keep the rifle as compact as possible while suppressed. Yes I know 17HMR is supersonic/loud even suppressed. I have a SS Sparrow, Specter II now, but may purchase the TBAC 22L1 as it's dedicated can.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18.5" 17 HMR barrel too short?

Desert Monkey any pics of your setup? What suppressor are you running??

Last edited:
I chopped my cz453 17hmr barrel down to 16.5" and it shoots great. Haven't run it over the chrono to see how much velocity I lost but really don't care either. It handles great, is still accurate as hell, and the squirrels still die just as good :)

No supressor btw...

GreggNY what's your longest range on the Squirrels?

GreggNY what's your longest range on the Squirrels?

I only used this rifle early in the season when the trees were still thick so farthest shot was only about 50yds. I've shot it at the range out to 100, and would feel very comfortable taking shots to at least that range. There aren't too many opportunities to stretch it much farther in these woods though

GreggNY

Sorry I was thinking ground squirrels, not tree.

I have my Ruger 77/17 right at 20"...randy at Connecticut Precision Chambering put it together for me (look up CPC on the web for some of his work). I've taken 4 Coyotes with it...a metric shit ton of crows, woodchucks and one rat (the rat was the most rewarding)
I use a YHM Stainless mite on it that David Saylors at Liberty recored for me.
Only bs issue that I have is that to hunt suppressed I have to take to PA as the state of CT doesn't see the benefits to allow suppressor use when afield.

Last edited:
Thanks malaga2. I was thinking on using Clark Customs since that is the only one I have found. I will check out CPC.

getting shorter all the time in e/u just shot the new anschutz match 64 1517 imported by ruag uk with a 14" barrel,flat and accurate to 200.

I have a Ruger 77/17 that I'm looking to have re-barreled. I will be shooting it suppressed 100% of the time and want to know if 18.5" is too short for the 17 HMR cartridge. Primary use for the rifle would be shooting steel spinners and clay targets 200 yds and less.

I'm trying to keep the rifle as compact as possible while suppressed. Yes I know 17HMR is supersonic/loud even suppressed. I have a SS Sparrow, Specter II now, but may purchase the TBAC 22L1 as it's dedicated can.

Thanks

Fungun
Just be carefull, there should be no problem, but you will loose velocity. Watch for what the .22 LR guys say about shorter barrel lengths, different twist OGIVE, etc. I will say one thing, back in Benning the boys found out the optimum barrel length for a 7.62 modified M24 SWS was 16.8 inches. Larue Tactical went with that length for their 7.62 OBR which has won the international Sniper competition 3 years in a row...all this meaning that longer does not always mean better (Crap!!! I hope my wife doesn't read this!!!)

getting shorter all the time in e/u just shot the new anschutz match 64 1517 imported by ruag uk with a 14" barrel,flat and accurate to 200.

If 14" was good to go, I will probably end up going 16.1" + 6" suppressor.