• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" 7mm-08

Fletcher/AAC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
ATL
What kind of velocities can I expect from an 18" 7mm-08 9 twist Kreiger firing the 162AMAX?

Re: 18" 7mm-08

I have been wondering just about the same thing only in 20". Wanna try something different than the same old .308. but would like some real world numbers on the 18"-20" 7-08.

I've read 2600 to 2700 in some other threads but don't quote me on that.

Edit to add

Found it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting 2600fps out of my 18" 7mm-08 with IMR4064...gonna try RL17 and see if I can gain any velocity. </div></div>

That guy said he was getting 2600 in a factory tube. I guess I should get a little more out of the Kreiger right??

I get 2750 out of a 25" with a hot load. 2600 would be about right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get 2750 out of a 25" with a hot load. 2600 would be about right. </div></div>

Whats your hot load? Hot to some it not to others.

Thanks

I think that might be a bit ambitious. If you get 2750 from a 25", and cut 5" off, I would expect to loose 40-50 fps per inch, specifically because of the length at which you are cutting. I think you might be closer to the 2550ish range or less. Give it a go, I would bet that many would be interested in knowing.

Hot enough that if I don't drop the load down for this sundays shoot at an expected 85 degrees, I don't expect the cases will hold a primer for a second loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2720 out of a 22" Douglas. Short as I'd want to go with the caliber. </div></div>

Same here.

Picking up some Standard primers today to start playing with RL17. So far I have gotten 2600fps AVG from 162gr Amax and IMR4064 (above max book load so go way down and work up for safety) 41.3gr with CCI Magnum primers. RP brass in a factory tube cut and crowned to 18".

It is a very good little package and I never run the Thruster Brake on it since you do get a lot more ear smack with the brake on. Doubled up is ok.....and I am pretty freakin deaf.

All in all I would whole heartedly do it again....more pics and an actual writeup on the 18" 7mm-08 Rem when I get off my ass!!!

100_4244.jpg

100_4246.jpg

100_4247-1.jpg

OK,

The barrel should be here tomorrow and I have the rest of the components already.

-Kreiger 1-9twist Remington Varmit contour deep spiral fluting and cut to 18" and threaded 5/8x24 for Cyclone K.
-Surgeon 591 and DBM
-Mcmillan A1-3
-Nightforce 2.5-10x32 Mil/Mil
-Seekins 30mm low rings
-Barrel and action melonite coated

My plan is to have the rifle be around 10 pounds scoped, with the silencer attached (no bipod). It will be much handier than in it's current configuration (18 lbs). I will be shooting 162 amax loads at hopefully 2600 fps, it should be a killer.

The smith said I should have it back in 6 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picking up some Standard primers today to start playing with RL17. So far I have gotten 2600fps AVG from 162gr Amax and IMR4064 (above max book load so go way down and work up for safety) 41.3gr with CCI Magnum primers. RP brass in a factory tube cut and crowned to 18".

It is a very good little package and I never run the Thruster Brake on it since you do get a lot more ear smack with the brake on. Doubled up is ok.....and I am pretty freakin deaf.

All in all I would whole heartedly do it again....more pics and an actual writeup on the 18" 7mm-08 Rem when I get off my ass!!!</div></div>
Whats the OAL on these? Do you now how far they're jumping?
I'm building a commercial FN M98 with a 24" #5 Shilen in 7-08. Looking forward to shooting it.
7-08 threads always catch my eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The smith said I should have it back in 6 weeks. </div></div>

laugh.gif

Yeah sure!!!!

That will be a very nice rifle....they are very handy and while I haven't weighed mine yet I know it is a lot more balanced...especially in improvised positions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm building a commercial FN M98 with a 24" #5 Shilen in 7-08. Looking forward to shooting it.
7-08 threads always catch my eye. </div></div>

Factory Fedral 140gr Nosler Ballistic tips come in at: OAL 2.758" and 2.298" to the Ogive

My handloads with 162gr Hornady Amax run 2.935" OAL and 2.253" to the Ogive

From what I gathered the Amax's like .010" jump. I have not done any accuracy load development yet...just for velocity and it seems to work out ok, but I can't tell if it is the shooter or the loading...probably the shooter!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

7-08 threads always catch my eye. </div></div>

Factory Fedral 140gr Nosler Ballistic tips come in at: OAL 2.758" and 2.298" to the Ogive

My handloads with 162gr Hornady Amax run 2.935" OAL and 2.253" to the Ogive

From what I gathered the Amax's like .010" jump. I have not done any accuracy load development yet...just for velocity and it seems to work out ok, but I can't tell if it is the shooter or the loading...probably the shooter!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>
So the Amax's are .177 longer, but .045 shorter to the ogive? Must be the difference in radius. (secant vs. tangential).
Unless the factory 140 nosler load is jammed way into the lands, would it be safe to say your Amax's are jumping at least .040"? (sorry if this is a hijack...just cought my attention)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK,

The barrel should be here tomorrow and I have the rest of the components already.

-Kreiger 1-9twist Remington Varmit contour deep spiral fluting and cut to 18" and threaded 5/8x24 for Cyclone K.
-Surgeon 591 and DBM
-Mcmillan A1-3
-Nightforce 2.5-10x32 Mil/Mil
-Seekins 30mm low rings
-Barrel and action melonite coated

My plan is to have the rifle be around 10 pounds scoped, with the silencer attached (no bipod). It will be much handier than in it's current configuration (18 lbs). I will be shooting 162 amax loads at hopefully 2600 fps, it should be a killer.

The smith said I should have it back in 6 weeks. </div></div>

Sounds like a hell of a rig !!!

Yeah the Amaxes are very long and the Nosler Ballistic tips have a crimped canalure (SP) but I started .010" off the lands and had to bump them back for the AICS mags, and I haven't checked my actual jump.....that is about as long as I can run them in the mags with the forward plate removed.

Before:
2010-05-07232820.jpg

After:
custom029.jpg

Should be back next week, I'll try and post some numbers with the 162AMAX, RL-15 and RL-17 by next weekend.

^^ Yes, very nice....my 7-08 is still laying in parts, be interested in how your's shoots for you.

Fbomb - that spiral fluting is sick! Nicely done on that one. I love the 18" rifles, they are a great little package.

nice you guys are tempting me to go shorter than the 24" i am planning on currently. i may just start at 24 check velocity and cut down 2" at a time to 20".

Just got the rifle in hand, have some rounds loaded up. I cannot believe how much better the balance and handling are.

IMG_20100916_182015.jpg

IMG_20100916_182006.jpg

IMG_20100916_181956.jpg

IMG_20100916_181945.jpg

Sighted everything in, and it is a solid half minute shooter. With a hundred yard zero, I was dialing 1.6 mils for a 363yd shot and hitting 4" clay pidgeons.

It would seem like I am actually over 2700fps with 42grains of RL-15. Pressure is still not showing on the brass or primer, and there is still more powder capacity. I am trying to get access to a chronograph tomorrow.

The rifle is such a great off hand platform, I am amazed at how well I was shooting with a TAB sling at 200 yds.

Bad ass fucking rifle!!!

It is a very liberating feeling lugging these types of rifle's around all day at matches.....and just laughing for the guy with the 18lb Magnum!!!

I recently went to a small Tactical Tailor backpack, and have been practicing shooting off the ruck rather than the bipod....keep the bipod in the pack but not having a bipod out there really helps with freehand type shots!!