• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18 inch 308 Barrel lenght???

jakhamr81

Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
FT Smith, Ar
I've read a couple of articles on other sights about an 18 inch barrel length being the ideal length for velocity and handling for a bolt action 308. I would like to here some of your input on this.

Re: 18 inch 308 Barrel lenght???

Welcome to the hide.

Read around you'll find out what everyone thinks about 18''

They blow up.....a waste of time, effort and energy.....

2h7nf6f.jpg

This one really blows......

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPwXOUxCiGE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPwXOUxCiGE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

^^^Notice the video is 18.5" barrel, that extra .5 makes the difference^^^

In short, they work, they get to 1k, they are handy.

Don't shoot 168's and the world is yours.

i had mine out to 1500 yards.

i won't build another one though. then again, i probably won't build another 308 period.

ok why the 168 hate? just curious as i am new to alot of the reloading and ballistics aspects. are you guys just saying nyet to 168s at the 600-1000y range? i heard people say 155s or 175s were better for the 1k, but with over 1000 168g smk still unopened, i just want to be clear on the 168 hate. for me with the limited spots i have to shoot at, 300y will be the longest for now, but i will find some longer range spots eventually

plus i have really been thinking about going to 18"ish on my savage

Axe, the 168 Sierra Matchking is the one that everyone hates, it was designed for 300 competitions back when. They fall apart after about 800 due to the boat tail design and go subsonic very unpredictable. I would shoot the 155 scenars or any of them (except the 155 Amax) or shoot the 175s and 178s

168's do fine at shorter range, and if you already have them shoot them. Since they're basically the same price as other weight bullets with better BC, and have no other advantages, buy 155's or 175's next time.

cool, that makes sense. i will keep an eye out for the other weights when people are clearing stuff out. i grabbed the 168s cheap when a member here was going to 6.5s and i figured that if nothing else, it was a good start and if i cant get it after 1000 rounds, the bullet wont be the biggest concern i have, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cool, that makes sense. i will keep an eye out for the other weights when people are clearing stuff out. i grabbed the 168s cheap when a member here was going to 6.5s and i figured that if nothing else, it was a good start and if i cant get it after 1000 rounds, the bullet wont be the biggest concern i have, lol. </div></div>

Like stated before they seam to hit a brick wall at 800 and wind throws them around pretty bad past 500.. I'm currently doing load development on some 175s at the momment.

Good luck,
Merritt

hard to believe that just the extra 5 to 7 grains will make that difference or that the speed in a 155 will overcome all of that huh? i will start snagging the different weights. most of the stuff around here is 300y or less. im hoping after a few matches ill meet some people with really big back yards, lol

i am really torn about having the 24" cut to 18"... maybe ill get a new barrel already 18" long. and threaded.

Don't chop that barrel unless you intend to throw a can on it. There is no reason to unless it's a hunting rig or LE/Mil rig where weight and length may be an issue. Why handicap a .308 anymore than you have to?

Don't believe all the short barrel hype on this site. It's as rampant as roofies at a frat party.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't chop that barrel unless you intend to throw a can on it. There is no reason to unless it's a hunting rig or LE/Mil rig where weight and length may be an issue. Why handicap a .308 anymore than you have to?

Don't believe all the short barrel hype on this site. It's as rampant as roofies at a frat party. </div></div>

What about it is hype???? I shoot just fine out to 1K @ sea level with an 18" barrel...
confused.gif

Just cut it, it would be better to find out whether you want it short with the cheap factory barrel. Hooper cut mine to 20" and I love the handling. Comeups are a little different but that doesn't change whether I can hit something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't chop that barrel unless you intend to throw a can on it. There is no reason to unless it's a hunting rig or LE/Mil rig where weight and length may be an issue. Why handicap a .308 anymore than you have to?

Don't believe all the short barrel hype on this site. It's as rampant as roofies at a frat party. </div></div>

What about it is hype???? I shoot just fine out to 1K @ sea level with an 18" barrel...
confused.gif
</div></div>

As I stated above, why handicap a .308 anymore than absolutely necessary?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't chop that barrel unless you intend to throw a can on it. There is no reason to unless it's a hunting rig or LE/Mil rig where weight and length may be an issue. Why handicap a .308 anymore than you have to?

confused.gif
</div></div>

As I stated above, why handicap a .308 anymore than absolutely necessary? </div></div>

it's all a trade off, there is no free lunch. having a longer barrel may be more of a handicap than the ultimate 1000 yard performance to some people.

then again, if i was looking for the ultimate 1000 yard performance, i wouldn't be looking at a 308 in the first place.

i shot four months worth of long range matches this year with my 18" 308. i don't think my score would have been much, if any higher with a longer barrel. now shooting my 284 in that match made a huge difference in my score.

edit: i was really hitting a 21" target at 1500 yards including a second round hit with my 18" 308 and someone else's handloads. is it the ideal rifle for that? hell no. did it work? sure did.

mine was a balance/weight/possible supressor thought. maybe just thread the 24" just not sure either way. if/when i get the can, ill decide then

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't chop that barrel unless you intend to throw a can on it. There is no reason to unless it's a hunting rig or LE/Mil rig where weight and length may be an issue. Why handicap a .308 anymore than you have to?

I think Swan summed up my thoughts on this topic very well. In other words, don't chop down a barrel to be "tactical cool", do it because you need it.

One would not really need faster powder to go from a 26 to a 16-20 inch barrel. Peak chamber pressure usually happens in less than 1 inch of bullet travel, so chances are you could never use a faster powder just by shortening the barrel. Technically it is correct, but the difference is too small to actually do much about and may only account for a few fps difference if anything. The powder burn rate selection has much more to do with the case capacity and mass of the bullet.

Blah blah blah.

Define <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">your</span></span> requirement, build the gun.

If the majority of your shots are 800-1,000 yards build a gun to shoot on your belly and put on the appropriate optics.

If you have to move a lot, track, or shoot quickly from positions other than prone build a rifle that meets your requirements.

Settling for an out-of-the box rifle is usually something Soldiers and cops are REQUIRED to do, not necessarily to meet a mission requirement.