• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 18 inch larue have all the shooting range i need and a run and gun set up what scope?

Wheelsonly

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Sf Bay area
So i have a ranch in Napa valley ca I am set up to shoot 1000 yards and everything in between my nieghbor shoots 3 gun and has 10 steel targets for run and gun play set up on my property..
Looking into 2.5-10x32 from vortex swfa 1-6 or possibly nightforce used 3.5-15x50 what to you think i should mount i dont mind shooting either distance but id say id mostly be playing at 25-250 yards what is the best bang for the buck really looking hard at the vortex and swfa.

18" @1k, you'll probably need to run 155's. and i'd get the nightforce. the SWFA SS 5-20, or maybe the new 3-15 if you want FFP would be good choices. keep in mind FFP hairs are pretty thick @1k+. all depends on $$

Got a 20" 762 -with a 3x17 USO on it. With the H27 reticle, it's bad to the bone inside that magic 1000 yards.

Next choice would be an S&B 4x16 or 3x20 or 5x25, reticle of your choice.

10x is OK for 1k, more is better if mirage isn't too bad. Somewhere around 20x-ish, it's hard to locate targets quickly. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not looking to shook 1k with a 556 just wondering if you had the option to set a gun up for mid range or 3 gun set up.. I guess being on snipershide long range is the theme here lol like I said I'm looking for the best option for 25 to 250 maybe 350 yards..

Oh it's 223... i think the perfect scope for that will be the Nightforce 2.5-10x42mm that is coming out. At least that's what i'm putting on my Larue 223.

Yep, I agree, a 2.5-10x is a very versatile mag range and near perfect for a 556 spr. The new ffp Vortex seems like a great value. I would also seriously look at the Swfa 3-9x even though the 3-15x is the latest offering, the former is a little more compact and plenty powerful enough to shoot out to as far as 556 stays supersonic. For 3 gun and tactical shooting were the action is fast, I don't think parallax adjustment is necessary. If you don't plan to exceed 500 yards very often, the Swfa 1-6 would be great too, especially if doing much up real close. There are more options too, as the budget goes up...

I think your best three gun match optic would be in the 1-6 range. I shoot three gun with a 1-4 Vortex PST but the range I shoot out only goes to 325 yards and steel is placed all over the range so you have to have a very versatile optic in order to acquire the target and take it out in a quick manner. I like having the 1 power option for close in targets and having the 4 power for the longer 300 yard targets. Three gun is about speed and you have to be able to acquire the targets so magnification is not always your friend.

So i have a ranch in Napa valley ca I am set up to shoot 1000 yards and everything in between my nieghbor shoots 3 gun and has 10 steel targets for run and gun play set up on my property..
Looking into 2.5-10x32 from vortex swfa 1-6 or possibly nightforce used 3.5-15x50 what to you think i should mount i dont mind shooting either distance but id say id mostly be playing at 25-250 yards what is the best bang for the buck really looking hard at the vortex and swfa.

1000 yards in norcal? Can I be yo boyfriend?

The new vortex 2.5-10x32 looks like the best bang for the buck however if you have the 308 18" OBR I'd get something like the bushnell HDMR (15-20X on top end, FFP, holdover reticule).

Also you can run-n-gun @ 200-250 yards with irons unless the targets are really small or you're really blind...

i thought it was a 308 too. the nightforce would be great. the SS3-15, and the vortex 2.5-10 PST, if the NF is a no go.

Look hard at the Vortex Razor II 1-6x24. Excellent optic for what you want to do. 2.5-10 would be a good scope if you were going 100 and out but for closer in a 1-6x would be better for 10" steel from 25-250 yards. Another option is something like Warne RAMP mount with a 2.5-10x in it and a small red dot on the side.

Here's what a Vortex 1-6x looks like on an 18" Seekins Precision. The mount is mounted too far forward and I am in the process of getting a new one.
DSCN1917_zpsa0112aac.jpg

DSCN1918_zps8f1ecef9.jpg

I've been really happy with my Bushnell 3.5-21x50 G2DMR. I haven't thrown it down a driveway yet but it seems tough and fit/finish were excellent. Scope was about half the cost of the rifle (OBR 18")

Look hard at the Vortex Razor II 1-6x24. Excellent optic for what you want to do. 2.5-10 would be a good scope if you were going 100 and out but for closer in a 1-6x would be better for 10" steel from 25-250 yards. Another option is something like Warne RAMP mount with a 2.5-10x in it and a small red dot on the side.

Here's what a Vortex 1-6x looks like on an 18" Seekins Precision. The mount is mounted too far forward and I am in the process of getting a new one.
DSCN1917_zpsa0112aac.jpg

DSCN1918_zps8f1ecef9.jpg

Nice scope I had the swfa 1-4 but a 200 yards i want to see more of the target so i sold for the 1-6 so either the 1-6 or 2.5x10 from vortex

Do the 2.5-10x32 with a small side dot on a 45 degree angle. It will do everything you need from point blank to 1000.