• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18 to 16" 308 barrel swap help

metalfarm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2017
Just put nightforce nx8 2.5-20 first range trip. scope is amazing, which is what triggered the barrel upgrade.

Aero build. Hunting rifle. Walk with it several miles at a time. Switching from 18" BA to 16" Proof carbon.

I've got a few questions as I've moved homes and no longer have a vice or vice blocks or reaction rod or all the fun stuff. It's been a couple years.

What block/rod is best for swapping this barrel out without taking the scope off?

Is it ok to go from rifle to intermediate gas tube with a rifle buffer?

Current barrel has JP gas block with rifle length tube. New barrel is intermediate. Suggestions on pinned gas block for Proof carbon barrel?

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks

Thanks!

I would never try to take a barrel off without removing the scope. I mean, it's so easy to do, why risk it?

I would get an adjustable gas block for sure. Slr, superlative, jp, whatever. That way if your gas system length isn't perfect you can tune it. I don't think buffer will matter much with an adjustable gas block. If you end up needing something heavier, you should check out heavybuffers.com

I would never try to take a barrel off without removing the scope. I mean, it's so easy to do, why risk it?

I would get an adjustable gas block for sure. Slr, superlative, jp, whatever. That way if your gas system length isn't perfect you can tune it. I don't think buffer will matter much with an adjustable gas block. If you end up needing something heavier, you should check out heavybuffers.com

Agree with everything here.
You already have a nice shooting rifle, and a great scope. In my opinion, take the time and do it correctly.
You only need a couple of very basic tools to make the job easy peasy.
Invest in a Harbor Freight vice. It doesn’t have to be an awesome vice, it just needs to work. Get yourself a Geiselle Reaction Rod, or a Knightstick. This will eliminate hearing a cracking noise in your magwell as you crack your lower receiver removing your barrel.
For the cost of a Reaction Rod, a MagPul wrench, and an inexpensive vice, you’ll save a TON of headaches should you lunch a lower.
As far as gas blocks, my personal one is Superlative Arms. Not saying they’re the best, just know them, and they have always worked for me.

As far as removing your scope.....why would you not? You’re going to re-zero anyway. Mark the position, and get it safely out of the way.

Thanks Vegas! This is what I needed to hear. Been a couple years since I've built one. Not sure why it didn't compute to take the scope off lol.

Reuse the barrel nut?

Ordering reaction rod and wrench now thanks.

You can certainly reuse the nut. As long as you don’t change the rail.
Most rails have some kind of proprietary nut to them.
Other than that, use it and rock on.

Reactions: metalfarm
Get yourself a Geiselle Reaction Rod, or a Knightstick. This will eliminate hearing a cracking noise in your magwell as you crack your lower receiver removing your barrel.
I've assembled and disassembled many AR type rifles and have never used or owned any type of reaction rod. You don't remove a barrel from an upper while it's attached to the lower. Ever.

I've assembled and disassembled many AR type rifles and have never used or owned any type of reaction rod. You don't remove a barrel from an upper while it's attached to the lower. Ever.

Believe me when I tell you I have seen guys do it. I did not, in any way, say it was correct, but I’ve seen many things done incorrectly.

There are many ways to do it. A Mag Pul Bev Block is one. You can use that to transfer to torque to the barrel extension. That is doing the same thing as a Reaction Rod. You can also use an upper receiver clam shell holder that wraps the upper receiver up, and supports it in the vice. There are several ways to do it correctly.

I’m simply stating that a Reaction Rod is my choice. Actually, since I own KAC’s, I use a KnightStick do to the KAC barrel extension.

I sheared an index pin once using a reaction rod. Sent it to compass lake to get fixed. They said they had seen it done several times and because of that recommended a clam shell type clamp. With a reaction rod a lot of torque gets put on the barrel extension and index pin. With a clam shell it spreads the torque over the whole upper.

Lots of people use and like reaction rods, and have had no problems with them. Just be careful with whatever you decide to use.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter