• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

180 berger in 7wsm

Re: 180 berger in 7wsm

RL-25, H1000, H4831. Look in the reloading Depot under 7mm lots of loads in there.

JeffVN

a-hull,

I worked up to 62.5 gr. for a velocity of about 2830. It's not a real hot load though. I'm interested in saving the barrel and letting the bullet do more of the work. Bullets loaded .010" into the lands. Bergers are just that way.

To verify go to www.hodgdon.com and go to their reloading center. Just hit the dropdown boxes and that will give you a starting point. I wouldn't have any problem starting at 60 gr.

Edit:

I thought I might explain a little better. If you go to the Hodgdon website you will see the highest bullet they list is the 175 by Speer. That bullet has a long bearing surface. A Berger 180 with the shorter bearing surface can be loaded a little hotter. Still, every rifle is different so work up. You need to have a 1-9" twist for sure loading these BTW.

if you need some 180's let me know I have a few hundred my rifle seems to like the 162's alittle better.

scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">61g 4831sc getting me 2975fps out of a 25'' barrel
</div></div>

I find that very hard to belive if its out of a straight up 7WSM.

these loads are what i used as work up loads in my rifle,
i used remington 9&1/2 mag primers and worked up up to 66.0 grains of h1000 and jumped the 180 berger .020, without pressure signs not even flatten primers.
i still have more room before i get to max pressure.

i dont know what length of barrel they used in these loads, mine is 26inch benchmark, but i think i should get to 2950 without really pushing to hard.

these are from 6mmbr.com
H1000 66.5 Fed 210M 180gr JLK VLD 2900 Win Brass. 1/4" at 100 yards. Near Max. 2.312" Base to Ogive.

H1000 66.2 Fed 215 Mag 180gr Berger VLD 2950 Win Brass. Good load (1/3 MOA) for LR precision or tactical matches

I found another load for this if any of you guys are interested.

I used 72.5 gr. of WC860 behind a 180 Berger. Velocity was still down compared the the H1000 a little bit. But for $25 an 8# pound jug it
works pretty good.

<span style="color: #6633FF">Edit: for got to add the velocity is about 2830. I got the same elevations with Berger 180's with the WC860 as I do the H1000</span>

62.5 gr. H4831 & 210M send the 180's out of my 29+" Rock at 3010. Ogive length is 2.365. MOA and less even past 1200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">62.5 gr. H4831 & 210M send the 180's out of my 29+" Rock at 3010. Ogive length is 2.365. MOA and less even past 1200. </div></div>

What kind of chronographs are you guys using to get those numbers? I get 2840fps with 62.5gr of H4831SC and 28" Rock barrel. How the hell are you getting those speeds? And extra inch of barrel isnt giving you 150fps. I would look at those numbers again.

What I can't understand is how many times can you guys reload cases? Using as much 4831 as I am H1000. I'm doing all this out of a Winchester 26" barrel.

Ive got 4 reloads on 1 set of brass right now, but I did anneal it before I shot them, and now Ill anneal them before I bump the shoulder back and reload them for the 5th time. Im hoping they will last long. If the primer pockets loosen up on me, Ill use Hart's case saver on them and tighten them up again. If you anneal every 2-4th reload, they should last a long time. Also if you only neck size, they should last longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I can't understand is how many times can you guys reload cases? Using as much 4831 as I am H1000. I'm doing all this out of a Winchester 26" barrel. </div></div>

Well, I will be a good test case.
grin.gif

I am now on the 6th reloading of my brass (200). I don't anneal, and I full length (or at least bump the shoulder back) every time I reload. I was just examining 50 cases last night that I was prepping and everything still looks really good. The primer pockets still feel nice as well. My plan is to now really pay attention to split necks and such and throw them away as I see problems. I have heard of people getting at least 8 reloads out of their cases without annealing, and right now I believe I will get at least that number......

I'm on 14 loadings. Neck size and full length resize every 4th to 5th cycle. I also anneal every time I full length resize too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I can't understand is how many times can you guys reload cases? Using as much 4831 as I am H1000. I'm doing all this out of a Winchester 26" barrel. </div></div>

grin.gif

I am now on the 6th reloading of my brass (200). I don't anneal, and I full length (or at least bump the shoulder back) every time I reload. I was just examining 50 cases last night that I was prepping and everything still looks really good. The primer pockets still feel nice as well. My plan is to now really pay attention to split necks and such and throw them away as I see problems. I have heard of people getting at least 8 reloads out of their cases without annealing, and right now I believe I will get at least that number......</div></div>

I'm on my 11th reload with this particular batch of cases. The necks are getting thin. And I've lost four cases. Started with 20 down to 16. I loaded a little hot at first and spread out two primer pockets. Smashed one neck in the press and had one burned through neck after firing.

I just have the Shooting Chrony from Sportsman's Warehouse. From what i understand is that maybe the cheaper chronographs are not the accurate anyways. I just use it form load development, and to look for ES, SD. I then go shoot my load out and long range. Normally from 1400 to 1600 yards, and check my dope. I just use the Brian Litz G7 of .337. Put in what i think my true muzzle velocity would be. Chron seams to always be on the low side most of the time anyway. I shoot and see what my actual dope is. Then only change my MV till my Bullistic computer matches what i am shooting. Then everything from inside that yardage is dead on. The farther out the better. This is my current set up
Gap 7wsm 700 short action
26" Bartlein 1-9.5
Nightforce nsx 5.5X22X50
61g 4831sc 2985fps
4500 Agl
60 deg
1389 yards 37.8 MOA

I dont care what chrono you are running, you are not getting 3010 fps with only 62.5gr of H4831SC and 30" tube. Unless that is one hella fast batch of H4831SC.

Please run that load through another chrono and you will see that you are in the upper 2800's maybe low and I mean low 2900's

see now this guy is getting the speeds I would expect with the amount of powder he is using, you are using .5gr less than him, and have a barrel that is only 2 inches longer, you are not getting an extrta 130fps with 2 inches of barrel, there is just no way.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roccafella</div><div class="ubbcode-body">63gr. of 4831sc is pushin a 180 VLD right at 2900fps through my 28" Broughton </div></div>

Well this guy didn't actually use a chronograph, just matchin up numbers from my dope. It seems to be a sweet load but I'm only at 250'ASL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I can't understand is how many times can you guys reload cases? Using as much 4831 as I am H1000. I'm doing all this out of a Winchester 26" barrel. </div></div>

grin.gif

I am now on the 6th reloading of my brass (200). I don't anneal, and I full length (or at least bump the shoulder back) every time I reload. I was just examining 50 cases last night that I was prepping and everything still looks really good. The primer pockets still feel nice as well. My plan is to now really pay attention to split necks and such and throw them away as I see problems. I have heard of people getting at least 8 reloads out of their cases without annealing, and right now I believe I will get at least that number......</div></div>

I'm on my 11th reload with this particular batch of cases. The necks are getting thin. And I've lost four cases. Started with 20 down to 16. I loaded a little hot at first and spread out two primer pockets. Smashed one neck in the press and had one burned through neck after firing.</div></div>

The number of reloads for this batch of cases is high as it's my test batch and I don't usually ever load hot. They have only been over 2900 once. I'm sure the lower pressure of the H1000 is a big factor as well.

i got 2930fps via 62.5g of h-4831sc out of a 25in obymeyer with the 180g vld bergers

I'm not using H4831SC. I use the standard non SC version. I will make a range day of a couple three chrono's in a row. I will use my 35P and another fellows 35P at a minimum and post the printer strips. It is what it is.

ffl, Im not trying to bust your chops, please understand. And not using SC model powder is even worse because H4831SC is a little bit faster than the standard H4831 which makes it even harder to belive your speeds. Please redo a 10 shot string over another chrono and let me know the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got 2930fps via 62.5g of h-4831sc out of a 25in obymeyer

</div></div>

With 180 Bergers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got 2930fps via 62.5g of h-4831sc out of a 25in obymeyer

</div></div>

With 180 Bergers? </div></div>

yes with 180g vld's

I have never seen a difference between the 4831 and 4831SC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never seen a difference between the 4831 and 4831SC. </div></div>

neither have I. The IMR variant of H-4831 is a little quicker though

With the same load, I always got about 20fps faster with SC.

For what it is worth, QuickLOAD says 2976 fps with 180 vld and 62.5gr H4831SC, 30" tube.

I don't know what else to say other than I got a fast barrel. 2953 for the first shot thru an oiled bore, and the second shot was...3018. i entered a solution for 1040 yds, and it shot MOA for 12 rounds in 7-15 mph winds. I got a good one I guess. Not to mention that I don't have to size my brass at all either.

64.4 GR. H4831 gives 3088 AVG. @ 12'
ES 10
SD 5
Didn't get to check the accuracy as the extra one turn on the elevation knob I forgot to take out, put me off the top of the target. The comeups I get with this load and a 200 yard zero, 20 MOA base, will get me past one mile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">64.4 GR. H4831 gives 3088 AVG. @ 12'
ES 10
SD 5
Didn't get to check the accuracy as the extra one turn on the elevation knob I forgot to take out, put me off the top of the target. The comeups I get with this load and a 200 yard zero, 20 MOA base, will get me past one mile.</div></div>

How many shots are you running over you chrono to get a sd of 5 with a es of 10?

Holy shit, that is one fast barrel. I am pretty sure mine isn't that fast and I am using 1.1 more grains of powder. I also run moly and I have a big jump to my lands so the pressure doesnt come on as soon.

Damn I'm using 64.5 grains of 4831sc and I'm only getting 2900 out of my GAP