• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 180 Berger velocity

CarbonOne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Utah
How fast can a 7mm 180gr beger vld be pushed before coming apart in flight? I'm looking at pushing one 3300-3500 fps.

Re: 180 Berger velocity

Hunting vld or target vld? I don't see either one being too big of problem, but I have no personal data on this.
What lead slinger is going to be launching said pills at such a ferocious rate?

Dunno but it would be a very very accurate rifle.

The BC on the projectile is insane, and with a shortened lag time from such a high MV... shit... would be good with the wind thats for sure.

Im guessing a .338 Lapua case necked down to 7mm shooting that pill would get you that speed. Ditto with a .300rum case necked down.

Tagged. Prolly have to be a lapua case necked down, I am told the 7 rum will only push them to 31-32 with a long barrel.

The target version - slightly thicker jackets - was designed to hold together at higher speeds than the hunting, but I'm not sure the goal was 3,500 fps.

I have a guy shooting 7STW at my range in F-Class - he runs the 168s at laser speeds from that 30" barreled rig, and they hold up just fine. His rifle makes my 7WSM looks like a weenie in the wind. amazing.

JeffVN

The answer might have something to do with twist rate, but probably more to do with how well the core is bonded to the jacket - meaning that it's probably an issue specific to each individual bullet and therefore to manufacturing consistency.

Personally, I have no idea why one would want to drive them that fast except for fun.

BTW, I have obtained excellent accuracy from them at 2630fps.

It's a 7mm tejas. Longrange hunting rig. From what I can gather it's an improved 7mm rum. My buddy shoots one and hasn't had any problems. His hunting load is just over 3300.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone else has experience driving them that fast.

On paper this thing is the BOMB for hunting.

His is extreemly accurate.

An impact velocity of 2200-2600 fps is ideal. At what distance does he hunt and what does the extra velocity do to bullet performance at less than ideal ranges? After all, the animal won't know it's been hit with an extra few hundred feet per second...

I think the main thing with this caliber is the insane wind bucking capabilities and raw energy. We hunt a lot of big country with windy canyons. Wind is the killer.

I have a 338rum that's a great longrange build, but it's too heavy for much mountain packing.

I shot a deer over 700 with the 6.5x284 this past year and it works, but just seems to lack the "authority" of the big boomers.

So, I'm thinking of bumping up to a heavier 7mm bullet over the 6.5 I kind of have 30 cal burnout after using a 300 rum as my primary hunting gun the last 10 years.

Looking for the next best thing I guess, but aren't we all. :)
I'm either goin 7mm tejas, 7mm wsm, or 7mm saum. I have a standard 7mm.

338 lapua to a 7mm? I bet that'd be a hot mess.

If I go the tejas route I doubt i'd shoot it much after getting it sighted it in and a load worked up. Hopefully get a few years worth of hunting out of the barrel.

How fast are folks tossing 180s out of the 7mm SAUM? I have been checking around to have a long range AR10 style weapon built, and that's my caliber of choice. Saw the DPMS A-300 that sold a few days ago for jsut over $800 and I was in tears. I would have snagged that, had it re-barreld to a 1:8 7mm and been happier than a pig in shit.
I was looking to get at least 3000fps but never even considered 3200+

Pretty sure they are throwing them equal or 50fps slower than with the 7wsm cbass. I doubt you would get anywhere near 3200+ with either case, but dont know for sure.

yeah, all the info I have read is saying "at or just barely short of the WSM in velocity, but using less powder in a more efficient case" the 3200 is just wishful thinking in a gas gun, but that 3500 is wild. I'd like to read more about how effective it would be, IF IT WORKED.

I figured if I could get even close to these numbers in an AR platform...it would be a hammer for anything I'd need or want to shoot. Granted, in a gas gun with a 24" barrel, the velocity is unlikely (even if you shoot with the gas turned off), but it's worth trying because even at 2700 or 2800, it would be a hard hitter beyond a 1000.
7mmSAUM.jpg