• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

180grn vs. 175grn SMK .30 cal

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    I have several boxes of each and was wondering if there was any/much difference between the two. I have a .308 and a .300 WM that it would be shot out of. One of my 180 grn box is very old if that makes a difference. I stick to my .260 but want to have my .308 ready. Thanks in advance.

Re: 180grn vs. 175grn SMK .30 cal

You know what I mean. B.C., finiky, or anything that I don't know. Got some 168 SMK's and AMAX's that I usually shoot, but a friends 175 load shoots much flatter and with less wind that the 168 SMK that I normally shoot

I think in the old days they made a 168 and a 180, then they came out with the 175 which fills both roles. If you have some I don't see a reason to not use them.

The "Old" Sierra 180-grain Match King had a long boat-tail which was very aerodynamic. They have since changed it to a shorter boat-tail which is not nearly so. These were favored for Camp Perry 1,000-yard long-range match M14s, balancing weight with room for powder to push the bullet as fast as possible from a 22-inch barrel.

The 180 Game King retains the old long boat-tail angle and has been shot to good effect at Camp Perry.

As Lake City dies for 173-grain Match started wearing out the Marines requested a bullet with the accuracy of the 168 that would remain supersonic at 1,000 yards out of M40s and M14 rifles. From older articles by Kevin Thomas (formerly of Sierra), Sierra engineers took the ogive of the 155 Match King, lengthened the shank, and modified the boat-tail. It is an effective long-range 7.62 bullet.

You could shoot the 180 out of a .300, but the .300 shines with bullets 190 and heavier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "Old" Sierra 180-grain Match King had a long boat-tail which was very aerodynamic. They have since changed it to a shorter boat-tail which is not nearly so. These were favored for Camp Perry 1,000-yard long-range match M14s, balancing weight with room for powder to push the bullet as fast as possible from a 22-inch barrel.

The 180 Game King retains the old long boat-tail angle and has been shot to good effect at Camp Perry.

As Lake City dies for 173-grain Match started wearing out the Marines requested a bullet with the accuracy of the 168 that would remain supersonic at 1,000 yards out of M40s and M14 rifles. From older articles by Kevin Thomas (formerly of Sierra), Sierra engineers took the ogive of the 155 Match King, lengthened the shank, and modified the boat-tail. It is an effective long-range 7.62 bullet.

You could shoot the 180 out of a .300, but the .300 shines with bullets 190 and heavier.</div></div> Would that be the 180, the one you stated came from the 155 ogive, longer shank, and mod boat tail?

Would there be much difference out to 600-700 yds between the two bullets? I don't shoot my .308 much but want to have some ammo loaded for it. I am not just going to mix it or anything rather than have my scope zerod for the 175 that I feel I will like more than my 168's nad have the 180's on stand by. I wouldn't think there would be alot of differencebetween them in the shortrange but I have been wrong more than once before.