• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1903 .32 hammerless Colt 1920's mfg.

mewillis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2002
Florida
I figured you guys might enjoy a good story about a famous little pistol. These were used for decades, the history is super interesting.
The one shown here belongs to a lady friend of mine, it was her late fathers. Serial # is mfg. 1920, grips are real mother of pearl no cracks!! It's 100 years old......

I also have another friend whose mother was a bomber pilot during WW2 in the Army air corp. who couldn't use the .45 1911 and asked her CO if she could trade for a .32 hammerless which she did get. Now he has the same .32 in his collection. I love reading about historical guns and especially great stories on historical pieces. But I'm more of a modern gun guy myself, but for those of you that like historical guns, enjoy.

Odd coincidence I came on here and looked this up. I just picked one of these up a few days ago. Mine is 333XXX serial number so these are close to each other. I love the grips on this one, but mine are the original black grips. I have always looked but never thought to own one of these and then laid my hands on one about a month ago and decided I needed to see if I could find one. This pistol is very comfortable and I am going to use it as my EDC. Yours is a nice piece of history, congrats!

Reactions: Buckley
Here is a picture of the one my Grandfather carried in WW2. My mother has it now. I need to look up its vintage as its serial number is 2xxx!
95CD398D-3B72-472A-B6D5-66CC301857C7.jpeg

Odd coincidence I came on here and looked this up. I just picked one of these up a few days ago. Mine is 333XXX serial number so these are close to each other. I love the grips on this one, but mine are the original black grips. I have always looked but never thought to own one of these and then laid my hands on one about a month ago and decided I needed to see if I could find one. This pistol is very comfortable and I am going to use it as my EDC. Yours is a nice piece of history, congrats!
They are handsome guns and my example shoots well, but if carried please understand these are not drop safe. It just wasn't considered in the design. A well known and respected gun writer was killed recently when one fell to the ground and discharged. I'll attempt to find the story.

85bf6c504.png

Great guns and were the basis for the General Officers Pistol. Colt advertised them heavily for EDC. Back in the 1920s

7bc4a986e.png

They are very safe guns, but if worn or dropped can go off. And with no hammer are really not an ideal modern choice for a CCW.

But they are accurate, comfortable and beautifully engineered and made. If the OP’s gun has factory MOP grips, it is quite valuable. Worth getting a Colt Letter if those could have been factory grips.

Great thread!

Sirhr

Beautiful guns. I have the 1908 Hammerless and it is a slick little piece.

Grips look a lot more like ivory in the pics than MOP.

Reactions: Fig
I figured you guys might enjoy a good story about a famous little pistol. These were used for decades, the history is super interesting.
The one shown here belongs to a lady friend of mine, it was her late fathers. Serial # is mfg. 1920, grips are real mother of pearl no cracks!! It's 100 years old......

I also have another friend whose mother was a bomber pilot during WW2 in the Army air corp. who couldn't use the .45 1911 and asked her CO if she could trade for a .32 hammerless which she did get. Now he has the same .32 in his collection. I love reading about historical guns and especially great stories on historical pieces. But I'm more of a modern gun guy myself, but for those of you that like historical guns, enjoy.

“Pearl is for pimps.” Somebody had to say it.

Very interested to hear about this lady bomber pilot. I know that both England and the US had a civilian ferry service made up of women (to free up all male pilots for combat duty), but I thought they had no military standing and were not issued uniforms much less a sidearm. Sounds like a sea story....

FN also produced thousands of these under JMB license (in 9X20mm Browning). My wife’s grandfather (Artillery FO) had several of these he picked off German officers. They were a very common officer sidearm in many European armies before WWII and it was a status symbol for German officers to wear these. They were considered much more valuable than Lugers or Mausers because they were a much rarer battlefield pickup for our GIs. He always had a bag of Lugers and Mausers in his Jeep to trade the supply guys for stuff, but he kept the FN 1903s.

“Pearl is for pimps.” Somebody had to say it.

Very interested to hear about this lady bomber pilot. I know that both England and the US had a civilian ferry service made up of women (to free up all male pilots for combat duty), but I thought they had no military standing and were not issued uniforms much less a sidearm. Sounds like a sea story....

Hey Fig: WAC (Women's Auxiliary Corps), WAAF (Women's Auxiliary Air Force), WASP (women's auxiliary service pilots), WAF's (Women's Auxiliary Ferry Service) WAVES, etc. definitely had uniforms (including dress uniforms that they had to pay for themselves) and had a 'protocol' rank that would give them a position in the pecking order. They were never military, but civilian organizations. But might has well have been military in their own organizations and in their interactions with the War Department. They just did not qualify for military benefits (insurance, GI Bill, etc.)

I think that status was changed in the 1970's and they were all (at least in the U.S.) qualified as veterans and for benefits commensurate with service and rank.

Before she passed on, I wa s friends with Diana Barnato Walker, who was a British ATA pilot. Her grandfather was Barney Barnato, of Kimberly fame. And her father was LeMans racer Wolff Barnato. She was one of the wealthiest women in the world. In WW2, she was a transport pilot and one of the two qualified on four-engined Lancasters. In the 1950's she became the 'fastest woman alive' when she flew an RAF jet at insane speeds. An amazing lady. I have a letter from her framed on the wall right across from me, in fact.

So, yes, there was standing. I, too, would like to know more about the bomber pilot and her pistol. If that provenance is established and that gun was carried by her on missions (even ferry missions) it is museum-worthy in every respect! It probably should be at the National Firearms Museum, the Air Force Museum in Dayton or the WASP museum in Texas. Be a shame to let that gun and its history get separated!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I love 'em and started a effort to find old ones that were basically going to be rusted/destroyed and bought them up and tricked them out with hard chrome and trigger/action jobs and sights and basically made silk purses out of guns whose value as a collectible was zero. Check out my 1923 built Pocket Hammerless for occasional CC...
1923CPHAppendix.jpg

ColtPH1923.jpg

Then I discovered if I was gonna source these and trick 'em and resell I'd have to get a FFL and that was the end of that. But I still managed to get some of these rebuilt and they are fabulous shooters. Later Type III versions have a more robust sear and half cock notch and I have not found them to drop the hammer when dropped. The later hammers and parts fit the earlier guns with some fitting and a good pistol smith can trick them and keep them safe for carry.

Plus they are excellent starter guns for small people or folks who are intimidated. My Wife and I have saved quite a few women who got started shooting on .357 mag. Revolvers or .40 Glocks by their significant others and wanted zero to do with CCL until we showed them smaller less punishing pistols.

VooDoo

@Vodoun daVinci that is a slick looking setup and I usually don’t like stainless/hard chrome/nickel finishes. You have one of them in 380 by chance

I'm really glad so many of you are into these pistols, they truly are all special. The grips are thick MOP I happen to know the difference but just not sure if they are factory, perhaps way back they could be purchased as accessories. And while "pearl is for pimps" it sure is beautiful but fragile and I'm surprised they have survived without cracking. My friend is going to get an archival Colt letter so she can learn the official history of her fathers .32
And as for my buddy whose mom was a WASP absolutely true, not only that but her other son went on to be an airline pilot following his
mothers passion of flying. What a great story some of these pistols tell........

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I love 'em and started a effort to find old ones that were basically going to be rusted/destroyed and bought them up and tricked them out with hard chrome and trigger/action jobs and sights and basically made silk purses out of guns whose value as a collectible was zero. Check out my 1923 built Pocket Hammerless for occasional CC...
View attachment 7364902

View attachment 7364904

Then I discovered if I was gonna source these and trick 'em and resell I'd have to get a FFL and that was the end of that. But I still managed to get some of these rebuilt and they are fabulous shooters. Later Type III versions have a more robust sear and half cock notch and I have not found them to drop the hammer when dropped. The later hammers and parts fit the earlier guns with some fitting and a good pistol smith can trick them and keep them safe for carry.

Plus they are excellent starter guns for small people or folks who are intimidated. My Wife and I have saved quite a few women who got started shooting on .357 mag. Revolvers or .40 Glocks by their significant others and wanted zero to do with CCL until we showed them smaller less punishing pistols.

VooDoo
That crisp, rampant pony is all the evidence you need that’s a professional restoration. It is so crisp I would guess a professional engraver touched it up before plating.

Cool Colt !!
I let a “shooter” .32 get away from me , well two actually. The
”shooter” was part of a trade for something I wanted more.
The other .32 was owned by my Aunt &Uncle in New Mexico , a TRUE new in box with all paperwork ! They we’re both in their 90’s and my Aunt wanted to gift it to me then. He said it was his only protection , so I was assured it would end up mine. We know where this story ends ? 😩 I ended up with a sweet .380 circa 1925-1926.
AA9E44F5-54A8-4E16-981A-6CC33D90D51C.jpeg

Hey Fig: WAC (Women's Auxiliary Corps), WAAF (Women's Auxiliary Air Force), WASP (women's auxiliary service pilots), WAF's (Women's Auxiliary Ferry Service) WAVES, etc. definitely had uniforms (including dress uniforms that they had to pay for themselves) and had a 'protocol' rank that would give them a position in the pecking order. They were never military, but civilian organizations. But might has well have been military in their own organizations and in their interactions with the War Department. They just did not qualify for military benefits (insurance, GI Bill, etc.)

I think that status was changed in the 1970's and they were all (at least in the U.S.) qualified as veterans and for benefits commensurate with service and rank.

Before she passed on, I wa s friends with Diana Barnato Walker, who was a British ATA pilot. Her grandfather was Barney Barnato, of Kimberly fame. And her father was LeMans racer Wolff Barnato. She was one of the wealthiest women in the world. In WW2, she was a transport pilot and one of the two qualified on four-engined Lancasters. In the 1950's she became the 'fastest woman alive' when she flew an RAF jet at insane speeds. An amazing lady. I have a letter from her framed on the wall right across from me, in fact.

So, yes, there was standing. I, too, would like to know more about the bomber pilot and her pistol. If that provenance is established and that gun was carried by her on missions (even ferry missions) it is museum-worthy in every respect! It probably should be at the National Firearms Museum, the Air Force Museum in Dayton or the WASP museum in Texas. Be a shame to let that gun and its history get separated!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I knew a WASP that lived in Shreveport most her life. She had some cool stories of flying P-51’s from California to points East. One was going through the Grand Canyon where she said the gals got to show out !! She continued flying until she couldn’t pass her flight physicals.
She worked hard getting them their well deserved benefits. She died at 101 yrs

Reactions: mewillis
@Vodoun daVinci that is a slick looking setup and I usually don’t like stainless/hard chrome/nickel finishes. You have one of them in 380 by chance

Nope, no .380's. The gun was originally designed around a 32 ACP which was also invented by the same guy - John Browning. So I have shot some of the .380's *but* in my opinion the .32 is The Bomb. I hand load .32 for my Colts and have run those Rim Rock 75 gr. Hard Cast bullets at near 1200 fps and some plated 71 gr flat noses at roughly the same....they get penetration and come like a machine gun out of these Colts which are all hand fitted from back in the day. They shoot like a sharp pair of scissors.

Not my EDC gun but I wouldn't feel like it won't do it's job if I need it plus mine has a trigger and action job and it's just really fun and fast to shoot. They make new ones at like $2000 a pop and they are awesome but the the old guns in nice condition can be had for <$600 and with another <$600 in hard chrome or refreshing/tricking you have a fabulous brag about pistol (my nephew begs to fobdle wy 1903's every time he sees one) for like 1/2 of what a new one costs *and* the old ones are tighter and more finely hand fit.

Loves me some Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless....

I got another one I wanna rebuild if I get a job again. 1919 built Type III that just oozes cool...

I inherited this one built in 1918 and it was carried in a coat pocket by 3 generations of my Wife's kin on the farm and "Go to Town Pistol" on Saturday night.

PointShooting.jpg

Point Shoots like a MoFo. We put 100 rounds thru it on it's 100th birthday back in 2018 and we had an audience at the range. I love these pistols.

VooDoo

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Nope, no .380's. The gun was originally designed around a 32 ACP which was also invented by the same guy - John Browning. So I have shot some of the .380's *but* in my opinion the .32 is The Bomb. I hand load .32 for my Colts and have run those Rim Rock 75 gr. Hard Cast bullets at near 1200 fps and some plated 71 gr flat noses at roughly the same....they get penetration and come like a machine gun out of these Colts which are all hand fitted from back in the day. They shoot like a sharp pair of scissors.

Not my EDC gun but I wouldn't feel like it won't do it's job if I need it plus mine has a trigger and action job and it's just really fun and fast to shoot. They make new ones at like $2000 a pop and they are awesome but the the old guns in nice condition can be had for <$600 and with another <$600 in hard chrome or refreshing/tricking you have a fabulous brag about pistol (my nephew begs to fobdle wy 1903's every time he sees one) for like 1/2 of what a new one costs *and* the old ones are tighter and more finely hand fit.

Loves me some Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless....

I got another one I wanna rebuild if I get a job again. 1919 built Type III that just oozes cool...

I inherited this one built in 1918 and it was carried in a coat pocket by 3 generations of my Wife's kin on the farm and "Go to Town Pistol" on Saturday night.

View attachment 7365084

Point Shoots like a MoFo. We put 100 rounds thru it on it's 100th birthday back in 2018 and we had an audience at the range. I love these pistols.

VooDoo
they are super neat pistols for sure. I have a late 30s 1908 hammerless in 380 that is too nice to mess with. Never carried it but it looks like it would fit the bill pretty good sometimes. I have shot several of the older 20s and 30s 32acp guns and they all seem to point very well. Maybe one day I’ll drag up a beater and refinish it to carry around. I had a waffenampt marked JP Sauer 38H that was in terrible shape so it had been black oxide coated and it shot like a champ. Almost felt bad selling it but I have another laying around so the bad feeling didn’t last long. Thanks for sharing and happy shooting. Here is my 1908

F6F04D78-D1F5-4298-AE6C-712071883F57.jpeg

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Fucking Yum...no,we don't shoot nor modify the collectibles or the Safe Queens but there are literally *thousands* of these guns rusting away in a sock drawer or sitting in a box of stuff Great Uncle Albert left 30 years ago when he passed. After my FIL passed all of us kids and in laws got together and divvy d up his collection by a complicated process like an auction gone wild. Long story short we wrote our first choices on a note card and my first choice was uncontested...I wanted the beat to shit Colt Pocket Hammerless that was in his coat pocket...I knew where it came from. His dad inherited from his dad who bought it in 1918 and it dispatched many a dying cow or was settled in a pocket in 1930 when it hit the fan on the farms. Nobody wanted it or knew what it was. I have not touched it other than to oil it and shoot it. It ain't pretty but it'll do it's job.

Started an obsession with me on Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless Model M pistols. I still love 'em and always will...there will never be pistols like this again. Grab 'em where you find them.

VooDoo

Last edited:
Reactions: roostercogburn98