• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903-A3 and 1903-A4 Rifles Available @ Creedmoor

Re: 1903-A3 and 1903-A4 Rifles Available @ Creedmoor

Vintage Old and New

That is the problem. I spent a long time practicing with my Enfield only to hear more weapons were being approved for the "Vintage" competition. After many trips to the range I started to understand the Tel Sighting Mark 1 on my T. This is the scope armorers said, "gave piles a good name". Unfortunately Gibbs rushed a rifle into production that wasn't ready. My Gibbs arrived in Feb.of 2012 and I was worried because of the bad press. Fortunately it was a shooter. Our opinion out here is that there should be another class for "new old" production. It was encouraging to see the originals at Camp Perry and the Western CMP Game.I would like to have seen the gear used posted with scores.

I agree - a rifle is either vintage or not. So separate classes should exist in a competition.

As to the No32, the problems with the early Mk1 scopes are well documented and the design was revised during it's service life - that is a fundamental part of any on-going development. So the anomolies of the Mk1 - such as no backlash elimination, three hands required to zero etc.- were eliminated by the Mk3.

That is perfectly understandable and today we make our choices as to whether we try to find a later Mk3 or not.

But, in the case of Gibbs, this cannot be used as an excuse for sub-standard products. They are/were not subject to any of the pressures to supply that having the Nazi hordes banging on your door creates.
wink.gif

Maybe Gibbs have/had market or financial pressures to rush to market...but that is all.

Gibbs are simply replicating products from the past that had completed their development cycle - it is a simple copying process, not ironing out design issues and evolving/advancing those designs.

They also have the added advantage of 70+ years of advances in production techniques and materials if they wished to use them (especially in respect of those initial repro scopes!).

The issues (certainly the earlier 2010 Gibbs, which is the one I have experience of) are simply to do with the commercial expediency of building to a budget, sourcing the cheapest solutions/materials possible in order to maximise profit, poor workmanship/attention to detail and throwing a rifle together with whatever comes to hand whether it was the correct part or not (my mates' rifle had a Krag trigger guard screw that was 8mm too short for the job as an example).

I'm happy to hear that your Gibbs experience is a good one - for many it has not been.

I am also sure that Creedmoor will have studied the mistakes made by Gibbs and would not wish to repeat them.

I see in the Creedmore Catalog they list a 1903A1 version with the 8x scope. I might have to make a phone and order one of these .....

I went to their website, and didn't see anything like that. Can you provide a link?

Actually, just found their 8x scopes under a different section. Interesting.

Looked great! Thanks for the link.

BillyLo,

Yeah, they are interesting. I've not heard anything, one way or the other, on these "Hi-Lix" scopes? Anyone know anything about them? Quality? Reliability? etc....

I'd like to try one, but I'm still hesitant on the drill receivers holding up to modern day loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GillaFunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$2,0000. WTF!!!

Jesus FUCK! </div></div>
Have you priced an original one? Given what they go for and what a lot of guys are putting into their guns for the vintage sniper matches (which aren't really "vintage", at all, but custom guns
smirk.gif
), that's cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GillaFunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$2,0000. WTF!!!

Jesus FUCK! </div></div>

Try putting a quality 1903A1 together. Ain't cheap. I'm finishing mine in the next couple of weeks.

Joop and trilogymac speak the truth!!

If for $2000 you get a gun that is twice as good as the Gibbs offering, then see it as money well spent!!

There's a couple of 1903A4's floating around here in the UK....one at £4,500, the other at £5,000 (x1.6 for US$). The higher figure is pretty much what my 1903A1 replica has set me back using an original USMC Unertl x8

I'll probably end up getting one, just because I really like '03 action. Add that nice cool looking scope and a nice barrel, get it bedded; should be a pretty dammed good shooter.

I have the Gibbs, works fine for me, but yes the scope is not too good.

100M group on first outing on top left:

cf100m.jpg

spr4.jpg

I think this would an excellent deer rifle. Accurate enough at ethical distances, powerful, and somewhat weather resistant if it is parkerized. And you would have a cool rifle to look at if nothing walks by. Yep, it's perfect for deer.

I also have a Gibbs and I love mine. I have no complaints. Fit and finish is excellent. Barrel is dated 2011, and it has the "Hi-Lux" M73G2 scope on it (2.5X). My accuracy so far has been greatly superior to any of my other mil-surps. I've put less than 100 rounds thru it to date.

Here is a comprehensive review of the Gibbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcc99z8PPQw

just shot some more with the Creedmoor and I love it.

Was in a hurry and it was getting dark when I shot these this evening. For that 2.5x scope it is not bad at all.

I don't have mad gunsmithing skills, but I made up my own 1903A4 clone off a a 1903 I picked up off of Gunbroker. Started out as a sporter, I sold off the fiberglass stock, sporter barrel, and Leupold scope that it came with. I was about $12 ahead at that point - had the receiver, scope base, and rings left. I bought a scant stock, GI barrel, all the stock metal, and a vintage Weaver K2.5 to round out the package. Totalled about $400 or so when it was all done. I've used it with good results in some local matches as well as two CMP Games. What a great sense of satisfaction - doing well with a rifle you've built.

After wading through all the snarky put-downs from those who don't own one, it seems the Creedmoor M1903-A4 is the overall leader, and quite worth the purchase price <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">if</span></span> one desires a tested, guaranteed working facsimile of a very interesting gun at a reasonable price. And it appears to meet the needs of those who may not be willing or caring to either devote years of waiting or bags of money to obtain an original. So why don't all you pouters stop your whining, and let those who choose to own one just enjoy it?
Creedmoor, send me one, please.
smirk.gif

Your Mamma didn't wash your nasty mouth out with soap nor whip your ass enough. Many of us here are Christians, and like me find your combining "Fuck" with the name of the Messiah offensive. I would appreciate your not using that word next to the name of the Lord Jesus. Use it somewhere else if you don't mind.

Jesus FUCK! </div></div>

Fine piece of artillery. Even if it's a clone, anyone with any sense of history would be proud to have that in their rack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Your Mamma didn't wash your nasty mouth out with soap nor whip your ass enough. Many of us here are Christians, and like me find your combining "Fuck" with the name of the Messiah offensive. I would appreciate your not using that word next to the name of the Lord Jesus. Use it somewhere else if you don't mind. </div></div>

Wait, so mom "whipping" my ass is ok? Funny, I would have thought beating ones child wouldn't be ok in the eyes of a Christian.

My apologies, I'll make the correction:

Jesus. Fuck.

Did anyone mention James River?
My happy family.
DSCN0187.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocLes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone mention James River?
My happy family.
DSCN0187.jpg
</div></div>

I didn't say it, and now I wish you hadn't. lol Nice looking lineup of rifles you have.
Some good looking items on the James River web site too.

My first post brought a hail of F's ...LOL

gold-medal-2053-1-oz-popcorn-bag-1000-cs1_zps99845a8e.jpg

Let the good times roll.

37359392.jpg