• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903 barrel in non-military contour?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I want to find a barrel for a 1903 action, but I do not want the standard contour. Is there anyone that offers barrels for them? I know criterion does but they are all standard profile. I am looking for a heavy barrel to do a pet build on a sporterized 1903 that I have.

I have never rebarrelled a rifle before so I am not familiar with the process, so I apologize if my question is dumb.

That's no big deal. You can get any contour barrel basically for a 1903 or 1917 etc....I've rebuilt a 1/2 a dozen or so rifles that have been sporterized etc...

What might be your hang up and you don't say it but I'm gonna take a really good guess is that you want a different contour but you want the barrel prethreaded and possibly chambered is my guess!? Correct? If that's the case you won't find anyone doing to that to my knowledge. To many variations to the contours, calibers, twist etc...and the 1903 action like a 1917 have square 10 threads per inch for receiver threads.

We could make you a barrel and contour it but you would need someone to thread, chamber and time and do the extractor cut.

If you don't have a gunsmith to do that work we can do that for you as well but we need your receiver in hand to do the fitting.

Later, Frank
Bartlein barrels

Hey Frank, thank you very much for the reply. I have never rebarrelled a rifle before, but this year I have two rifles that need them. I was unsure what needs to be done at the manufacturers and what the smith takes care of.

My goal for this project is kind of an abomination. I want to make an M40 "clone" in 30-06 because I have a few other 06's and hate adding more cailbers. And since I have this old beat up 1903 laying around, I thought why buy a donor action when I can use this.

Jerome Soltis has been by smith in the past, right now he has one of my rifles, so I was thinking of doing this build later winter/early springtime.

Hey Frank, thank you very much for the reply. I have never rebarrelled a rifle before, but this year I have two rifles that need them. I was unsure what needs to be done at the manufacturers and what the smith takes care of.

My goal for this project is kind of an abomination. I want to make an M40 "clone" in 30-06 because I have a few other 06's and hate adding more cailbers. And since I have this old beat up 1903 laying around, I thought why buy a donor action when I can use this.

Jerome Soltis has been by smith in the past, right now he has one of my rifles, so I was thinking of doing this build later winter/early springtime.

Your welcome! Again just order the contour you want in the caliber. Your smith will thread, chamber, and do the extractor cut and timing and cut and crown the muzzle.

Need any help let me know.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels