• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1903 Springfield NM

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I had the old girl out of lockup dusting her off today, and I thought I would share a couple pics. Enjoy
    1903SpringfieldNationalMatch049.jpg

1903SpringfieldNationalMatch051.jpg

1903SpringfieldNationalMatch065.jpg

1903SpringfieldNationalMatch053-1.jpg

Re: 1903 Springfield NM

Very nice!

What is the front sight on your rifle? Looks like a globe of some type in the photo.

I have a 1903 that was built around the same time period in the 1920's, serial number on mine is 12706XX. Mine sold through DCM in 1937.

It is a globe front sight- it was on the rifle when I acquired it. I'll take a closer look and see if I can come up with some additional information.

That's not your average NM rifle, with the contour of the pistol grip. NM Special? Can't recall and don't have Brophy close by. Beautiful. Thanks for posting up pix. Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oxcart13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's not your average NM rifle, with the contour of the pistol grip.</div></div>

+1....also with the electric pencilled serial on the bolt.

Any other markings?

I'm going off of memory but I think the stock is called the National Match Type B or something like that. I will have to look it up at home when I get a chance. I believe it was only available on the earlier rifles.

Also besides the front sight being added and the rear sight added your gun also has a headless National Match cocking piece/striker assy. This was only available on earlier rifles as well. It was one way of reducing the weight of the firing pin assy. to increase the lock time of the action. I modified a standard springfield striker assy. on my gun to a headless style. Brings the weight of the firing pin assy. down to approx. a standard long action Remington 700 firing pin assy.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels