• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903a4.

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
I'm thinking of replacing my remington 700 in .308 for building up a 1903a4 type rifle. The gun is used mostly out to 1000 yards msot the time I'm shooting in the 600-800 range. I really REALLY like the looks of the 1903a4's and am wondering about the gibbsrifle repro's. I was going to start using my rifle in tactical long range matches around my area and they usually consist of a two man team shooter and spotter. I will be partnered with my buddy who is on the local sheriff dept S.W.A.T. as a sniper/observer we will be switching roles as shooter/spotter. I'm wondering if one of these rifles will perform as well as my remington? What kind of accuracy can be expected of these rifles? How do the barrels hold up? I realize they are not of a real heavy contour but not a very light one either. I'm basically wondering if it's worth the trade of to have a rifle I think looks awesome. Also is there a way to put iron sights on the a4's to possibly shoot iron sited for fun every once and awhile?

Re: 1903a4.

I searched and couldn't find anything but I did a google search and a old thread on here came up and they don't seem to be of very good quality. Guess it was to good to be true. Seemed like it would be a fun gun.

I think there are repro iron sites tht will fit the A4. I heard the gibbs rifles were pretty good. Most of the ones I have read about hold about an inch and a quarter. There are certain drawbacks with the 1903 action. There isnt a whole lot of machining you can do for blueprinting due to the lack of material. I dont see any tactical style stocks, nor many bases for scopes aside from standard 2pc weavers. Barrels are barrels, you can most likely get a heavy contour barrel done for it. Mcmillan would be a good start for a stock. I have seen universal picatinny rails that could be drilled and probably machined to add some MOA for your scope. I think it would be a cool project, but I think some $$$ and custm stuff will be in order. Good luck to ya.

And yes I did some research for a friend of mine who has a sporterized version. Its nice, but it has a 50's era 3x Bausch and Lomb scope that isnt worth the metal its made from, and the stock is cracked. Another friend of mine has a good repro that all of a sudden wornt chamber a round. Its like the chamber shrank and the round only goes half way. Make sure you check the rifle out good, bring a dummy round to check functionality, and give it a good visual.

I don't think that the Gibbs reproductions are "bad" per se in comparison with the original rifles in terms of performance with proper ammo, etc., but people seem to get a misplaced idea that the original 03A4 rifles were in some way the holy grail of sniper rifles and that they were capable of astounding acts of accuracy, etc. Well...they were a big improvement over the service rifles of the time in terms of long-range accuracy, etc., but they were still service rifles, tuned slightly for duty as a sniper rifle and equiped with a scope. Not a major development or advancement in terms of abilities.

The original 03A4's were capable of approx. 2MOA accuracy or perhaps slightly better. The Gibbs reproductions I have seen were/are capable of about the same accuracy. The weak link of the Gibbs is the crappy reproduction scope.

Here are a couple different SH threads on the Gibbs rifles...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1316906&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1287095&page=1

As to your question about performance at 1,000 (comparable to your Remington 700)...NO. While the 30-06 is more than capable of outstanding long-range accuracy...you aren't going to do it with an 03A4 reproduction rifle sporting a crappy chinese scope. Using it in "tactical matches" would be like showing up to your next IPSC even with a 45cal cap and ball black powder revolver. While the Gibbs and other 1903-type rifles are excellent for reenactments, period-correct bolt gun matches, etc., you won't be close to competitive with one in a modern tactical rifle match.